Going to the SpyOpera.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Going to the SpyOpera.

Post by abbazaba »

Definitely interested. Really hoping for PB washers instead of nylon.
foofie

Post by foofie »

toocool006 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:40 pm
I wish it was a little slimmer stock than 3mm, but loving the looks of this guy!

Also I could be mistaken, buy isn't MAP 70% now? Making street price of $175?
yes, you are right :(

The frown is for the reduced discount, not because you are right :p
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

The reveal last night and this thread got me to pull out my two LionSteel Operas and do the scale swap I've been putting off for years.

While they were apart, I took a few photos of the construction. BIG FAT DISCLAIMER : these are $90 knives and the SpyOpera is going to be a $175 knife. I hope that along with the upgrade of steel from D2 to M390, hollow to flat grind, crowned spine and titanium liners that the liners and lockbar assembly is screwed rather than pinned and the pivot assembly is actually adjustable.

The size, crowned spine and the M390 are very attractive to me and more I think about it the more I suspect that I'll get a SpyOpera when they are released with full knowledge that the first thing I'll need to do is redo the obtuse bevels as has been my experience with all of my Italian made knives, irrespective of maker.

Scale swap done.

Anyway, the olive handled, now with thumb-stud version is going in my pocket for today in anticipation of a SpyOpera.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

At first glance it was my least favorite of the bunch. Then I kept thinking about it and the SpyOpera really has great materials and I think it may have become my favorite from thus bunch now, along with the Swayback...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely going to hold off until I see independent HRC results for this one
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

This was the one that I was really interested in, but as a lefty it looks like it is right hand only. Too bad, especially with the wire clip it would have been so easy to make this a lefty friendly knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm very interested, my only concern is the steel. How does it compare to S30 and VG10 in terms of rust resistance?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:03 pm
I'm very interested, my only concern is the steel. How does it compare to S30 and VG10 in terms of rust resistance?
Pretty good, according to this chart from Larrin at Knife Steel Nerds:
Screenshot_2020-05-06-16-26-59-720x1280.png
(If you click on it it'll be more readable)

Here's the full article where he goes in depth into the details:
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/10/14/ ... e-testing/
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Nate

Post by Nate »

ivtecdaily wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:48 pm
I would so be into this but for one glaring fault, no left hand option! It's especially annoying that for some reason the Swayback being an obvious right hand design in every way has a left hand option. But a unique small lockback isn't? I don't get it at all.
Wolfy916 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:18 pm
This was the one that I was really interested in, but as a lefty it looks like it is right hand only. Too bad, especially with the wire clip it would have been so easy to make this a lefty friendly knife.

Same. Still under consideration though. May get it and just deal with the clip placement or carry it clipless. Did make this exception for the Baby Horn (which is a favorite).
:spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Nate wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:16 am
ivtecdaily wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:48 pm
I would so be into this but for one glaring fault, no left hand option! It's especially annoying that for some reason the Swayback being an obvious right hand design in every way has a left hand option. But a unique small lockback isn't? I don't get it at all.
Wolfy916 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:18 pm

Same. Still under consideration though. May get it and just deal with the clip placement or carry it clipless. Did make this exception for the Baby Horn (which is a favorite).
The Baby Horn, without the clip, is near perfection.

With the clip, not so much.

On this size range in backlocks, I always(usually) prefer clipless.

I hope this knife is okay, QC wise. It's going to have to be on it's game, to attempt competing with the BH.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I'm not sure I like the gap at the end of the blade when closed.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Mini2white wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:56 pm
That’s my one sort of issue. Overall looks really appealing and Micarta + crowned spine sounds fantastic.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mini2white wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:56 pm
That gap has always bugged me a bit on my delicas, and the SpyOpera's appears even bigger. But it's something I get over since I love everything else about the model. Hoping this'll be the same.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

At first sight, i thought i might need to go to the SpyOpera! I may still be open to it. The pricing seems a little rich unless the construction is screwed with adjustable pivot unlike the LionSteel Opera. Thanks, PSquared, for the photos and details.

I have no objection to a little exposed tang on a closed knife. These models are two of my favorites, even with exposed tangs.
IMG_20200509_132918sm.jpg
Like Rivy, Mini and Ju, I think the gaping maw between handle and tang might be too much for me on the SpyOpera. It is, after all a knife that should be nice in the pocket, right?

The HT could be a concern, but i think that Spyderco's oversight and QC should prevail. Spyderco is a THE market leader on production HT. Also the additional $100 over the LionSteel Opera should be paying for something, no?

I remain curious, though not overly optimistic that i will add one to my pile.
jdw

Post by jdw »

The thing that makes me the most curious about this release is the lil Lionspy. I carried one for a while and I really enjoyed it. It's different from what I usually carry but it's a solid knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
robin_the_redhood

Post by robin_the_redhood »

maybe I am an outliner here. When I read the Reveal 5 for the first time, Spyopera is on top of the my list. BUt after I did some background study on the original lionsteel Opera knife, I think the original one looks better.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've never been a big fan of those really small knives in the past. But in spite of that I wouldn't mind trying out a small folder with M390.

This one might be tempting. One other I wouldn't mind seeing again would be a KOPA model with some great materials and super blade steel.
Pointy britches

Post by Pointy britches »

Love almost everything about this knife, the only thing that concerns me is lack of ricasso. I generally drop it on my finger when one hand closing backlocks. I see some subconscious finger choppy in my future. :eek:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is a great looking design. I hope the quality matches the price. It has all the goodies we want in a knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I've wanted a Spyderco with Micarta handles and a premium stainless blade. While I prefer liner-less, I'm happy with Ti liners instead of steel, and I'm very happy with the wire clip. As much as I like the looks of the Swayback, the SpyOpera is looking like a relative bargain.