My modified Manix 2 XL (Quarantine Project)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matt David

My modified Manix 2 XL (Quarantine Project)

Post by Matt David »

So, out of all the knives that I own, my Manix 2 XL had my favorite blade design. You just can’t beat the sliceiness of broad FFG blade. However, I always felt like the handle was a little to broad for my hand. My favorite handle design in my collection is hands down the Emerson CQC-8 (not a huge fan of the blade though), so I decided to combine the two. While I was at it, I decided to throw a Benchmade style Axis lock on it as well. Here is the result, it’s now my favorite knife of all time lol What do you guys think??

P.S. Because this is an amalgamation of designs that aren’t mine, I won’t be selling this, making anymore, or sharing CAD drawings with anyone.
1.png
2.png
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
SkullBouncer

Re: My modified Manix 2 XL (Quarantine Project)

Post by SkullBouncer »

Wow -- great design and build from two great knives into one and separately employing the different strengths / qualities of each.

Congrats on a Job Well Done!

SB / BRUCE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Tight work Matt!!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Now that the prototype is done, maybe we can get Sal and Ernest to sign off on the collaboration model? Very nice work!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's very impressive work! Great job. Looks like taking a chance worked out!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Very nice! All cut on a CNC? I take it you don't use the choil much?

I've always thought that the CBBL was pretty darn similar to the axis lock. I know that one uses a caged ball bearing with a central spring, and the other uses a perpendicular bar with two "omega springs," but otherwise how do they differ?
Last edited by kennethsime on Sat May 02, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

And BTW --- Welcome to the Forums............now get to work on the Next One!! :) :p

- BRUCE :cool: :cool:
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Great work! I'm jealous.
Matt David

Post by Matt David »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:48 pm

I've always thought that the CBBL was pretty darn similar to the axis lock. I know that one uses a cadet bass bearing with a central spring, and the other uses a perpendicular bar with two "omega springs," but otherwise how do they differ?
Thanks! and yes, it was all cut on my homemade CNC router. As for the two locks you're right, they are similar with a couple important differences. There are the in-your-face differences you mentioned, but a couple others too.

1. Axis lock bar reacts against liner - CBBL reacts against a steel bar.
2. Axis lock bar also acts as the stop pin for closed - Manix stops against the same steel bar.
3. Axis lock has completely independent stop pin for open - Manix uses same steel bar.
4. Axis locks require liners to cover the pocket housing the "omega" spring. - Manix only is lined for strength, and the compression spring is housed in that same steel "bar". 1 part, 4 functions = good engineering.

#2 was very important for me because i needed the blade to close further than the Manix was designed to, had to modify the blade slightly to work.

I should mention mine isn't quite an axis lock, I made my liner out of 7075 aluminum, this was easier on my machine and required to get the balance right at the front of the choil. The down side to doing this is i can't have the lockbar react against aluminum, it would wear out in no time. If you look at picture #6 you will see I added a steel bar above the lock that acts as both a stop pin for open and a surface for the lockbar to slide on and react against when locked open. I also nested the liners just because they were aluminum, I didn't want them getting dinged up over time being exposed.
Last edited by Matt David on Mon May 04, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:

I've always thought that the CBBL was pretty darn similar to the axis lock. I know that one uses a cadet bass bearing with a central spring, and the other uses a perpendicular bar with two "omega springs," but otherwise how do they differ?

My 2 cents, if I may:
For me CBBL and Axxis lock are pretty different, and I much prefer the former - not because this is the Spyderco lock, but for some practical reasons (they are technically different too of course)
- The Axxis lock has a much weaker detent, an Axxis lock knife (Minigrip) is the only folder that ever came open in my pocket and cut me (twice). On the flop side I think the CBBL is the second strongest Spyderco lock concerning detent, right after the backlock
- I much prefer that the CBBL takes a bit more force when operating it. The Axxis lock is cool, but somehow feels like a "toy CBBL for kids" in use. TOO easy to operate
- The Omega springs do breal eventually in my experience - did so twice on my Minigrip.. Though I have to say: Benchmade provided great customer serivce, did send me replacement springs for free (from the US to Europe) and installing these is pretty easy.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matt David wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:26 am
So, out of all the knives that I own, my Manix 2 XL had my favorite blade design. You just can’t beat the sliceiness of broad FFG blade. However, I always felt like the handle was a little to broad for my hand. My favorite handle design in my collection is hands down the Emerson CQC-8 (not a huge fan of the blade though), so I decided to combine the two. While I was at it, I decided to throw a Benchmade style Axis lock on it as well. Here is the result, it’s now my favorite knife of all time lol What do you guys think??

P.S. Because this is an amalgamation of designs that aren’t mine, I won’t be selling this, making anymore, or sharing CAD drawings with anyone.

Great work, which I would never, ever be able to do myself! :)

And it took a long time for your second post.. the first one was in 2018 (just looked that up), and also about a great project (tip up Millie mod)

But may I ask: Why did you switch to an Axxis lock? (Not a criticism, just a question, though I personally prefer the CBBL by a lot)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Cool.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Matt David

Post by Matt David »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Great work, which I would never, ever be able to do myself! :)

And it took a long time for your second post.. the first one was in 2018 (just looked that up), and also about a great project (tip up Millie mod)

But may I ask: Why did you switch to an Axxis lock? (Not a criticism, just a question, though I personally prefer the CBBL by a lot)
Thanks! I switched locks because I needed the lock to close further than the Manix. One way to do this would be to just have the blade point down a little more than the Manix, but I REALLY wanted the blade to come out straighter. Basically the clearances just weren't there, I would have had to make a compromise somewhere anyway, and I just like the feel of the axis lock, so why not just make the compromise there and move on. That's pretty much it lol

It came with some headaches though, which was pretty much all having to do with the spring design and manufacture. I've got a repeatable processes now though, so if my custom springs ever break I can just make new ones quick.
Matt David

Post by Matt David »

Sorry for the slow responses guys, I've only posted once before so the mods still need to approve everything. I've been poking around this forum all day though and there are some super knowledgeable people on here! Definitely will be sticking around and posting more in the future. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Last edited by Matt David on Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

That is some impressive work there! Great execution!
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

The Manix XLS! (Xtra Large Slim) Beautiful work my friend. I am very much a fan. Looks super comfortable to hold.
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

*whistles* That there is a pretty, custom piece. Very jealous of that one!
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Very nice! Well done!
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Great work and love those springs! Definitely look stronger than omegas. The only thing I’d suggest (if it doesn’t effect the functionality of the lock) is to grind and shape the remainder of the forward choil on the blade.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:02 pm
kennethsime wrote:

My 2 cents, if I may:
For me CBBL and Axxis lock are pretty different, and I much prefer the former - not because this is the Spyderco lock, but for some practical reasons (they are technically different too of course)
- The Axxis lock has a much weaker detent, an Axxis lock knife (Minigrip) is the only folder that ever came open in my pocket and cut me (twice). On the flop side I think the CBBL is the second strongest Spyderco lock concerning detent, right after the backlock
- I much prefer that the CBBL takes a bit more force when operating it. The Axxis lock is cool, but somehow feels like a "toy CBBL for kids" in use. TOO easy to operate
- The Omega springs do breal eventually in my experience - did so twice on my Minigrip.. Though I have to say: Benchmade provided great customer serivce, did send me replacement springs for free (from the US to Europe) and installing these is pretty easy.
Good points, Wartstein. I also prefer the more positive closed blade retention of the CBBL. Likewise, the coil spring durability is a highly desirable feature.