St. Nick's 4v pm2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: St. Nick's 4v pm2!

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:21 pm
For the new forum members here saying St Nick's lost a customer, have you ever purchased a non-exclusive from them? If not, then you weren't really a customer to begin with.

St Nick's has the smoothest drop experience of any of the sites, they just happen to be in the most demand so the hustle is real. Gotta be quick!

They have live inventory, limit to one per customer, are ordering full runs of 1200 now, the website doesn't crash, they don't jack up prices, shipping is free, you get swag with your knife, not sure what more you could want.

I try to buy my non-exclusive sprints and production models from them as much as possible. GREAT guys!
+1! I've got 3 non exclusives from them...as well as 3 of their fast selling exclusives and never had any issues. One of my go to places for knives these days.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

They're a great company. I've bought a couple knives from them, one of them being the Lil Native exclusive. Very smooth transaction and fast shipping too.

Sorry to those who missed out! I can understand the frustration.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

blues wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:46 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:40 pm
chrisjohn wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:11 pm
They didn't have a digital line because the knife was removed from my cart when I tried to pay.
They did have a digital line - I was in it. At checkout I was taken to a wait screen which said they were holding my place in line while processing the heavy traffic. As instructed, I did not refresh the page, and after a few seconds it took me back to checkout.

St. Nick's seems like a great small business to me - I've always had positive experiences with them, whether for exclusive purchases or other sprints, etc. They do everything they can to make these drops go well, and they're always improving. Sure I'd be disappointed if I'd missed this one, or the Manix, but I sure wouldn't fault them for ordering an exclusive that's so great that everyone wants one.
And that is exactly the screen info I received and what I did...and after I was forwarded on I pasted in my (pre-copied) payment info, I pressed the "pay" button and got a "sold out" message. There were over 900 knives available when I went to checkout.

So, just because it worked in your case or some cases, it did not work in others. I have no heartburn over it. Just stating the facts.
Yes, as I understand it, the digital line isn't meant to hold a knife for anyone, just to hold your place in line so the server can manage the traffic. When you finally get to the front of the line, the knife could be sold out depending on how many people were in front of you. My point was that they added this step to ensure their site didn't crash, which is great. I hope St. Nick's will consider a second run for anyone that missed out today, and I definitely hope other dealers catch on to the popularity of 4v steel.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

willc wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:59 pm
Only speculating but I have a feeling someone at St Nicks is sitting on a bunch of these now and they will now let them go to the highest bidder.
They might be still be sitting on 300 knives (honestly don't know) but the highest bidder part is pure BS
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ncvarmint

Post by ncvarmint »

I got my confirmation it said 3:00:51 and got a tracking confirmation about an hour later. I was tickled to death actually got one
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

grg wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:36 pm
chrisjohn wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:11 pm
They didn't have a digital line because the knife was removed from my cart when I tried to pay.
this
Same for me...I was in the payment process and then no stock, That is NOT a digital line when their system says stand by to check out and you get bumped OUT of line. I guess that is what they mean by "we do not have cart protection"
Someone that is higher tech than I has figured out how to snipe these drops.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:05 pm
willc wrote:
Only speculating but I have a feeling someone at St Nicks is sitting on a bunch of these now and they will now let them go to the highest bidder.
They might be still be sitting on 300 knives (honestly don't know) but the highest bidder part is pure BS
We don't know how many knives they got from Spyderco or how many they put up for sale, but there were rumors that this is a 1200 run and there were well over 900 when I put one in my cart. (over 900 or not, within 30 seconds they were gone). I gather from past exclusives that the store gets most of the number that they ordered, but sometimes Spyderco will find additional knives after the initial shipment and send them another 50 or 100. I've seen this happen in the past. Now if the owner of the store wanted to keep a few for himself, give one to each employee, send a couple to his son, that's his right. It's just incredible demand for these knives, much more than the really popular models in the past.
Monty

Post by Monty »

More people wanted one than what was available.

I don't really understand getting angry, they can't magically increase the number available.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Monty wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:21 pm

I don't really understand getting angry, they can't magically increase the number available.
Right!? There will be another PM2 in the future that will likely blow this one out of the water. All the people crying about missing out won't even remember they didn't have this one sitting in a pretty box or safe anyways :rolleyes:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bdblue wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:19 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
willc wrote:
We don't know how many knives they got from Spyderco or how many they put up for sale, but there were rumors that this is a 1200 run and there were well over 900 when I put one in my cart. (over 900 or not, within 30 seconds they were gone). I gather from past exclusives that the store gets most of the number that they ordered, but sometimes Spyderco will find additional knives after the initial shipment and send them another 50 or 100. I've seen this happen in the past. Now if the owner of the store wanted to keep a few for himself, give one to each employee, send a couple to his son, that's his right. It's just incredible demand for these knives, much more than the really popular models in the past.
Yeah I'm pretty sure Dillon said it was a 1200 pc run in response to a question on IG. As I'm sure you're aware, not all pieces of a run make it through QC. My guess is they also kept a little more this time to sell in their stores. If so, good for them for taking care of their local customers. IDK, I haven't communicated with Dillon or Greg since they announced this one was dropping. So I'm just guessing like everyone else. I do know that these guys have integrity and want to do the right thing for their customers. So the idea that they'd hold some back to sell to the highest bidder doesn't sit well with me. In fact it pisses me off to read something like that.

