Lil Native & Chief - CF/s90v treatment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Lil Native & Chief - CF/s90v treatment

Post by prndltech »

I’ve wanted to check out the native chief... and I do like s90v
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

The CF scales are okay, but the S90V really sells me on this Chief. If I can get this and the REX to go with my S30V then my Chief “needs” will be pretty well covered.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I've been holding off on getting a Lil' Native & Chief (although I do want the 4V Lil' Native at some point) in anticipation of the Rex45 Sprints, with the new S90V/CF sprints coming as well, I really want both knives in both steels -- I dare say I won't ever own a S30V version of either knife though... what a great Release today, I'm excited!
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I am seriously looking to get the Lil Native.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Has anyone seen any preorders opened on either of these models? Knifecenter usually opens these new models up pretty early but no dice on the “sprints”.
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

$210 for alil native ..?! I get the steel and all but come on .
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Was interested in the chief...until I saw the price. I get this is the Spyderco forum and all, and I've been a huge supporter the past 3 years, but this is getting ridiculous and an extreme turnoff with these outlandish prices. I've got my staple models, and it doesn't look to be too difficult to venture other ways in the future if this continues. Feels like a slap in the face. When us, on this forum see the sticker shock and start pulling back the reigns here, I've seen a few high dollar spenders here flabbergasted since the pricing became available..imagine what the casual knife user thinks seeing these prices??

I'm not going to lie. I'm pissed off. I was excited for at least 4 or 5 of these. I've spent thousands of dollars the past few years and have very few regrets. But when comparing a knife from a few years ago to something similar in materials, size, steel, lock that is suddenly $50+ more than comparable models. I can't get on board and support that. Especially these 2 models. That's insane and asinine of anybody to support these prices.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Tue May 05, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

blueblur wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:05 pm
Has anyone seen any preorders opened on either of these models? Knifecenter usually opens these new models up pretty early but no dice on the “sprints”.
I think KC quit doing pre-orders on sprint runs after they took a bunch of orders for the crucarta shaman and then couldn't fill them and people were pissed. Now they only do pre-orders for production models.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The carbon fiber/s90v sprints have always been waaay more expensive than other version. Surely everyone that wanted this combo knew that, right? The cf/s90v shaman was $280 (at 35% off MAP) vs the regular model at $188 (at 35% off MAP). So no shock to me to see a $126 lil native costs $210 in this configuration at 30% off MAP. I am thankful, however, that I don't want these. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

TkoK83Spy wrote: Was interested in the chief...until I saw the price. I get this is the Spyderco forum and all, and I've been a huge supporter the past 3 years, but this is getting ridiculous and an extreme turnoff with these outlandish prices. I've got my staple models, and it doesn't look to be too difficult to venture other ways in the future if this continues. Feels like a slap in the face. When us, on this forum see the sticker shock and start pulling back the reigns here, I've seen a few high dollar spenders here flabbergasted since the pricing became available..imagine what the casual knife user thinks seeing these prices??

I'm not going to lie. I'm pissed off. I was excited for at least 4 or 5 of these. I've spent thousands of dollars the past few years and have very few regrets. But when comparing a knife from a few years ago to something similar in materials, size, steel, lock that is suddenly $50+ more than comparable models. I can't get on board and support that. Especially these 2 models. That's insane and asinine of anybody to support these prices.
Can you name any spyderco with carbon fiber and s90v that wasnt well above the base model?

The price creep drives me crazy on stuff like the endura, pacific salt, etc. But a carbon fiber s90v sprint commanding a premium does not suprise me.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:36 pm
Was interested in the chief...until I saw the price. I get this is the Spyderco forum and all, and I've been a huge supporter the past 3 years, but this is getting ridiculous and an extreme turnoff with these outlandish prices. I've got my staple models, and it doesn't look to be too difficult to venture other ways in the future if this continues. Feels like a slap in the face. When us, on this forum see the sticker shock and start pulling back the reigns here, I've seen a few high dollar spenders here flabbergasted since the pricing became available..imagine what the casual knife user thinks seeing these prices??

Inflation and materials prices are hurting everyone. Here's a link to every USA made knife with a carbon fiber handle that Blade HQ carries, sorted in ascending price order - https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Manual-Kni ... rt_asc:asc. That $210 Lil' Native in S90V is right there with the Benchmade Proper in the same materials, and the little stubby ZT framelock with a 20CV blade.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

really more black scales. we cant get color in production models but they keep making black for sprints too.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

Is it just me or do the scales on the Lil' Native almost look peel-ply?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

cheeseheaded wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:29 pm
Is it just me or do the scales on the Lil' Native almost look peel-ply?
The sprint s90v/cf Golden knives always have a peel ply texture... However they are solid cf.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This is a good example of why Spyderco uses carbon fiber laminate more often than solid carbon fiber. Carbon fiber laminate opens the market up to so many more people. They have always done these full carbon fiber and S90V sprints as high end sprint runs so this price is about what I expected. I was thinking it would be about $180, but even at $210 I'm still in for a Lil Native. :spyder:
(I just hope it doesn't drop too soon after the REX45 eventually drops. ;))
cheeseheaded wrote: Is it just me or do the scales on the Lil' Native almost look peel-ply?
They are peel ply, but that is only the surface texture. They're still solid carbon fiber scales.
-Nick :bug-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I hope they make large runs of these too, since the CF / S90V Shaman sold out very quickly as well.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ll be vying for the now-revealed S90V Chief sprint.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”