Touching up with the Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lil Timmy

Touching up with the Sharpmaker

Post by Lil Timmy »

If a knife is still sharp, and you just want to touch up the blade, get it back to razor sharp, is there any need to follow steps 1 and 2 with the brown rods? Why not just start at step 3 on the white rods? :confused:
JDEE

Why Not!

Post by JDEE »

Yes if you feel the edge just needs a touch up go straight to the white rods at your desired angle. Sometimes the edge may only need 5 or 10 strokes per side don't overdo it unless you have to. Plus if its a Spyderco their edges are at 30 degrees so stick with the rods at 30 unless you want a utility edge then go to 40. All my Spydercos are at 30 degrees.
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
Burnett

Post by Burnett »

Lil Timmy wrote:Why not just start at step 3 on the white rods? :confused:
What Jdee said, but you may only need the flat sides of the white rods, so only step 4. In my experience this is enough already to touch up a knife that's still sharp. If it's a serrated edge, you only need step 3. I got very good results on serrated edges, letting the blade slide along the corners of the white rods slowly and concentrated and with little force. I guess it won't be that easy anymore once the blade gets very dull. Touch them up regularly.
HoB

Post by HoB »

Usually I touch up only on the whites, sometimes even on the UFs. The UF act a little bit like "steeling" (realigning) with the added benifit of some refinement of the edge and minimal material removal.
KeithM

Post by KeithM »

HoB wrote:Usually I touch up only on the whites, sometimes even on the UFs. The UF act a little bit like "steeling" (realigning) with the added benifit of some refinement of the edge and minimal material removal.
That is what I do as well.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Lil Timmy

Post by Lil Timmy »

HoB wrote:Usually I touch up only on the whites, sometimes even on the UFs. The UF act a little bit like "steeling" (realigning) with the added benifit of some refinement of the edge and minimal material removal.
What is UFs?
Senate

Post by Senate »

UFs is Ultra Fine stones I think.... with the sharpmaker you got the Fine stones, the UFs have to be bought separately.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
HoB

Post by HoB »

Yup, that's what I meant:
http://www.newgraham.com/sharpmaker.htm
if you scoll down the page. About $8 each.