I just noticed you're in Dallas (or the area). I'm just north of the DFW Int'l
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:38 pm
bdblue wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:19 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
willc wrote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure Dillon said it was a 1200 pc run in response to a question on IG. As I'm sure you're aware, not all pieces of a run make it through QC. My guess is they also kept a little more this time to sell in their stores. If so, good for them for taking care of their local customers. IDK, I haven't communicated with Dillon or Greg since they announced this one was dropping. So I'm just guessing like everyone else. I do know that these guys have integrity and want to do the right thing for their customers. So the idea that they'd hold some back to sell to the highest bidder doesn't sit well with me. In fact it pisses me off to read something like that.

+1. No chance they are holding them to flip. A chunk likely went to their local store and a chunk likely didn't pass QC. Those are the ones you will see at the annual Spyderco seconds sale.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:26 pm
Monty wrote:

Right!? There will be another PM2 in the future that will likely blow this one out of the water. All the people crying about missing out won't even remember they didn't have this one sitting in a pretty box or safe anyways :rolleyes:

+1 I was salty about the Knife Joker Cruwear Shaman but then I just got over it. I don't even like smooth G10. Plenty of other Cruwear knives and plenty of other Shamans.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

I've been buying knives online since the mid 90's and never had an experience like what occurred this afternoon. Been around awhile. Just saying.

I have no issue with a limited number or not getting a knife. The issue I have is being able to add the item to your cart and having it sold out from under the user.

Too many knives out there to be treated in that way.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

chrisjohn wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:53 pm
I've been buying knives online since the mid 90's and never had an experience like what occurred this afternoon. Been around awhile. Just saying.

I have no issue with a limited number or not getting a knife. The issue I have is being able to add the item to your cart and having it sold out from under the user.

Nobody is treating you any "way", and this comment is repeated everytime there is a fast-selling sprint people aren't able to fully check-out with prior to it being sold out. Being able to add it to your cart doesn't guarantee you anything except that there was at least one not paid for when you clicked add to cart. You have to fully checkout to actually expect to receive anything, this is standard practice. Online stores do not reserve inventory added to carts for good reason.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

chrisjohn wrote:

I've had it happened to me once. It ain't over until the fat lady sings -- or in this case until you get that message, "your order has been accepted".

But I understand how you feel, like the rug getting yanked out from under you. I was certainly surprised when it happened to me. You just can't count your chickens until they are hatched, that is all I can say. Life goes on.

I wasn't in on this frenzy -- I've been letting a lot of things pass me by lately in the knife world, but I should keep my ear to the rail more. Mising that 10V PM2 from Rivers Edge annoyed me quite a bit.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

chrisjohn wrote:

This happens at pretty much every online retailer. I shop online for 99% of my non-grocery purchases and am always leaving things in my carts to purchase later when I get paid or have time to find more to add for free shipping or whatever. Amazon, Wal-Mart, whoever will sell stuff in your cart and it will be gone. It is the rule, not the exception. Having something in your online cart means nothing at 99.9% of online retailers.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

So, my estimation for 0.5 minute and winning-a-lottery chance to get one were quite accurate.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
nrdVoVyS

Post by nrdVoVyS »

To those who are frustrated, I know how you feel. This went even quicker than a hyped Jordan or Yeezy release. I'm also a shoe collector so I know. Some people may have used what they call a "bot" - an automated process or a script that will buy the item for you! If what you guys are saying is true that there were at least 1.2k knives, then I'm pretty sure people bought multiples. They just had to use multiple credits cards and slightly modified the addresses (Street to St, Drive to Dr, etc) to bypass the check. St Nick's should at least cross-check names. I bet they will catch a good chunk of multiple orders.

I didn't use any of that. And I think I'm one of the lucky ones because while I was on that waiting screen, it kicked me back to the homepage. So I went back to my cart and did the checkout again. Couldn't believe it went thru :eek:

I'm now a proud owner of a St Nick's PM2 and 2 Knifeworks PM3 Forest Green. Both were released this week. These are my first Spydercos...now I'm tempted to sell all my Benchmades LOL
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m not really in the market for more PM2s, but this one had a visual appeal that really hooked me! I’ve got the rex45 and 52100; I’d really like one of the Knifeworks M4/CF versions but beyond that I’m not really interested.

I hope SNK offers a military in this configuration, as that is my preferred “off days” and “teleworking” model!
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:26 pm
Monty wrote:

REC Paramilitary 2 exclusive? :cool: