CPM SPY27 steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Post by jdw »

sal wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm
We will all get to test our "baby" together.....in the real world.

Today I'm carrying a production Cobalt blue Para 3 with an SPY27 blade. I know I'm biased, but I'm also honest. This is a very impressive knife. From Eric's design, material quality, function, fit, finish, closing, lock-up and especially the "cut". Our Golden Knifemakers really showed their skill.

sal

I really can't wait to get a Mule for use. I am really intrigued. I generally prefer tool steels but this is an interesting option.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I think this steel in a para3lw will be a great pairing. Honestly, it should come out in a Native too- Spyderco’s eponymous steel in a design native to Golden :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:09 am
I think this steel in a para3lw will be a great pairing. Honestly, it should come out in a Native too- Spyderco’s eponymous steel in a design native to Golden :D
They announced this in a Native 5 G10 and LW, didn't they?

Edit: looks like it was just FRN.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sneaky Pete

Post by Sneaky Pete »

sal wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm
We will all get to test our "baby" together.....in the real world.

Today I'm carrying a production Cobalt blue Para 3 with an SPY27 blade. I know I'm biased, but I'm also honest. This is a very impressive knife. From Eric's design, material quality, function, fit, finish, closing, lock-up and especially the "cut". Our Golden Knifemakers really showed their skill.

sal
Does this mean they will be shipping soon?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pete,

Welcome to our forum.

Shouldn't be too long.

sal
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

zuludelta wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:23 pm
I think what a lot of folks are missing in theoretical discussions about SPY27 is that it's a particle metallurgy steel. That's almost as much a difference-maker as the tweaks to VG-10's chemistry: just think of the differences makers & users have observed between CPM-154 (a particle metallurgy steel) and 154CM (a conventionally cast steel) in wear resistance, toughness, and ease of sharpening despite having the same chemical composition. I imagine the difference in processing alone between VG-10 & SPY27 already has implications regarding strength, toughness, and ductility, even without considering the effects of the addition of cobalt and other elements in the latter.
Good point. I hope we get to see all the long term spyderco designs in it. Specifically the police!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

prndltech wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 pm
Good point. I hope we get to see all the long term spyderco designs in it. Specifically the police!
I'd love to see this too, but I have a feeling that the steel will be exclusive to the Golden models (at least at first).
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:09 am
I agree.I only wish they released the LW Para3 first. I am not crazy about the Native 5 model. I wonder how long before they expand the use of SPY27 in the Military/PM2/Para3 family.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red