Why Do People Hate Knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RustyIron

Re: Why Do People Hate Knives?

Post by RustyIron »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun May 10, 2015 4:02 pm
Too many knife buyers/collectors see knives as weapons. If the people carrying the knives are defining them as weapons then how can we expect the folks that aren't carrying them to look at them without fear?.
My EDC knives ARE weapons, among other things. My knife just finished carving down a copper electrical contact. If some maniac tried to hurt me while I was doing my work, he might have gotten stuck.

Other people's fear or other emotions are not something I can control. Their hangups are their own challenges to overcome.
Crux

Post by Crux »

It's the frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:09 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Sun May 10, 2015 4:02 pm
Too many knife buyers/collectors see knives as weapons. If the people carrying the knives are defining them as weapons then how can we expect the folks that aren't carrying them to look at them without fear?.
My EDC knives ARE weapons, among other things. My knife just finished carving down a copper electrical contact. If some maniac tried to hurt me while I was doing my work, he might have gotten stuck.

Other people's fear or other emotions are not something I can control. Their hangups are their own challenges to overcome.
Wow, that’s an old quote of mine. I guess it’s true, once you say something on the internet it’s there forever. Haha. Luckily my position hasn’t changed much.

Almost anything can be a weapon. A hammer is a much more effective weapon than a knife in most hands. Why aren’t people as scared of hammers as they are of knives? Because the people who carry hammers haven’t defined them as weapons. I don’t have anything against the “tactical” world or against someone looking at a knife as a weapon. My point was that if a large group of people collectively defines a certain tool as a weapon then you can’t be surprised that people will start to view it that way. If people carried self defense hammers and companies made very deadly looking hammers with names like “brain smasher” and “Skull crusher” and we had magazines and Internet forums devoted to how to fight with hammers, etc. then people would probably be more cringy around hammers.

For the record, I think the a lot of the features that make the Waterway a good fishing and hunting knife would also make it a very capable SD knife but I wouldn’t call it a weapon because that’s not how I intend to use it, anymore than I intend to use a hammer as a weapon. Both would work in a pinch though. :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've been carrying my SE Matriarch all week. Yes, it's designed as a self defense weapon, BUT...I'm finding it very useful in edc as well. That can be said about any knife I suppose. But one as intimidating as the Matriach, also can prove to be a very effective tool.

I thought my Rex45 and 4V Manix's cut through rope like butter...they are NO match for the Matriarch. That thing blew me away today.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:11 pm
If people carried self defense hammers and companies made very deadly looking hammers with names like “brain smasher” and “Skull crusher”
That's pretty funny... and you're right.

Regardless, my personal goal is to enlighten people that it's ok... no... preferable... that they have a weapon available so that they may protect themselves and their loved ones. My beliefs are no secret among my acquaintances. They consider for a moment that, "Hey, he's kinda normal, and he carries. Maybe I should consider that, too."

If I can assist just one person in becoming safer in their daily lives, then I've had a successful day.
Dexturete

Post by Dexturete »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 11, 2015 11:07 am
"Rather perish than hate and fear, and twice rather perish than make oneself hated and feared"
-Nietzsche

As humans we possess irrational fears of each other and for that very same reason we wield fear/intimidation as a weapon against each other. It is not just the non-knife people and their irrational fear of knives that is the problem but it is also the society that portrays knives as weapons and things to be scared of. This being the fault of the entertainment industry, the media, the tacticool industry and our population in general. I recently cringed at the thread topic about what is the most intimidating looking Spydie because in my eyes that is the exact mentality that is doing us as knife lovers a disservice. We have already made the comparison to guns as an example so I will include them as well. Why were guns and knives not feared to this degree when I was younger? Well, we carried a lever action 30/30 and a Buck 110 and not a AR15 and Szabo folder. Why do we feel the need to carry these tools instead of the tools of yesterday? In my opinion it is because we have been conditioned to be both violent and to be scared by our culture and society and these tools make us feel safer for a couple of reasons and one of those reasons is because they are designed to be intimidating.

I could go off for a while on how we are subjecting ourselves to conditioning that is making us both fearful and violent. Unfortunately I cannot control the fear mongering media or the entertainment industry. :( Did we learn nothing from Clockwork Orange? :confused: Conditioning works and to an extent there is considerable social pressure in our society to subject yourself to it. Think about this, what happens when you are naturally revolted by something in a scary movie and turn away? You are ridiculed for being squeamish so instead you force your self to watch against your instinct. Is this not similar to having your eyes held open by force? This is very common amongst younger adults and it is a form of conditioning for fear and desensitizing to violence.

I will add that I am a proud supporter of the second amendment and a knife lover and for that reason I try to be the best ambassador that I can be and avoid intimidating tools.
This is an excellent response.
Crux

Post by Crux »

All of my sharp edged metal objects are tools and under other circumstances can also be used as a weapon as well, but even a pair of pliers can be a weapon. Heck, the FBI considers my hands to be lethal weapons.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:15 pm
it's ok... no... preferable... that they have a weapon
That is the exact reason so many people hate knives. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

It's pretty sad, but it is true, you could probably buy a "belt hangar" for a ball peen hammer and carry it everywhere you go, and nobody would think it's a weapon. :eek: Fantastic idea!

Thanks!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t personally carry knives for the express purpose of SD. I’m not saying that others shouldn’t at all, I’m saying that for me, that isn’t MY primary reason. For me, if a knife has no utility value for me first and foremost, I wouldn’t buy or own it.

There are some people out there who are completely turned off by the thought of weapons or violence of any sort. There are some people who have a psychological aversion to harming another human being, even to protect their own lives. Such people just don’t have it in them, and wouldn’t even be able to strike someone with their bare hand with intent to do damage, much less use a weapon. Whether it’s due to a lack of confidence/fear, lack of experience around violence, or simply an aversion to physical violence, even if they can strike a heavy bag or a BOB dummy in a stress-free environment. Handing such a person a knife or a gun would be no different. Such a person would almost certainly ‘freeze’, especially if the attacker(s) sees the weapon and isn’t afraid, and is willing to call their bluff if they aren’t willing to follow through and use it. Some may not even know it until or unless they are ever faced with such a situation.

Again, I’m not anti-SD at all. What I am saying is that not everyone is open to the suggestion to carry a weapon. Whether they are right or wrong for that is not for me to judge, as long as such people don’t try to take away other people’s rights. I’m simply saying that’s the way it is with some people. That’s why, if anybody ever asks me about why I carry a knife, I tell them all the uses I have for a knife on a given day, and I’m being truthful. Of course, anything, including a knife, can be used as a weapon. But I never tell someone that, and as a result, I’ve never scared any of the people who are aware that I carry knives.

Jim
Crux

Post by Crux »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:48 pm
It's pretty sad, but it is true, you could probably buy a "belt hangar" for a ball peen hammer and carry it everywhere you go, and nobody would think it's a weapon. :eek: Fantastic idea!

Thanks!
BINGO!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don’t personally carry knives for the express purpose of SD. I’m not saying that others shouldn’t at all, I’m saying that for me, that isn’t MY primary reason. For me, if a knife has no utility value for me first and foremost, I wouldn’t buy or own it.

There are some people out there who are completely turned off by the thought of weapons or violence of any sort. There are some people who have a psychological aversion to harming another human being, even to protect their own lives. Such people just don’t have it in them, and wouldn’t even be able to strike someone with their bare hand with intent to do damage, much less use a weapon. Whether it’s due to a lack of confidence/fear, lack of experience around violence, or simply an aversion to physical violence, even if they can strike a heavy bag or a BOB dummy in a stress-free environment. Handing such a person a knife or a gun would be no different. Such a person would almost certainly ‘freeze’, especially if the attacker(s) sees the weapon and isn’t afraid, and is willing to call their bluff if they aren’t willing to follow through and use it. Some may not even know it until or unless they are ever faced with such a situation.

Again, I’m not anti-SD at all. What I am saying is that not everyone is open to the suggestion to carry a weapon. Whether they are right or wrong for that is not for me to judge, as long as such people don’t try to take away other people’s rights. I’m simply saying that’s the way it is with some people. That’s why, if anybody ever asks me about why I carry a knife, I tell them all the uses I have for a knife on a given day, and I’m being truthful. Of course, anything, including a knife, can be used as a weapon. But I never tell someone that, and as a result, I’ve never scared any of the people who are aware that I carry knives.

+1

You said it better than I could Jim.

Joe
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Between the ages of 11(4th grade) and 17(Jr yr in H.S., except for possibly the very last year), I was beset and besieged by one to as many as 5 kids my age who literally chased and beat me. every. ****. day. What is strange is that I was a hockey player, but not a fighter. I grew up in Chicago, and then the bedroom communities 35 miles West of Chicago....where all the Chicagoans moved to to get away from the riots taking place over busing.

At 16 I took up concrete work during the Summer, and lifted. The hunted, became the hunter. And, I was vicious. And, I still am vicious. I remember hiding in the house day after day to avoid the beatings. I remember bus drivers dropping me off after school, in my driveway to stop the beatings. I remember going down to the police station to file juvie complaints against at least 3 kids...and their parents were hauled in for the meetings. Most of these kids had rap sheets that went on for pages by the time they were 16. 2 of them were deceased, and 2 were in prison by the time they were 19.

I've studied hand to hand combat and small weapons for most of my life in my free time. I am not consumed by any of it. 95% of it is fluff, and I'd say, I know 20 decent moves, but I always watch UFC tapes, and anything related to escrima/arnis.

I stay out of fights. I don't look for trouble. I have not lost a fight since I was 17. I have just one rule. Don't threaten or touch me. If I am attacked...you just started a small war.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Why do people hate guns?

Why do people hate anything they don't agree with? We could make a long list of things people fight over because they don't agree with or don't understand. I think Yoda said it best "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering". People fear what they don't understand, and they live very urban lives where everything is catered to them and they have no actual need for a knife so they don't understand why I need one.

The answer to most of these questions is, people are unable to relate to each other, or just don't care to try. People don't care about what's important to other people and assume that everyone should think like them and since they don't need it then nobody should.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I think all these people who supposedly hate knives probably have plenty of knives in their kitchen and on the dinner table. Obviously they don't really hate knives, they hate you having a knife, just like they hate you having a gun.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 am
Why do people hate guns?

Why do people hate anything they don't agree with? We could make a long list of things people fight over because they don't agree with or don't understand. I think Yoda said it best "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering". People fear what they don't understand, and they live very urban lives where everything is catered to them and they have no actual need for a knife so they don't understand why I need one.

The answer to most of these questions is, people are unable to relate to each other, or just don't care to try. People don't care about what's important to other people and assume that everyone should think like them and since they don't need it then nobody should.
Totally agree with this perspective.
shunsui wrote: I think all these people who supposedly hate knives probably have plenty of knives in their kitchen and on the dinner table. Obviously they don't really hate knives, they hate you having a knife, just like they hate you having a gun.
Good points interpreted from this as well IMO.
Thanks guys.

============================================================
-- SB/ BRUCE :cool: :cool:
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Hoplophobia....look it up. The popular definition says it is a irrational fear of firearms, but Colonel Jeff Cooper who originated the term defined as an irrational fear of weapons in general.

I see the fear of weapons as a case of projection in most cases. Those who's voices are the loudest in objection to them tend to be those who don't trust themselves not to lose their temper and over-react in an angry situation. Those who allow their emotions to rule their actions instead of using their common sense. (if they have any common sense)

I've been involved with 2nd Amendment causes most of my life and have had these arguments over and over again. Read some of John Lott's observations and just substitute "knife" or "knives" any time "gun" or "guns" are mentioned and you'll get a pretty good idea of the arguments.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I hate the way people have been programmed over time to look at certain things a certain way. It is the way it is and unless something big happens to change society and media as a whole it will only get worse. The best thing we can do is fight for our God given personal rights. In my late teenage year’s through my early 20’s I seen what damage a knife in the hands of a imbecile could do vs a similar idiot with a firearm. Both are dangerous as **** but from what I seen the knife was more effective and dangerous in the hands of a untrained idiot. One incident involved a drunk guy at a bar getting pissed at another guy for dating a girl he liked. The guy used a little slip joint with a 2” blade to kill he other guy. All he did was attack him in a frenzy until the other guy collapsed. No skill at all and it’s very hard to defend against that even for a very skilled martial artists. A larger knife in the hands of a highly skilled martial artist is a terrifying thing but also something I highly respect since generally the Martial Artist isn’t likely to attack a person for no reason like a untrained idiot is. The idiot is more unpredictable and they are the ones that makes the news on a regular basis. Over time people that weren’t raised with firearms and knives as tools will only think of them one way. That is whatever way they are exposed to them over time. Also in less developed areas of the world blades of all kinds garner more respect than firearms. Friends of mine that were in the military said you would get a different reaction If you pulled a blade or tomahawk than a firearm. I carry a firearm daily but I make sure I always have a blade with me. I train how to use both and no matter what size blade it is I know what damage it can do.
PoisonedPizza

Post by PoisonedPizza »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
Sun May 10, 2015 7:06 pm
I can tell you I'd rather have a baseball bat or a golf club than a knife if I ever got into a fight for my life. I get a similar reaction every so often, but people around here are actually very good for the most part. I have a Spyderco in my RFP, and my Leatherman Skeletool in my LFP (Also looks like a pocket knife to a non-knife person) at all times, and I make literally zero attempt to hide or conceal them...some of my knives have lanyards on them even. I've been asked why I carry such a device by people before, but no one has really freaked out overly yet after my explanation. At work I have my coveralls on and have my Leatherman and at least two Spydercos right clear in the bib pockets. Some places are definitely more paranoid about knives though due to media, laws, etc.
Yeah, unless you're properly trained, a knife is kinda worthless for self defense.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the knife is cooler than the pen.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:44 am
3rdGenRigger wrote:
Sun May 10, 2015 7:06 pm
I can tell you I'd rather have a baseball bat or a golf club than a knife if I ever got into a fight for my life. I get a similar reaction every so often, but people around here are actually very good for the most part. I have a Spyderco in my RFP, and my Leatherman Skeletool in my LFP (Also looks like a pocket knife to a non-knife person) at all times, and I make literally zero attempt to hide or conceal them...some of my knives have lanyards on them even. I've been asked why I carry such a device by people before, but no one has really freaked out overly yet after my explanation. At work I have my coveralls on and have my Leatherman and at least two Spydercos right clear in the bib pockets. Some places are definitely more paranoid about knives though due to media, laws, etc.
Yeah, unless you're properly trained, a knife is kinda worthless for self defense.
Worthless? I doubt that. It is certainly better than a pool noodle.

I have thankfully never been in a knife fight but I have unfortunately been in a few fist fights. I assure you that I am more dangerous with a knife than without.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?