Good Spyderco intro knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Good Spyderco intro knife

Post by kennethsime »

The Efficient or Ambitious are great choices, also might consider a Byrd Meadowlark.

I echo everyone else's sentiments, at age 13 he's likely to lose or break the knife sooner than it's likely to wear out, so you reach a point of diminishing returns above $50 or so.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Knowing a bit about how boys think, I would get him a Delica in standard VG-10 steel because it is enough to keep him happy and it is functional for a large number of tasks. It is not too hard to sharpen. I would get it in his favorite color if possible. However, the glow in the dark version (I have one of these also) is a good idea because it is fun and he is 13.

The Native 5 Light Weight would be my second choice. Just the standard S30V, no fancy steel. However, it will be harder to sharpen than the Delica.

Glow in the Dark
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP11ZF ... rn-handles

Delica colors (blue, green, brown, orange, purple, black, gray, camo, etc.)
https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... rch=Delica
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Jewell wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:41 pm

I feel the same way. I just wish it was offered in brighter colors. Makes them a little easier to find if dropped in the grass.
Well, you're in luck at Cutlery Shoppe. They have the Tenacious in orange g10 and it's exclusive to them. They currently have the satin blade in stock for $45.50, but the black coated blade is out of stock.
tenacious.jpg
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Yep that orange Tenacious is super tempting and I am way older than 13!
But at that age I'd probably have picked the black blade Efficient with brown or green scales... you know, tactical!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Every kid is different but at that age I would have loved one of the Salt knives. ****, I’m 50 and I still think they are awesome. It was a Dragonfly Salt that first got me into the brand. As many here have suggested, the Dragonfly is one of the more amazing small Spydercos and the “salt” version is just icing on the cake. I would think a tough, fully rust proof knife would go well with all of the adventures of a 13 year old mind.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Clipitool
Dragonfly
Para 3 lightweight
plus a Sharpmaker and a benchstone.

The earlier he learns sharpening the better.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:42 am
Every kid is different but at that age I would have loved one of the Salt knives. ****, I’m 50 and I still think they are awesome. It was a Dragonfly Salt that first got me into the brand. As many here have suggested, the Dragonfly is one of the more amazing small Spydercos and the “salt” version is just icing on the cake. I would think a tough, fully rust proof knife would go well with all of the adventures of a 13 year old mind.

A Salt knife would certainly be a good idea and I´d have loved one at age 13 either! :)

But with all respect to Lance and others who recommended the DFly for the boy: I really would have wanted a longer cutting edge at that age (these days too of course):
With "my" knife when I was a boy I wanted to do a lot of tasks (more or less sensible...) cut up apples, bread and things of various, sometimes larger diameters; whittle sticks, cut off branches, and so on; The Dfly is cool, and capable for its size, but it has a short edge, very short absolutely and still short relatively to the closed length. This makes it in many tasks, even in a "whittling motion" more awkward, less efficient and less fun...
I´d give him at least a Delica length edge (Para 3, Delica, Sage 5, Efficient, Meadowlark, or, maybe best choice: Salt 2; Native 5 would already be too short edged imho)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I hate to disagree with you Warstein, but kids need smaller blades with bigger handles.

Also, for a small boy, the Dragonfly will be much easier to keep on his person at all times.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:28 am
I hate to disagree with you Warstein, but kids need smaller blades with bigger handles.

Also, for a small boy, the Dragonfly will be much easier to keep on his person at all times.
After Lance's post, I have to agree with the Salt line Dragonfly. I already mentioned the Dragonfly, but a salt would be even better. Easier to find if just laid down somewhere and forgotten about, very easy to maintain if ended up being gunked up with crud and whatever a 13 year old gets into.

Don't get Wartstein going...we don't need a long winded response about mere mm's of cutting edge and handle length and blah blah blah :rolleyes:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My son is the one that got me started! I just swung him further into the Spyderco realm😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:

No problem, this is not ab about "wrong or right" and you make a valid point! :)

I was just talking about what I liked in blade length when I was 13 (so not really a small kid any more) and what edge length would have been insufficient for the tasks I personally liked to perform back then with "MY" pocket knife (EVERY thinkable task, tbh... :D )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:40 pm
Budget line and Byrd are great suggestions, but I also think I'd lean towards a Dragonfly.
This. I'd go with an Efficient or a Dragonfly.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:32 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
After Lance's post, I have to agree with the Salt line Dragonfly. I already mentioned the Dragonfly, but a salt would be even better. Easier to find if just laid down somewhere and forgotten about, very easy to maintain if ended up being gunked up with crud and whatever a 13 year old gets into.

Don't get Wartstein going...we don't need a long winded response about mere mm's of cutting edge and handle length and blah blah blah :rolleyes:
Rick, I stated repeatedly that I really like and respect your posts, your knowledge and contributions and even think you are a cool guy. Did this both openly in this forum and via two pms, as you know, and I mean it.

But let me ask you politely and with all respect:

Please stop useless statements like the one above, regardless if they are aimed at me or other forum members.

Imho THIS is what "we" don´t need here, and tbh you are the only forum member I am aware of who can´t help to deviate slightly from the "shiny footprints trail" from time to time. Really not often, but you know what I mean: Things like telling a guy who states that the Rosewood Shaman grip to HIM personally feels like wood, he "should not fill the forum with nonsense" cause for YOU they do not feel like wood.

