Good Spyderco intro knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Surfingringo » Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm
There are just about no limit to the suggestions, I think it would be harder to ask what model is a BAD intro to the brand, maybe a Tatanka? I would first think about his age and what your local laws are (I wouldn't buy him anything he could get himself in trouble with) and go from there. I think for that age a Native 5 is about as perfect as it gets, maybe a Sage or Chaparral. They're solid knives that will continue to be useful as he gets older. Get him something that will still matter to him 30 years from now as more than just a memory, but something that'll still be usable.
Yeah, I didn’t think of the Native. That’s a good option too!

Even though I recommended the Dragonfly earlier, I kind of agree with Wartstein’s point. At 13 I would have wanted something a little larger. Staying within the Salt line that would leave the Salt 1 and the Native Salt. Again, at 13 I would probably have preferred the pointier and slightly more aggressive look of the Native between those two. The Native is also a pretty tough design and should hold up well to some of the abuse that a young fella’s knife might see.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Sumdumguy » Fri May 08, 2020 5:17 pm

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm
There are just about no limit to the suggestions, I think it would be harder to ask what model is a BAD intro to the brand, maybe a Tatanka? I would first think about his age and what your local laws are (I wouldn't buy him anything he could get himself in trouble with) and go from there. I think for that age a Native 5 is about as perfect as it gets, maybe a Sage or Chaparral. They're solid knives that will continue to be useful as he gets older. Get him something that will still matter to him 30 years from now as more than just a memory, but something that'll still be usable.
Yeah, I didn’t think of the Native. That’s a good option too!

Even though I recommended the Dragonfly earlier, I kind of agree with Wartstein’s point. At 13 I would have wanted something a little larger. Staying within the Salt line that would leave the Salt 1 and the Native Salt. Again, at 13 I would probably have preferred the pointier and slightly more aggressive look of the Native between those two. The Native is also a pretty tough design and should hold up well to some of the abuse that a young fella’s knife might see.
I didn't think of that one either AND it comes in LC200N!

Native 5 Salt would be an EPIC first knife.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6926
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Wartstein » Fri May 08, 2020 5:33 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:17 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm
There are just about no limit to the suggestions, I think it would be harder to ask what model is a BAD intro to the brand, maybe a Tatanka? I would first think about his age and what your local laws are (I wouldn't buy him anything he could get himself in trouble with) and go from there. I think for that age a Native 5 is about as perfect as it gets, maybe a Sage or Chaparral. They're solid knives that will continue to be useful as he gets older. Get him something that will still matter to him 30 years from now as more than just a memory, but something that'll still be usable.
Yeah, I didn’t think of the Native. That’s a good option too!

Even though I recommended the Dragonfly earlier, I kind of agree with Wartstein’s point. At 13 I would have wanted something a little larger. Staying within the Salt line that would leave the Salt 1 and the Native Salt. Again, at 13 I would probably have preferred the pointier and slightly more aggressive look of the Native between those two. The Native is also a pretty tough design and should hold up well to some of the abuse that a young fella’s knife might see.
I didn't think of that one either AND it comes in LC200N!

Native 5 Salt would be an EPIC first knife.

Agreed! Really a knife for life (kids and grown ups), just enough edge to be really usefull in a wide variety of tasks, sturdy blade, and for a small 13 year old the ergos should work like for example the Manix does for bigger hands.. (two perfectly comfortable four finger grip options)
And Lance is right: At age 13 I certainly would have found the looks of the Native cooler than the looks of the Salt.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5083
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri May 08, 2020 5:38 pm

Getting into the Native Salt is starting to get a bit pricey as well compared to the other alternatives.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Sumdumguy » Fri May 08, 2020 5:42 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:38 pm
Getting into the Native Salt is starting to get a bit pricey as well compared to the other alternatives.
Can you put a price on a child's smile? :p

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5083
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri May 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Hahaha, good point! As long as he's fairly responsible and can trust he won't lose it...though obviously perks of a yellow knife is it stands out like a sore thumb!
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9682
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Doc Dan » Sat May 09, 2020 12:09 am

When I was 13 I was carrying a Buck 110 in my back pocket everyday. It had great steel for the era, and the blade was long enough to be useful, but not too long. A Dragonfly would make a good pocket knife but the bit larger Native or Delica would be better all around and they all have better steel than the Chinese made Tenacious.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 1128
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby VooDooChild » Sat May 09, 2020 12:53 am

If you want to keep things cheap my recomendataions would be.
1. ClipiTool standard (the new one)
2. Tenacious (maybe a combo edge or full spyder edge)

For salt series I would get him.
1. Salt 2 se
2. Tasman salt 2 se

I would hold off on anything more expensive until he was older and I knew he wouldnt lose stuff or go out in the woods trying to be Rambo and break an expensive knife in half.

