Spyderco UF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scott Archi

Spyderco UF

Post by Scott Archi »

Hi guys I’m looking at getting a spyderco UF again. I had the 302 and sold it. Now I’m looking at getting it again but don’t know if I should get the 302 or 306 for the extra width. It wouldn’t really matter to me but is the price difference worth it to those that own it?
Ric

Re: Spyderco UF

Post by Ric »

I have only the UF Sharpmaker rods.

For which knives will you use it?
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I think only you can tell whether the 306 is worth the extra money compared to the 302. I've never regretted getting the 3" x 8" 306 UF benchstone, myself.

I use it in an adjustable Shapton stoneholder, and sometimes just as a handheld finishing stone. I got it on the recommendation of Michael Christy and Shawn Houston.

Mine needed a little finishing work, as it had kind of sharp edges and noticeable machining striations on some parts which you could feel if you ran your fingertips over the surface. After a bit of lapping in, and smoothing off the edges with SiC sandpaper, it's been a great last stone to use, both in my Chosera waterstone progression, and my Atoma/Venev diamond stone progression.

It works very nicely for large kitchen knives and chisels and plane irons too, which I believe is one of its intended purposes.

I really like it, I think it's a wonderful stone, especially on knives to be used for food, or which are used for regular push cutting type tasks.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

For plane irons and razors, it's definitely worth it. For a longer blade with a belly, the width isn't as valuable.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to our forum.

I prefer the 3 X 8. It's just more versatile. Before we made the UF stones, I made a 1 X 8 for sharpening my straight razors and liked the results so we decided to make them in production.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:19 am
For plane irons and razors, it's definitely worth it. For a longer blade with a belly, the width isn't as valuable.
I don't think you would regret getting any of Spyderco's great sharpening stones. I've got everything they ever made except the 306 ( which I fully intend on getting soon) and the CBN stones for the 204 Sharpmaker>> and I also intend on getting them eventually.

I consider the investment in all of my Spyderco stones some of the best money I ever did spend.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I have the 302 and like it quite a lot as a finishing stone. I've been eyeing the 306 myself for blades with longer flats.