Spydie vs Bugout

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Edward_Scissorhands

Spydie vs Bugout

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

Just wondering if any of you guys have a Benchmade Bugout, and how you like it compared to your Spydies. I really resisted buying one because I read a few bad things about them (the spring, mainly), and I'm also not fond of Benchmade's seemingly anti-2A activities, but I figured what the heck. I think my favorite Spydie for EDC so far is the Native 5 LW, or maybe a DF2 for when I want to go really small.

I gotta say, though, the Bugout is seriously impressive. I got the KC exclusive in battle wash red or whatever it's called, and it looks great. Quality is excellent, blade centering looks good, and I really like the axis lock. I like that it has a closing bias up to a certain point, and overall it's easy to operate. The best thing is the weight; this thing is a feather. It's blade is a nice, healthy length, and the scales seem plenty durable. Definitely not as rugged as my N5, but I don't plan on beating on it.
Wartstein

Re: Spydie vs Bugout

Post by Wartstein »

Never had a Bugout, so I can't really weigh in here.

That being said:

I'd probably like the relatively long cutting edge, and I do like light weight but I guess I'd take the one oz more a Manix LW or an Endela weigh (roughly same edge length as the bugout) and gain more robustness and presumably better ergos.

Personally not a huge fan of the Axxis lock either.

All of course totally subjective, and I am glad for you that you like the bugout! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Don't personally own a Bugout, but I have handled a few, and I like the platform. I find it falls into a really great size and weight category for EDC, but just haven't pulled the trigger on one. Out of the spydie catalogue, the one that competes with the Bugout (in my opinion) is the Chaparral FRN. Both ultra slim, lightweight EDC minded folders.

Now if only there were a larger Chaparral model, right Wartstein? ;) :D
Justin :spyder:
Edward_Scissorhands

I've read other reviews where people said they didn't want to like the BO, and now I totally understand. I didn't want to, either, but it looks to be right up my alley. It's definitely not for heavy duty, but for a light, thin EDC, it nails it. The price sucks, especially for the exclusive version, but not much to do about that.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JustinB wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:36 pm
Don't personally own a Bugout, but I have handled a few, and I like the platform. I find it falls into a really great size and weight category for EDC, but just haven't pulled the trigger on one. Out of the spydie catalogue, the one that competes with the Bugout (in my opinion) is the Chaparral FRN. Both ultra slim, lightweight EDC minded folders.

Now if only there were a larger Chaparral model, right Wartstein?
;) :D
Should I bump that poll, asking for a Chap XL, once more... ?! :D

/ I think where the bugout is all about weight, the Chap is all about maximum slimness and thin blade stock (while still being rather light)

Again, I can´t weigh in on a knife (the bugout) I never even handled, but I am quite sure I prefer the Chap. Except for the much longer edge the bugout offers... which brings us back to the Chap XL... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

This may be a better post for the off-topic forum, but I do have a question about the Bugout. I do like the Benchmade Axis lock, but always felt like they'd ruined it on the the original 530 Mel Pardue by making it ultralight.

Now that it's 10 years later and we're up to the 535 Bugout (and the larger Bailout), I wonder if the Bugout's Axis lock feels more like the 530, or more like the larger 550 Griptillian or 940 Osborne. Has anyone here tried both? I do think the Bugout would be nice with aluminum scales and a full-strength Axis lock like on the larger knives.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have a Mini Bugout and I like it just fine. I also have a few other small knives from Benchmade and they're nice. They'll never replace my Spydies though. I carry them once in awhile when I feel like changing things up a little. Same with my ZTs
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Edward_Scissorhands

kennethsime wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:13 pm
This may be a better post for the off-topic forum, but I do have a question about the Bugout. I do like the Benchmade Axis lock, but always felt like they'd ruined it on the the original 530 Mel Pardue by making it ultralight.

Now that it's 10 years later and we're up to the 535 Bugout (and the larger Bailout), I wonder if the Bugout's Axis lock feels more like the 530, or more like the larger 550 Griptillian or 940 Osborne. Has anyone here tried both? I do think the Bugout would be nice with aluminum scales and a full-strength Axis lock like on the larger knives.
Not sure about this. This is my first Benchmade, so I can't compare, but I already like the axis lock a lot.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't really like the ergonomics of the bug out. It's very much a plastic stick. For my money, I'd rather have the Chaparral or the Manix. I'll admit that the mini-bugout fills a niche that I don't have a Spyderco for, though. The nearest competitor is the Chap LW, and I prefer the Axis lock to the back lock. I wish Spyderco had a Chap sized CBBL in the line up, which is what I'd really like to have for that size (I prefer the CBBL to the Axis).
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BMs go in the toilet. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
208 tim

Post by 208 tim »

I bought one for 99 end of last year. It's not bad. My wife likes it, so it's basically hers now.
Axis lock is decent, but I'm still more proficient with the para 3 lw. That would be my direct comparison. I will withhold my thoughts on BMs political views. It will be the only one I own.
Edward_Scissorhands

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:54 pm
JustinB wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Now if only there were a larger Chaparral model, right Wartstein?
;) :D
Should I bump that poll, asking for a Chap XL, once more... ?! :D

/ I think where the bugout is all about weight, the Chap is all about maximum slimness and thin blade stock (while still being rather light)

Again, I can´t weigh in on a knife (the bugout) I never even handled, but I am quite sure I prefer the Chap. Except for the much longer edge the bugout offers... which brings us back to the Chap XL... ;)
Chap XL would be sweet :D I kinda feel like it needs to be just a bit bigger than it is. (that's what she said, haha)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

My big issue with the bugout line is the titanium lockbar. It'll deform and cause play.

Steel lock interfaces are the best!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have a full-size Griptilian, plus a few other BM models, but no Bugout. What turned me off was seeing folks, after buying one, immediately swap the scales to brass, copper or Ti. Now Titanium I can understand, but putting heavy copper or brass scales on a platform marketed as an ultralight EDC negates the reason for developing the model.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I've got one, but find myself carrying the Chaparral LW more when I want a light knife. Not that I don't like the Bugout, I just prefer the Chaparral XL to it for a couple of reasons:

Blade/Steel - I prefer CTS-XHP over S30V. I also love the thin blade of the Chaparral.
Balance - The Bugout's weight distribution feel wrong to me. I carried a Benchmade 531 prior to the Bugout & it has G10 scales. When I got the Bugout it was noticeable blade heavy in comparison. Just feels "off" to me.

To be clear, I still like my Bugout. I like the Axis-lock, I love the pocketclip, and it's a lot of knife for the weight. If I ever find some G10 scales I like that aren't as expensive as the knife, I will be carrying it a lot more.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:13 pm

I have a couple benchmades, including a 940 and the g10 bugout they made last year. I think both are very attractive knives, and definitely fidget-friendly. The regular bugout is not for me - when I handled one it felt like a piece of flimsy plastic with a blade attached. I do like the g10 version, and I'd probably like one with aftermarket micarta scales even more. With that said, the axis lock on the 940 feels much more solid to me - the lock on the bugout feels cheaper to me, more sticky and more likely to break. The 940 is smooth as silk. And yet, I rarely carry either because I greatly prefer the spydie hole to a thumb stud. They get pocket time only when I want something extra slim in the pocket, and usually a Delica will fill that role just fine.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I got a bugout. It’s the only BM I have left and I’ll always have one. To the fellow who said the TI lock bar deforms and introduces play... I believe you... but if you do that to a bug out then perhaps you need to re-evaluate what you’re using it for :confused:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:40 pm
I have a couple benchmades, including a 940 and the g10 bugout they made last year. I think both are very attractive knives, and definitely fidget-friendly. The regular bugout is not for me - when I handled one it felt like a piece of flimsy plastic with a blade attached. I do like the g10 version, and I'd probably like one with aftermarket micarta scales even more. With that said, the axis lock on the 940 feels much more solid to me - the lock on the bugout feels cheaper to me, more sticky and more likely to break. The 940 is smooth as silk. And yet, I rarely carry either because I greatly prefer the spydie hole to a thumb stud. They get pocket time only when I want something extra slim in the pocket, and usually a Delica will fill that role just fine.
Yea, that's precisely what I remember about the original 530. The 940 was the first "high-end" pocket knife I ever really wanted, but when push came to shove I bought a ZDP Stretch instead. Likewise, part of me wants a Sebenza, but wouldn't I rather have 8 Dragonflies? Or a Titanium, R.I.L. Military?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I own the Bugout. I have the standard blue FRN with S30V. Overall for what it is, it's a good knife.

For light to medium use, or general EDC, its functional, reliable, and safe. I flick and fidget with my knives a lot and it has held up well.

With all of that said, I dont love the knife, and generally am bored with it. Thumbstuds... lol

I'm trying to be fair.

The flexibility of the FRN handle doesn't bother me. The point of the thing is to be an ultra-light knife with a lot of cutting edge relative to its size.

The subject of 2A caused the Bugout to be the last Benchmade product that I purchased. I'm relatively new to the knife community and learned about everything all at once.

As my Spyderco collection has grown, my other two Benchmade knives ride the bench (pun) and go unused... and perhaps will soon get sold.

The Bugout was purchased because it's very tame looking and seems to be acceptable to bring to work. The steel, S30V, fails me at work. BM's heat treat is good enough but S30V is just the wrong stuff.

So then if I'm not going to carry it at work, I have to REALLY like the knife to carry it in my personal life.

It does not get carried in my personal life.

There's a stroke of genius behind trademarking a round hole in the blade. Whether the hole is on a backlock, BB lock, or compression lock, for me it's more reliable to deploy the blade with consistency, which adds to safety. It's also more fun to play with.

I remember seeing the Benchmade rep on a BladeHQ YouTube video. With his Bugout, he was eating an apple to underscore the fact that it's a light duty knife. This amused me and it also reminded me that I needed to start eating apples again, so then I started buying them again.

So when it's time for an apple I'll go get the Bugout... usually while eating it, I find myself wondering how much better the SpydieChef would actually be.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I've got one, and ya know, I kinda like it, but, the difference between something like the bugout and native 5 lw or chapparal lw, is the bugout is just kind of a cool knife to have on your pocket, it's kind of fun, but there's nothing about it that makes me feel like it's a purposely designed serious cutting tool. It just looks nice, is fun to play with, and it will perform most edc tasks just fine, but there's real engineering or purpose behind the design. Spyderco's are designed and built as cutting tools first, and edc knives second. That's the difference.