Salt series stuff is cool and all but I dont know how many people really need a knife that they can go swimming with. Then again its nice to be able to do that.

I think the ClipiTool would be the actualy most useful pocket tool you could give someone who was just getting into knives.

I also think the tasman salt (or frankly any hawkbill or karambit) is probably one of the least practical knives you could give a teenager. But I know 13 year old me would have thought that was the coolest knife in the world.
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6926
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Wartstein » Sat May 09, 2020 1:06 am

The various angles you can look at this (knife for a 13 year old) are quite interesting, not only concerning value or size of the knife.

One could ask: Should you even give him a totally rustproof knife, OR maybe a steel that does not corrode in a minute of course, but still istnot totally corrosion resistant and he has to learn to care for a bit?

And I have to say: Where I live VG10 is practically totally rust proof, unless you´d cut something very salty, would not wipe off the blade and put the knife away for a month. So a Delica would be a good choice too, but in case of a 13 year old who MIGHT really abuse a folder, I think the thicker Native (Salt) blade is a better choice - especially in the tip area (despite I generally am an advocate for thinner blade stock).
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

James Y
Member
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby James Y » Sat May 09, 2020 1:16 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:06 am
And I have to say: Where I live VG10 is practically totally rust proof, unless you´d cut something very salty, would not wipe off the blade and put the knife away for a month. So a Delica would be a good choice too, but in case of a 13 year old who MIGHT really abuse a folder, I think the thicker Native (Salt) blade is a better choice - especially in the tip area (despite I generally am an advocate for thinner blade stock).
IMO, if someone gives a 13 year-old a Delica, it should be saber-ground, and maybe with CE. It will sacrifice slicing ability (which probably wouldn’t matter much to a young teen), but will still have good cutting ability, and be much less prone to breakage than a FFG blade, if he should use it for things a knife isn’t meant for.

Jim

BLJace
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 am

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby BLJace » Sat May 09, 2020 1:34 am

I'm sure it has been said. ( I didn't read through all the comments). A byrd line would be my go to. When i was 13-20 I really had no appreciation for knives. I grew up in the country and everyone and anyone had a knife in their pocket. "Wow! This is heavy! Must be a good knife!". Never paying attention to how it sits, cuts, fits in the hand.

For most people a knife is a knife... Most knives will cut... At 13 i was more concerned with my knives having a dragon or looking cool.

A byrd model won't hurt your pockets, has the same ergos and design as their Enduras, Delicas, and Dragonflys. If he doesn't like it and wants to stash it away for later no worries. You know you gave him a decent knife and if he really gets into knives he will appreciate it. Steel is 8cr13Mov, so he doesn't have to maintain it really. Will sharpen up quick and be reliable.

I'm unfamiliar with the byrd models but I would go with something along the size of a delica. Not huge, not small... It would handle most tasks though.
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6926
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Wartstein » Sat May 09, 2020 1:35 am

James Y wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:16 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:06 am
And I have to say: Where I live VG10 is practically totally rust proof, unless you´d cut something very salty, would not wipe off the blade and put the knife away for a month. So a Delica would be a good choice too, but in case of a 13 year old who MIGHT really abuse a folder, I think the thicker Native (Salt) blade is a better choice - especially in the tip area (despite I generally am an advocate for thinner blade stock).
IMO, if someone gives a 13 year-old a Delica, it should be saber-ground, and maybe with CE. It will sacrifice slicing ability (which probably wouldn’t matter much to a young teen), but will still have good cutting ability, and be much less prone to breakage than a FFG blade, if he should use it for things a knife isn’t meant for.

Jim

Actually another great suggestion... funny that I did not think of this myself, since this very knife (Delica sabre grind combo edge) was my first Spyderco, and still have it and while it does not get carried a lot, I love it exactly for its hard use no worries ability...

