What will you be getting from the new reveal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

What will you be getting from the new reveal?

Post by Surfingringo »

There are some great new models in the reveal. Unfortunately I can’t get them all so I’ve narrowed it down to my top two or three.

1. Swick 5 (or 6?). This looks to me like the best Swick yet. I really enjoyed carrying the swick as a neck knife on my kayak but the s30v steel just couldn’t handle the conditions and I found myself having to do MAJOR touch ups on a daily basis to keep up with the corrosive degradation at the edge. The Swick 5 should be awesome. I’ll probably go with the SE version.

2. One of the k390 models. I haven’t tried k390 yet but with all of those lightweight options now available I have to give it a go. I’ll probably go with the Dragonfly since I know its a great model and I don’t currently have one of those in the collection.

-I’ll consider a Rock Jumper too. Useful looking design and I like the looks of the much more subtle finger indentations. I suspect that handle might be more comfortable to me than the Delica (which is good but doesn’t line up perfectly with my hand in every grip).

That’s about it for me. What about you guys?
The Deacon

Re: What will you be getting from the new reveal?

Post by The Deacon »

SpyOpera, for sure, and possibly the Pacific Salt 2.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Rock Jumper in SE. Really looking forward to this one
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Probably nothing. Maybe the K390 Endura....but I am not sure.
RockJumper looks nice, but I am not sure about wharncliffe blade....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely getting the Swick.

Probably going to nab the s90v Lil and Chief, and the K390 Dfly.

Leaning towards getting the pochi just for the novelty, and I'm overdue to get a pac salt.

Wait and see on the Swayback wrt lock slip, and the Spyopera wrt HT
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:51 am
Wait and see on the Swayback wrt lock slip, and the Spyopera wrt HT
Same, the spyopera design is calling out to me but that m390 is a real concern...
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:03 am
There are some great new models in the reveal. Unfortunately I can’t get them all so I’ve narrowed it down to my top two or three.

1. Swick 5 (or 6?). This looks to me like the best Swick yet. I really enjoyed carrying the swick as a neck knife on my kayak but the s30v steel just couldn’t handle the conditions and I found myself having to do MAJOR touch ups on a daily basis to keep up with the corrosive degradation at the edge. The Swick 5 should be awesome. I’ll probably go with the SE version.

2. One of the k390 models. I haven’t tried k390 yet but with all of those lightweight options now available I have to give it a go. I’ll probably go with the Dragonfly since I know its a great model and I don’t currently have one of those in the collection.

-I’ll consider a Rock Jumper too. Useful looking design and I like the looks of the much more subtle finger indentations. I suspect that handle might be more comfortable to me than the Delica (which is good but doesn’t line up perfectly with my hand in every grip).

That’s about it for me. What about you guys?

Both the Swick and Rock Jumper are intriguing choices. The serrated Swick would make a pretty good companion to my Siren. :) Nice to see some FFG serrated LC200N coming down the pike. I like the form factor of the FFG SE wharnie on the Rock Jumper with maximized blade edge for a mid back lock for my intended purposes. Would have preferred it to have been in LC200N, but that would probably have meant it would have to be made somewhere other than Japan. I would gladly pay the premium it would entail. Besides, I have more confidence in Golden lock backs like the Siren anyway. Maybe I'll hold out for a FFG serrated Siren to fill that role. My only concern with the Swick is which hole size to choose.

Lance, salt water fisherman to salt water fisherman, in your personal experience, how have you found the corrosion resistance of VG-10?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Probably the Mule, probably the Swick in SE, maybe a K390 Endura.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SE Rock Jumper is a most likely for me, I was hoping it would be a bit larger and potentially replace my Caribbean but probably not so I'm not sure what role it would play for me. Maybe that SE Swick too. That's about it for me this time around. I'll really need to feel that Yojumbo and see how those finger grooves line up and if I'll be able to grind them off before I buy one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm stoked that the SpyOpera is no sprint or exclusive but a regular production M390 spydie (right?!). It will still be sold out quickly, but at least there's a chance to get them, somewhere.

The Shaman sprint - well, it will sell out super fast, and it's a good part >$200. It would be great to grab one, but I doubt I'll be lucky. More Z-Wear, please!!

The Pochi is too weird. It'll be a collector's piece. I like that :spyder: is offering this. But not for me.

I yet have to make up my mind about the Swick. It would be cool to have a :spyder: neck nife - but would I be wearing it? Hmm...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
attila

Post by attila »

The Mule, Z-wear Shaman, and Swicks are on my want list. The Yojumbo is on my interested list.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm gunning for the Native 5 in Spy27, Swick, SpyOpera, and maybe the Swayback.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Native Chief - I have been patiently waiting for a sprint/exclusive. I was ready for the REX 45 version, but I need some Golden CF. This one is a 100%, assuming I can get it.

Shaman - same as above. In a way I wished for K390 with green micarta, but I can't wait anymore. About 80% on this one.

SwayBack - I am going back and forth on this one. It may depend on the timing of the release. 50/50.

If Military 2 is a thing this year, it will throw a monkey wrench into the plan.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Only one I'm definitely in for at the moment is the Swayback. SpyOpera and one of the K390 models are likely at some point too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:20 am
Same, the spyopera design is calling out to me but that m390 is a real concern...
[/quote]

I'm curious....why is M390 a concern?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

There were quite a few that caught my eye immediately.
The SpyOpera, Pochi, Swayback, and Lil Native CF/S90V Sprint are definites for me! The ZWear Shaman is on my radar, but I won't be disappointed if I miss out, and I'll probably try a Rockjumper at some point to test out as a backpacking knife.

The Pochi is my favorite from this reveal though. I really love the small quirky designs that Spyderco does and this one is no exception. I've been designing some knives for a little while now and have also used animals as viusual inspiration for them. So, I really enjoyed reading about what inspired the designer for this one.
-Nick :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I already pre-ordered a Swick 6 in PE, and if I like it in hand I'll probably get a second in SE to try out. I've been looking for a small self-defense fixed blade to carry when I'm alone in the woods, and with the new g10 scales and the smaller index finger hole on this one, it ticks all my boxes.

I also really like the SpyOpera, and I may end up with a k390 delica and df at some point, although it's the endela I'm really waiting for.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Swick and Rock Jumper.Both plain edge.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Swayback looks good to me. I was hoping for a k390 Endela but will just have to wait a little longer!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Interested in the larger Swick. Love the Swayback but is out of my price range.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation