Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Re: Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Post by foofie »

Oogie wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 pm
Only word of cation I can think to share is for those folks that are passionately against styles where the finger choil extends into the comp lock cutout during closing, the Watu may not be your best choice.
Could someone post a picture of the Watu closed (focused on the comp lock cut-out)? I can only find some stock photos online - and they all look edited. Is the amount of choil in the cutout enough to bump off the finger and leave the blade a bit open?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:31 am
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:56 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:51 am
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:49 am
This is a really nice piece! Typical flawless Taichung F&F! Right off the bat, I'm very impressed with how comfortable the simple "stick" handle is.. my initial overall impressions of this knife are quite favorable!

Cool flight tag where did you get it? SFO?
Came in the box with my order from Cutlery Shoppe.. along with a pen and the usual lollipops.. it was a pretty nice surprise!
Cutlery Shoppe is a class act.
Yes they are!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

foofie wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 am
Oogie wrote:
Only word of cation I can think to share is for those folks that are passionately against styles where the finger choil extends into the comp lock cutout during closing, the Watu may not be your best choice.
Could someone post a picture of the Watu closed (focused on the comp lock cut-out)? I can only find some stock photos online - and they all look edited. Is the amount of choil in the cutout enough to bump off the finger and leave the blade a bit open?

Yes, it will leave the blade a bit open if you fight to leave your finger on the tab. But my experience has been similar to the shaman. The bump of the choil hits my finger, but pushes it off at just the right time so that it just closes. I have been constantly fidgeting with this since yesterday morning and have had no problems whatsoever.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was just going to mention the same thing, that it seems similar to the "issue" with the Shaman. It just takes a little practice and before you know it, it's second nature to move your finger in time.

I had no intentions of getting this knife, but the more I look at it, the more I'm liking it!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

I wanted one badly, but that killed it for me when I saw the pics of the tab in the comp lock.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I have had a lil native comp lock with this "issue" for over 2 years and never had an issue...never been cut and always move my finger out of the way. And i have tiny fingers which in theory would be more susceptible to getting cut by the exposed 1 mm of edge. The ricasso and choil protect your finger anyway because they stick out more than the edge. I honestly don't understand the hate. Would love to see pictures of all the people out there that complain about this issue and their cut fingers... Oh wait. Exposed tips are an issue, not this.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
foofie

Post by foofie »

PStone wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:02 pm
Yes, it will leave the blade a bit open if you fight to leave your finger on the tab. But my experience has been similar to the shaman. The bump of the choil hits my finger, but pushes it off at just the right time so that it just closes. I have been constantly fidgeting with this since yesterday morning and have had no problems whatsoever.
Thank you.
This is a non issue for me - but it sounds like some feel passionately about it.
One other thing to point out - when holding the knife to release the compression lock, your index finger nail is facing the choil/blade. If any part of your finger were to come in contact with the cutting edge (big IF), it would be the nail and not any skin.

edit - based on my experience with the ikuchi. Still waiting on my Watu.
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Got one inbound from DLT. Been looking forward to this one for a while. Glad to hear initial reports of free dropping action, even though it wouldn’t have been a deal breaker at all.
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Mm1313 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:38 pm
I wanted one badly, but that killed it for me when I saw the pics of the tab in the comp lock.
This is also the reason I had to sell the Kapara, finger would get hit everytime, otherwise it would be the perfect knife for me. The Sage 5 also did this to a degree, but it could be avoided if I moved my finger forward a bit to avoid it. I wonder if this one has any space in front of or behind its "nub"?
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

At first I thought this knife was ugly. I still do now, a liitle bit less than before. It is growing on me and I will probably end up with one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Molle Ninja wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:06 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:45 pm
One of the great things about the compression lock is the ability to open the blade by pressing on the lock when the blade is facing down. Of course, that same thing goes for closing, too.

On the first Kaparas, while a lovely knife they didn’t have this attribute. Still a nice lock, but it loses two great functions of Sal’s lock.

So if I could pick, I’d want one with those extra two characteristics.

Perhaps I don´t fully get what you mean, but you can do that as easily with a CBBL too, and even with a backlock it is not problem at all (with the latter: Press the lockbar with your index finger and give the knife just a little wrist flick)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PStone wrote:
foofie wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 am
Oogie wrote:

Sure I totally respect if someone just does not like the finger being "hit" when closing a comp. lock knife, but still I have to say: I personally don´t fully understand why.
I have quite a bit experience and use with the comp. lock,mainly with my PM2, where the finger does not "get hit", but when I could handle a Shaman twice, from the very beginning it was no issue at all for me that a bit of the choil extended into the comp. lock cutout when closing the knife.

That being said: I really like the Watus design, but I personally think a linerlock (like on the Chokwe) would suit it even a tad better than a comp. lock. I am not talking functionality here, but just about the overall "basic, simple" style of the knife, while the comp. lock is somehow a very sophisticated "modern" type of lock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PStone

Post by PStone »

foofie wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:04 pm

Thank you.
This is a non issue for me - but it sounds like some feel passionately about it.
One other thing to point out - when holding the knife to release the compression lock, your index finger nail is facing the choil/blade. If any part of your finger were to come in contact with the cutting edge (big IF), it would be the nail and not any skin.

edit - based on my experience with the ikuchi. Still waiting on my Watu.

You’re welcome. If you would like any more angles or comparisons, I’d be happy to post some.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 pm
PStone wrote:

Sure I totally respect if someone just does not like the finger being "hit" when closing a comp. lock knife, but still I have to say: I personally don´t fully understand why.
I have quite a bit experience and use with the comp. lock,mainly with my PM2, where the finger does not "get hit", but when I could handle a Shaman twice, from the very beginning it was no issue at all for me that a bit of the choil extended into the comp. lock cutout when closing the knife.

That being said: I really like the Watus design, but I personally think a linerlock (like on the Chokwe) would suit it even a tad better than a comp. lock. I am not talking functionality here, but just about the overall "basic, simple" style of the knife, while the comp. lock is somehow a very sophisticated "modern" type of lock.
I agree. I get why some people don’t like it. But I’m not one of them. I actually think it helps me time my release better, and avoid the “bouncing” that I sometimes get with my pm2.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Mine arrived today. Totally awesome!

I think this might kick the Delica out of my pocket... it's superior in many ways... more neutral grip, pointy tip, thinner grind, deep carry wire clip. The only thing missing is a black wire clip, which is easily remedied.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Got email that mine shipped today! So excited!!!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

You guys are such enablers :p I was trying to resist but...
-Turbo
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thats an awesome shot, Turbo!
-Nick :bug-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Mine came in yesterday and it's everything I hoped it would be! Big thank you to Sal!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:06 pm
Thats an awesome shot, Turbo!
Thanks! Im looking forward to carrying it today. Looks like this one's gonna end up getting a lot of pocket time. :D
-Turbo