I want a Sage 5 in a premium steel!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want a Sage 5 or Sage 5 Lightweight in a premium steel?

1) I want one too... YAY! :)
81%
2) Nope ... not my cup o' tea :(
19%

Total votes: 53

cycleguy

I want a Sage 5 in a premium steel!!!

Post by cycleguy »

I want a Sage 5 or a Sage 5 Lightweight in a premium steel. Could be just about anything, but I'll shout out for Forest Green & 204P.

How about you?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
GarageBoy

Re: I want a Sage 5 in a premium steel!!!

Post by GarageBoy »

Is 204P really more "premium" than s30/xhp? Go big or go home

Maxamet chaparral!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd prefer that the Sage 2 be brought back with LC200N as a premium Salt model. But if someone did a Sage 5 in forest green G10 and 204P or 20CV, I'd have a hard time not buying it.
GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:06 pm
Is 204P really more "premium" than s30/xhp? Go big or go home

Maxamet chaparral!
Yes, 204P really is more premium than S30V, and it's also far less common in Spydies. Some of us prefer stainless steels to carbon steels.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'd be happy with just a new color, but I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at a steel upgrade as well.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Maybe 20cv since Taichung recently produced the Watu in it? I'm currently very satisfied with the s30v version, if I'm honest. :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

If doing an M390 analogue, I’d prefer 20cv over 204p because AFAIK it’s less expensive. S90v would work for me as well. For non-stainless, K390 or A11 all the way.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
fixall

Post by fixall »

I want a Sage LW in a premium steel so badly.

I really think this knife is flying under the radar right now and I don't understand why. Just think of all the times a Chaparral with a longer blade or a para 3 with thinner stock would come in handy!

I'm hoping for something like K390, 4V, or Rex45... Something that is hard with good edge stability and cuts for days.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cru-carta!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JMM

Post by JMM »

[+1]

YES, so much yes! I was commenting earlier that a Sage5 LW with the St. Nick's treatment (dlc 4v+red frn) would be awesome... any recent tool steel like 4V, Rex45, K390, CruWear would be an instant buy for me! :D
RustyIron

Voting Omission

Post by RustyIron »

Where is the checkbox for a Sage 5 in premium steel that's left handed?
Last edited by RustyIron on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

Sign me up! Really hoping the LW gets a bunch of versions but a G10 one in the St Nicks series would be amazing. Hopefully we don't have to wait for the Para 3 LW to cycle through first to see some but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Personally, I feel like there is a certain level of integrity that comes with the Sage series as a whole. It's primary concept is to utilize a single design theme but showcase a unique lock as a way of honoring the locks inventor. The theme present across the entire series is the design itself, a deep carry wire clip, and an S30V blade. To release a regular production model that doesn't maintain at least those three things would, in a way, abandon the integrity of the whole series.

I feel like an exclusive variant could probably get away with changing the blade steel, but I wouldn't want to see a regular production model with anything but S30V.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PMA11? ... For the Sage FRN and the Chaparral FRN? :) :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I know that the Sage was meant to showcase different lock types in the more or less "same" knife..

But other than that: Imagine the Sage 5 would get at least some of the variants the similar sized and featuring the same lock Para 3 gets (or some instead of the Para 3): Would make a lot of sense imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:25 pm
Personally, I feel like there is a certain level of integrity that comes with the Sage series as a whole. It's primary concept is to utilize a single design theme but showcase a unique lock as a way of honoring the locks inventor. The theme present across the entire series is the design itself, a deep carry wire clip, and an S30V blade. To release a regular production model that doesn't maintain at least those three things would, in a way, abandon the integrity of the whole series.

I feel like an exclusive variant could probably get away with changing the blade steel, but I wouldn't want to see a regular production model with anything but S30V.

Agree 100% so didn't vote since the Sage series ARE my cup of tea, but i am totally indifferent to changes in steel.
Plenty of choices for steel nerds to go to town on. Please keep the Sage and Chaparral series 'as is/intended'
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:18 am
Mushroom wrote:
Agree 100% so didn't vote since the Sage series ARE my cup of tea, but i am totally indifferent to changes in steel.
Plenty of choices for steel nerds to go to town on. Please keep the Sage and Chaparral series 'as is/intended'

I am generally with you in that the Sage series should primarily "just" showcase different lock types, and S30V is totally fine with me anyway.

