Y’all like rare knives? First run Paramilitary, circa 2004.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Y’all like rare knives? First run Paramilitary, circa 2004.

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Hey guys. Figured I’d take some time and show my original, first run Paramilitary. Maybe Sal can chime in, but by all the research I’ve done this is one of the first Paramilitary’s to be made. It would have been made in 2004.

This one was made before all of the subsequent CQI on the original paramilitary, and still bears the “patent pending” on the clip. I assume for the compression lock.

Also of note, look at the large cutout on the blade tang. The knife actually has no detent ball! The blade is retained in the handle just by the action of the lock bar itself engaging into that cutout when the blade is closed.

This piece is a star of my collection. It is unused and uncarried. Perfect condition. Just wanted to share, and if you have any more info I’d love to hear it! I’d love to hear from Sal if he can chime in.

Edit: not sure why some of the images are being flipped and some aren’t. I can’t seem to make them upload correctly. I flip them and upload them, and they turn the wrong way again. Anyway, click the images for full res.

7EA0CBBD-90C0-464C-9C9F-CDB308A41756.jpeg
ABEF2D77-660B-418D-AB7A-67DC29729DEF.jpeg
192596C7-C891-4F9C-B959-DB242ACFF030.jpeg
6F3F602E-E5B0-4956-B130-E56A9E99C426.jpeg
E9325033-5E13-4D9C-8090-93EB169B180A.jpeg
E24E9C44-6944-4F53-A2B4-C2CD9F6453A0.jpeg
bearrowland

Re: Y’all like rare knives? First run Paramilitary, circa 2004.

Post by bearrowland »

Very nice!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

What's the date code? I have an ED date code Paramilitary that has most of the pre-CQI features but doesn't have the larger exposed cutout on the ricasso or the 'patent pending' clip.

I also have the D2 sprint :)

JMM

Post by JMM »

What a cool piece of history, thanks for sharing, I have never seen one with the cut-out before.

Cheers,

John
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Sweet!

There's a collector's club number on it, so I bet it's absolutely part of the first production run.

We used to have one of these in the knife shop I worked at in college, and I tried incredibly hard to sell it. Unfortunately, the PM2 had recently come out and was all anybody wanted.

Do you happen to have a Para 3? I didn't actually realize that that PM1 was smaller than the PM2 until seeing your comparison pictures. I'd love to see all three lined up!
Last edited by kennethsime on Sat May 16, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that. :cool: :spyder:

Was this one of the first uses of CPM S30V?

And if not, I'm curious what year and model S30V was introduced in?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I had one exactly like that, though not as nice. Got it used off ebay for $50 because the owner didn't know how to sharpen serrations. Used it as my yard knife for a few years, but the ergos of the original ParaMilitary were not good for me so I sold it.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Hey Awayfrommyspydiehole
Cool knife.
Did you have some photos from disassembly? I can't still figured it out how compression lock worked without detent ball. What is keeping the blade closed?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
araneae

Post by araneae »

Pancake wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:07 pm
What is keeping the blade closed?
The lock tab sits in the cutout notch in the tang and that provides the detent.

I've got a PE para 1, it was my first higher end Spyderco. It's got the patent marked clip. I bought it used on eBay with a custom sheath, at the time I couldn't afford a new one. Maybe I'll carry it tomorrow. It's a good reminder of how refined the para series is.

Everything good about the paramilitary got better in the P2. The Para 3 took those refinements and made it more compact. The para 3 lightweights solved the issues I had with the g-10 version, the clip placement and the somewhat blocky handles. I'm probably done buying g-10 variants and I'm expecting a P2 lightweight will materialize sometime soon.

CQI sets Spyderco apart from a lot of other companies. Simply making a good knife and then calling it a done deal isn't their way, but that's how most of their competitors work. There's almost always room for improvement, but each generation, a Spyderco knife tends to have noticably less room for improvement than the previous version.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Because there is no V after the collector number it's absolutely the original version of the knife. Any versions after would have a V at the end to say they're a variation
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is interesting. I did not realize there was a cutout instead of a detent. Why did the move away from the cutout?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Very nice!
Though the serrations look really aggressive.. (compared to many "modern days" SE Spydies)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Nice! I still prefer the early Para's and SE too :) .. some how they suit me much better.
I get why everyone loves the para 2, but while I have a couple, I still can't get excited about them.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:37 pm
This is interesting. I did not realize there was a cutout instead of a detent. Why did the move away from the cutout?
Probably much easier to machine a little hole compared to a large cutout that has to be milled.

Also, since there is no detent ball the contact area between the lock bar and blade is much larger while opening. Therefore more friction.

Detent balls greatly reduce that contact patch while opening and closing the knife, so it feels a lot smoother.

Many reasons really.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Here is the detent on my D2 sprint. Even without a detent ball it is as smooth as glass.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Genius.

Does it hold the blade closed better than the detent?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:59 am
Genius.

Does it hold the blade closed better than the detent?

Not on my example. A nice dialed in detent ball works better. Guessing that’s why they CQI’d it to a ball.

Basically every change that was made to bring us the paramilitary 2 was a positive. This is an AWESOME knife but the paramilitary 2 improves on it in every way.

Expect nothing less from spyderco.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

araneae wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:45 pm
Everything good about the paramilitary got better in the P2. The Para 3 took those refinements and made it more compact. The para 3 lightweights solved the issues I had with the g-10 version, the clip placement and the somewhat blocky handles. I'm probably done buying g-10 variants and I'm expecting a P2 lightweight will materialize sometime soon.

CQI sets Spyderco apart from a lot of other companies. Simply making a good knife and then calling it a done deal isn't their way, but that's how most of their competitors work. There's almost always room for improvement, but each generation, a Spyderco knife tends to have noticably less room for improvement than the previous version.
Man I can get behind this. I think that Sal mentioned somewhere Eric is working on it.

I picked up a Manix 2 LW recently and while it's a great knife, my biggest takeaway is that I can't wait for a Para Military 2 Lightweight.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:13 am
araneae wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:45 pm

Man I can get behind this. I think that Sal mentioned somewhere Eric is working on it.

I picked up a Manix 2 LW recently and while it's a great knife, my biggest takeaway is that I can't wait for a Para Military 2 Lightweight.
Probably one of the (few) points where we DON´T agree ;) (since I know already I´ll prefer the Manix 2 LW over the PM2 LW, just cause I do like the Manix platform more in general), but still I am a bit puzzled that it takes them so long to release a PM2 LW. Must be due to limited production capacity or some strategic thoughts. Just from my total layman point of view, most of the developing work should have been done already with the Para 3 LW (constructing a genious basically linerless comp.lock knife. The concept should be quite "easily" be transferred to the PM2? Could be wrong though, layman as said...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

That original PM was cool.

On a side note, I seem to remember on that old show, Man vs Food, the original host, Adam Richman, used to carry (IIRC) an original PM with a DLC-coated blade. I seem to remember him using it once to open oysters(?), and bringing it out on another episode(s) as well. At first I’d thought it was a Military, but after seeing it more than once, I concluded that it was a PM. This was before the release of the PM2.

Jim