Something we don’t see enough of

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Something we don’t see enough of

Post by Jazz »

One of the most comfortable knives in hand. No sharp edges, and lots of beautiful curves. Sure would be nice if a back lock was possible. My liner is almost all the way over. Anyway, some pics of the large Wegner. I wish I had the small too.

Cross eyes for 3D

- best wishes, Jazz.
Notsurewhy

Re: Something we don’t see enough of

Post by Notsurewhy »

That's pretty. Something about a high hollow grind just looks right to me. Closest thing in the current catalog would probably be the GB2 if you can find one. Similar blade, fairly neutral handle and liner lock. I think I'd prefer the handle design on the Wegner though. The liners proud of the scales is my main gripe on the Bradley.
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

The Wenger was my first Spyderco and changed the course of my knife hobby. Found it at a thrift store in Littleton for $12. Got me into blade geometry, grinds, and steel choices. Traded it for my first custom bushcraft knife which got me into handles and heat treatment. This knife made me the addict I am today and I have been hunting one down ever since I got rid of it.
blues

Post by blues »

I had the Wegner Jr.

My buddy, knife maker Jerry Halfrich, who also guides hunts, loved that knife and had lost his.

I sent him my (at the time) pristine version as a surprise and he was thrilled to have one again. To be able to do that for a friend was priceless,
- Retired from the chase -
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It was my first Spyderco too, I think. I think second was the original Para.

That’s awesome, blues. I can see why Jerry liked it. It feels exceptional, and works.
- best wishes, Jazz.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Bring it back with s90v and a comp lock? :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
blues

Post by blues »

Jazz wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:02 am

That’s awesome, blues. I can see why Jerry liked it. It feels exceptional, and works.
Thank you, my friend. :cool:
- Retired from the chase -
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have a large Wegner, and yes, it is a beautiful knife that feels great in hand. Oddly enough, it’s one of the few knives I own that I’m a bit overly-protective of. I have CRKs that I’ve been less-than-kind to, but for some reason, I protect my Spydie Wegner.

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The lines of that knife flow so well.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Jazz! I never knew that they make a large one!
That is one good looking knife. Maybe it could support itself for a sprint run...
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:33 am
The lines of that knife flow so well.
I was thinking the same thing! I want to hold it, I bet it has some great ergos.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Is there anything to be down with the advanced liner lock, or will it just eventually fail? Can one re-bend it perhaps, or install a shim?

Perhaps more work than the knife is worth, but would be nice for sentimental pieces.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The liner lock still has a lot of life left in it, I'm sure, but that's one of the reasons I dislike them. Back locks all the way. Anyway, I bought this long ago before I knew this. Still, regardless of lock, it's solid, and an excellent knife. I use it rarely because I'm just being paranoid of wearing it out. It's a beauty.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:42 pm
Is there anything to be down with the advanced liner lock, or will it just eventually fail? Can one re-bend it perhaps, or install a shim?

Perhaps more work than the knife is worth, but would be nice for sentimental pieces.
End if the liner lock could be peened a bit, or in you could make a new stop pin that is a bit bigger (+0,1 mm bigger). Bigger stop pin will move the blade a bit down and the liner lock will endgage sooner.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

What Pancake said is my suggestion, also. Peening the lock bar was my immediate thought, but the slightly thicker stop pin is a safer (and reversible, too) alternative.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Very nice knife.. but could not find it on the Spyderco homepage when doing a quick search (not even in "archived products")?

This with either a backlock or Millie like linerlock (and maybe ffg?!) would be great
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 pm
Very nice knife.. but could not find it on the Spyderco homepage when doing a quick search (not even in "archived products")?

This with either a backlock or Millie like linerlock (and maybe ffg?!) would be great
Here's the wiki page:
http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... Tim_Wegner

This was one of the first Spyderco knives that caught my eye. The Mouse was another great iteration on it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 pm

Here's the wiki page:
http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... Tim_Wegner

This was one of the first Spyderco knives that caught my eye. The Mouse was another great iteration on it.

Thanks! :)
A bit heavy (6 oz / 172 g) for the size... other than that: Like it. Maybe thinner stock and ffg would be nice too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:17 am

A bit heavy (6 oz / 172 g) for the size... other than that: Like it. Maybe thinner stock and ffg would be nice too.
It has full stainless steel liners and, for a liner lock, unusual full stainless steel backspacer. It is a linerlock, it could be updated to standoffs and would save some weight. Also I am not sure if the liners are sceletonized or not, that could save some weight too.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Tim had his own company for a while, blade tech. It seems that after his retirement the company moved away from knives and now only does holsters. Maybe there could be a revival of his Spydie designs.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal