Which Endura is your ideal all-arounder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Which Endura is your ideal all-arounder?

Post by TheGiant80 »

I know there's no "best" when it comes to pocket knives. It's all far too subjective. I'm wondering which Endura would be YOUR choice for a basic, high-capability EDC.

I'm considering the all-black Combo Edge VG10, the ZDP-189 PE FFG, and the SE VG10 Wharncliffe. You can select one of these, or suggest a different variant all together. Bonus points if you include an explanation as to why you chose what you did. Looking forward to the feedback!
VooDooChild

Re: Which Endura is your ideal all-arounder?

Post by VooDooChild »

Foliage green sabre ground combo edge.

If you want a knife that takes a beating that is it. For me its a work knife. I dont care if it doesnt slice as well, I wouldnt hesitate to pry with the tip or beat on the knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

For me I don’t like combo edges, and only like full serrated for limited tasks. Just a preference. I’m also big on the FFG.

Also, the Endura is my favorite model, I use it exclusively except rare and specialized tasks. (And I own 6 now, after the s30v ones come, which I’ll mention in a second.)

So my ideal Endura was the Supergold version, but hard to come by now. I’d say depending on your sharpening ability and preferences, I’d go with either the zdp-189, or vg10. If corrosion isn’t the highest concern, I’d personally pick the zdp-189 every day and twice on Sunday. And I do notice a giant difference in edge holding and sharpenability between the steels I’ve mentioned.

Although, I personally think the best Endura version has just hit the market, in the new teal s30v version. It will be the most balanced option of all the Endura’s available IMHO, and without the cladding like my loved supergold (which is my least favorite thing about it By Far.)

And I’ve put my money where my mouth is in that statement, because I’ve purchased two of them.
Last edited by DOUBLE D on Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hopefully a Cruwear version will be out soon since we had a Cruwear Delica last year. That will be my ideal Endura!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

For me, my ideal Endura is nothing fancy; it’s simply the FFG version in basic VG-10. I don’t carry my Endura all the time, but when I do, this is the one that sees the most use. If I need anything for light prying, I either use the large screwdriver/bottle opener blade on my SAK, or the mini-prybar I usually carry.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Any Endura is good, but the ZDP would be my last choice for a work knife. It is hard to sharpen and might not be as tough. VG10 is good stuff and easy to live with and requires little care. The S30V that is just about to come out will be a fantastic choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Carry and use my HAP40 the most.
Haven’t used my SG2 yet.
Love my SE Warnie and my standard SE.
My first PE VG10 is on it’s way in the Zome GITD model.
And we can’t talk Endura love without mentioning the SE Pac Salt which is my most carried knife and generally done so as a compliment to a PE almost every single day.
All that being said the answer to your question, as usual, depends on your usage, but for general EDC I don’t think you could go wrong with any VG10 model and specifically for general cutting the standard SE or PE, with the other options listed only being behind those for specific circumstances (ie: corrosive environments, heavy daily usage, etc)
There, clear as mud!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Preparing for someones upcoming, long winded response :rolleyes:

I think it depends on your ability to sharpen and how often you care to sharpen or touch up. I'd say go with the good ole standard vg10 in plain edge or combo edge. Relatively cheaper knife. Then if you decide you really like the Endura, then maybe branch out into one of the more expensive models/different steel. Nothing wrong with the standard model to get your feet wet!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Monty

Post by Monty »

Serrated Pac Salt. It could very easily be my only knife (except in places with blade restrictions).
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The SE pac salt is the only endura variation I have, but it is awesome. I use it for garden and yard work, and beat it up and put it away dirty, no problem. If I was going to buy another, I'd probably get the s30v teal one (a distributor exclusive which is available now at REC and BHQ, and other places soon) or try to find one in hap40 on the secondary market.

Edit: Bento Box Shop has the hap40 still endura for $132. Definitely over MAP pricing, but not too terrible.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

FFG plain edge for me. HAP40 is so much easier to sharpen than ZDP-189, and holds an edge noticeably longer than VG10.

Looking forward to the K390!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:28 pm
FFG plain edge for me. HAP40 is so much easier to sharpen than ZDP-189, and holds an edge noticeably longer than VG10.

Looking forward to the K390!

My ideal all arounder Endura does not exist (yet?): It would be an Endela SE XL :D
So just a plain edge, VG10 ffg Endura SE featuring the same serration pattern as the Endela SE. Honestly, this type of serrations work so perfect for me, that from a practical point of view I´d never carry PE again...

That being said: Out of all the Enduras I´ve owned so far (perhaps 8 or 9 (?) plus 2 Pac Salts) I am with abbazaba and would have to go with my HAP 40 one. Exactly as he says: Great edge holding, but still rather easy to sharpen (sold my ZDP Endura cause it was too much effort to sharpen for me (I was even less skilled and had no CBN rods at the time though) and I love the cladded steel.

Never had the Wharnie SE Endura, probably that would be my ideal all arounder of the already existing Enduras - I just don´t like wharnie blades in big knives for whatever reason..

PS: Great, that the Endura gets so much attention here lately!!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Uhhh... any of them?

If I had to pick I’d say SE pac salt (Endura 3)

I also like the Wayne Goddard, unfortunately it’s no longer in production.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:26 pm

PS: Great, that the Endura gets so much attention here lately!!! :)

Agreed!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Hap40 for sure. It's tough, stays sharp, takes an insane edge, and with the cladding, is fairly corrosion resistant. To me, there isn't a better combo, aside from the standard VG10 offering. Other steels might be more fun, or perform better in certain areas, but Hap40 and VG10 cover most bases for me.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Monty wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:10 pm
Serrated Pac Salt. It could very easily be my only knife (except in places with blade restrictions).
yep. i just have other knives because i like knives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:58 pm
Hap40 for sure. It's tough, stays sharp, takes an insane edge, and with the cladding, is fairly corrosion resistant. To me, there isn't a better combo, aside from the standard VG10 offering. Other steels might be more fun, or perform better in certain areas, but Hap40 and VG10 cover most bases for me.

You are a wise man... ;)
I am down to just two Enduras at the moment (plus one Pac Salt SE) - and these are, well, in VG10 and HAP 40. Just as you said, these two steels in that platform cover most bases for me too...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

SE Wharncliffe. It's a beast that does everything I need a pocket knife to do, and does it so well :cool: . Possibly the only version of the Endura that could unseat this one from my pocket is a FFG SE Pacific Salt wharncliffe (seems unlikely in the near future).

Also, you can't go wrong with HAP40. It's good stuff, but I'm perfectly happy with VG10 right now :)

JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Blue FRN VG10. Nothing fancy but will always get the job done.
The blue is a nice change from the normal black and satin that we seem to see all the time too :D :spyder:
Justin :spyder:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think I'd just go for a plain-jane Endura if I had to pick an all-around larger EDC. Personally, I like the Delica a little better, and the Stretch best of all. The Straight Spine Stretch might be my pick for all-around EDC if I could only pick one.

VG-10 is definitely an excellent all-around EDC steel. Quick to sharpen to a very acute edge, pretty darn corrosion-resistant, and it holds the edge pretty well all things considered. I prefer to EDC a plain edge for the most part, but it has been quite some time since I've EDC'd a serrated edge.

I do love me some ZDP, but I think the issue there is you don't get to sharpen it often enough. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.