Plus: He´d get to know both SE and PE (and probably how to sharpen both types of edge) early on
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6926
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Wartstein » Sat May 09, 2020 1:36 am

BLJace wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:34 am
I'm sure it has been said. ( I didn't read through all the comments). A byrd line would be my go to. When i was 13-20 I really had no appreciation for knives. I grew up in the country and everyone and anyone had a knife in their pocket. "Wow! This is heavy! Must be a good knife!". Never paying attention to how it sits, cuts, fits in the hand.

For most people a knife is a knife... Most knives will cut... At 13 i was more concerned with my knives having a dragon or looking cool.

A byrd model won't hurt your pockets, has the same ergos and design as their Enduras, Delicas, and Dragonflys. If he doesn't like it and wants to stash it away for later no worries. You know you gave him a decent knife and if he really gets into knives he will appreciate it. Steel is 8cr13Mov, so he doesn't have to maintain it really. Will sharpen up quick and be reliable.

I'm unfamiliar with the byrd models but I would go with something along the size of a delica. Not huge, not small... It would handle most tasks though.

Especially the "ease of sharpening thing" is a very good point (though also true for VG10 and H1, but knives in that steel certainly are more expensive than Byrds)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

BLJace
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 am

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby BLJace » Sat May 09, 2020 1:50 am

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:42 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:38 pm
Getting into the Native Salt is starting to get a bit pricey as well compared to the other alternatives.
Can you put a price on a child's smile? :p
You are playing dirty lol!!
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4721
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Bloke » Sat May 09, 2020 2:34 am

Lots of good advice, but why don’t you tell your son you’re thinking of buying a new knife for yourself and would like his opinion.

Show him pictures of the knives that you think would be both appropriate for him and within your budget.

Ask him which one he’d want to buy? He’ll soon tell you what he likes and dislikes. Once decided you can then thank him for his help and hit the Buy Now button. Job’s done. ;)

Anyhow, that’s what I’d do. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat May 09, 2020 5:42 am

BLJace wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:50 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:42 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:38 pm
Getting into the Native Salt is starting to get a bit pricey as well compared to the other alternatives.
Can you put a price on a child's smile? :p
You are playing dirty lol!!
That's me ;)

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby BornIn1500 » Sat May 09, 2020 5:51 am

Bloke wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:34 am
tell your son
He said it was his brother. Close enough?
laugh.jpg

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat May 09, 2020 6:07 am

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:53 am
If you want to keep things cheap my recomendataions would be.
1. ClipiTool standard (the new one)
2. Tenacious (maybe a combo edge or full spyder edge)

For salt series I would get him.
1. Salt 2 se
2. Tasman salt 2 se

I would hold off on anything more expensive until he was older and I knew he wouldnt lose stuff or go out in the woods trying to be Rambo and break an expensive knife in half.

Salt series stuff is cool and all but I dont know how many people really need a knife that they can go swimming with. Then again its nice to be able to do that.

I think the ClipiTool would be the actualy most useful pocket tool you could give someone who was just getting into knives.

I also think the tasman salt (or frankly any hawkbill or karambit) is probably one of the least practical knives you could give a teenager. But I know 13 year old me would have thought that was the coolest knife in the world.
The reasoning behind the Salt, is not so you can swim with it(though, you can). It's about having a knife that is 99% maintenance free. Idiot proof, if you will.

Idiot proof is a great feature for a human with a brain that's not fully developed, like a 13 y/o.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 4721
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby Bloke » Sat May 09, 2020 6:54 am

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:51 am
Bloke wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:34 am
tell your son
He said it was his brother. Close enough?
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

Good pick up, Born. :rolleyes: :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5083
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sat May 09, 2020 6:57 am

I have to say now, that I really like Alex's idea best. Show him the handful of knives mentioned here, including models that also come in SE or CE. I can see a 13 year old finding serrations to be pretty cool!! Tell him your thinking of one of the knives for yourself, let him pick and then surprise him with it. Can't go wrong that way!
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ABX2011, Bing [Bot], JRinFL, Mushroom, p_atrick, rangefinder, Sumdumguy, Supacede, tonijedi, Wartstein and 68 guests