Still: If I was into Sage sized Spydies, wanted a comp. lock and various steel choices, I´d probably be a bit annoyed by the disproportion between Sage 5 and Para 3 when it comes to variants. And there are not too many other choices, right (with a comp.lock)? (Now for example the Watu, but that one is also S30V)

For me personally the Sage 5 is THE small comp. lock knife that is really designed as a small knife from the scratch and "does it right" for me in most aspects (reasonable "thin" bladestock (though it could be thinner, 2.5 like the Delica), grip area on the actual handle optimized and so on).
While the Para 3 is cool, but (again, for me personally) more a "niche knife" for situations where I for whatever reason would want an overbuilt fat blade or just the "cool factor" of a "baby PM2".

So in my opinion they should either shift SOME of the steel choices the Para 3 comes in towards the Sage 5 (or towards the Watu?) or create another( lighter, thinner bladed and optimized concerning actual grip area on the handle) comp. lock model that then comes in more steel variants - solely in order to create choices.

Just my 2c of course, and since I am more into backlocks, I have choices here anyway (Delica, Native, Chap..)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:33 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I am generally with you in that the Sage series should primarily "just" showcase different lock types, and S30V is totally fine with me anyway.

Still: If I was into Sage sized Spydies, wanted a comp. lock and various steel choices, I´d probably be a bit annoyed by the disproportion between Sage 5 and Para 3 when it comes to variants. And there are not too many other choices, right (with a comp.lock)? (Now for example the Watu, but that one is also S30V)

For me personally the Sage 5 is THE small comp. lock knife that is really designed as a small knife from the scratch and "does it right" for me in most aspects (reasonable "thin" bladestock (though it could be thinner, 2.5 like the Delica), grip area on the actual handle optimized and so on).
While the Para 3 is cool, but (again, for me personally) more a "niche knife" for situations where I for whatever reason would want an overbuilt fat blade or just the "cool factor" of a "baby PM2".

So in my opinion they should either shift SOME of the steel choices the Para 3 comes in towards the Sage 5 (or towards the Watu?) or create another( lighter, thinner bladed and optimized concerning actual grip area on the handle) comp. lock model that then comes in more steel variants - solely in order to create choices.

Just my 2c of course, and since I am more into backlocks, I have choices here anyway (Delica, Native, Chap..)
I hear you, and those are valid points. Must be hellish for Spyderco to decide when theoretically they could probably make each and every knife in the portfolio with 4 different locks and 10 different steels and (some) people would still go "If only the X was 3mm longer, or Y came without finger choil" :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes, premium steel yes.
I would even go with CTS XHP, just almost anything but S30V.
Lets go all the way Lightweight, in BD1N
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:34 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:33 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I hear you, and those are valid points. Must be hellish for Spyderco to decide when theoretically they could probably make each and every knife in the portfolio with 4 different locks and 10 different steels and (some) people would still go "If only the X was 3mm longer, or Y came without finger choil" :)

Yes, I am glad that I am NOT the one who has to decide such things.. ;)

But again, in the small-comp.-lock-knife-arena imho there is just a disproportion towards the Para 3 when it comes to (steel- and other) variants, and a knife like the Sage 5 would offer an alternative comp. lock model in the same size range for those who want thinner stock, leaf shape, probably stronger tip, no space restricting "hook" at the rear end of the handle and so on...(and those who like the Para 3 would still get enough versions of that one too of course!)

So I am not arguing against the Para 3 here , but just think the variants and sprints could be better divided (distributed? Not sure which english term is correct here) between Para 3 and a Sage 5 like comp. lock folder.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I echo Larry.

And I’ll go a step farther.

Many newer (than me) and more active (than me) people here seem less interested in what has motivated the Glessers in their design-decisions and, so, second-guess these decisions with selfish change-requests, sometimes even before an announced model materializes.

This disrespectful clamoring also finds its way into Sal’s bombshell thread where, now, irrelevant personal exchanges have ruined a once-useful signal-to-noise ratio.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”