This is not about sharing and stating opinions anymore, this is just about an unconstructive way of communicating and the beginning of what makes other places on the internet (and in real life) less than ideal places to be.

So many bad things start with NOT directly and respectfully telling someone what one might not like about him
So many bad things start with trying to create a "WE" against someONE else.

In this case I just shared what I think a 13 year old boy might like in a knife, and what I liked at that age. Just to discuss it and to maybe help the OP out, like all others did.

No need to badmouth me or anyone else, just ignore my posts if you don´t like them, I am totally fine with that but still won´t ignore YOURS cause you share very good content very often. ;)

To me this forum is a unique place, cause people discuss in a respectfull and grown up manner, I personally would like to keep it that way. :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

OP...I'm sorry to derail your thread, and this will be my last "off topic" post here regarding your question.

Wartstein - Regarding that thread about the scales. I made that post out of actual experience with real, oak handle scales on knives my grandfathers friend used to make. Those Rosewood Shaman scales feel nothing like what the actual wood felt like. That's all I was getting at there, and didn't want someone to think they would get a certain feel and experience from the Rosewood scales that really doesn't mimic the same feeling as actual wood scales.

Yes, I can be brash at times. I know I'm not the only one here that does so. We all have different opinions on things, it's not all sunshine and flowers.

Honestly, it's impossible to ignore your posts. They are literally EVERYWHERE, just about EVERY thread on this forum. Sometimes saying the same thing over and over again in the same thread (like you did twice in this one already) Someone will create a thread asking about comparing two knives and you'll chime in that you haven't ever handled either (so what good does that to do for the OP??) But even worse, you'll then go on and dominate that persons thread with 5+ posts. It's irritating.

I respect you as a person and you clearly very intelligent, passionate and knowledgeable in many areas of the knife world. Sometimes though...it's just too much.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:35 am
OP...I'm sorry to derail your thread, and this will be my last "off topic" post here regarding your question.

Wartstein - Regarding that thread about the scales. I made that post out of actual experience with real, oak handle scales on knives my grandfathers friend used to make. Those Rosewood Shaman scales feel nothing like what the actual wood felt like. That's all I was getting at there, and didn't want someone to think they would get a certain feel and experience from the Rosewood scales that really doesn't mimic the same feeling as actual wood scales.

Yes, I can be brash at times. I know I'm not the only one here that does so. We all have different opinions on things, it's not all sunshine and flowers.

Honestly, it's impossible to ignore your posts. They are literally EVERYWHERE, just about EVERY thread on this forum. Sometimes saying the same thing over and over again in the same thread (like you did twice in this one already) Someone will create a thread asking about comparing two knives and you'll chime in that you haven't ever handled either (so what good does that to do for the OP??) But even worse, you'll then go on and dominate that persons thread with 5+ posts. It's irritating.

I respect you as a person and you clearly very intelligent, passionate and knowledgeable in many areas of the knife world. Sometimes though...it's just too much.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the kind words at the end of your post! :)

You make some nice, but also some rather exaggerated, not entirely true statements here.
Still: I know I am long winded in English, I know that can be annoying, I am working on that!
But this is about HOW we communicate WITH or ABOUT each other, not WHAT (content) we communicate
But you´re right, this is clearly not the place to discuss this stuff. We can do this via pm if you like (and like you, I won´t do it here anymore)

About ignoring my posts: It´s easy, actually:

1.) Look for the blue and white avatar that shows me powder skiing
2.) Don´t read the posts to the left of it. ;)
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Ok, that orange tenacious has my vote, especially if the blackened blade becomes available again. I know a couple boys that would really like one.

I prefer smaller knives, personally, and have to agree the dragonfly is a great choice. The salt version is bright, as well as the vg10 orange. But that tenacious orange color, with a black blade....
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:58 pm
Ok, that orange tenacious has my vote, especially if the blackened blade becomes available again. I know a couple boys that would really like one.

I prefer smaller knives, personally, and have to agree the dragonfly is a great choice. The salt version is bright, as well as the vg10 orange. But that tenacious orange color, with a black blade....

Orange Tenacious with black blade... :rolleyes:
I am sure this would sell really well as an exclusive or sprint in a "better" steel.
And would be a knife one would keep for life when getting one at an age of 13... :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'll say one final thing.

It will be a lot easier for a 13 y/o to explain a Dragonfly to the authorities, versus an orange and black Tenacious.

Not that it will ever be an issue. It's still always best to ask yourself, "What will the fuzz think?". Especially when it comes to a minor.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the Caribbean... :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are just about no limit to the suggestions, I think it would be harder to ask what model is a BAD intro to the brand, maybe a Tatanka? I would first think about his age and what your local laws are (I wouldn't buy him anything he could get himself in trouble with) and go from there. I think for that age a Native 5 is about as perfect as it gets, maybe a Sage or Chaparral. They're solid knives that will continue to be useful as he gets older. Get him something that will still matter to him 30 years from now as more than just a memory, but something that'll still be usable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Tenacious all the way. Always my first recommendation for a Spyderco, and I don't see any reason to change it for a 13 year old. Orange is all the better, harder to loose, distinctive. Well, there are my two cents. Also he won't be 13 for long and can grow into it in many ways.