Bladeops waved pm2 exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JustinB

Re: Bladeops waved pm2 exclusive

Post by JustinB »

I am not a big wave opener fan, but there is something really compelling about this. I wont be getting one either way, but to those who do, I hope you enjoy it :D
Justin :spyder:
jdw

Post by jdw »

joeldworkin307 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:55 pm
With as smooth an action as the PM2 already has, this just seems unnecessary. I would end up stabbing myself in the thigh.

This was my first thought as well. I am not a fan and I am not a coated blade guy but I think that there would be more interest if it were blacked out.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Monty

Post by Monty »

Love the wave feature but dislike the PM2. Hope this sells so we continue to get more waved knives in the future. Seems like the crowd that buys and stores away all the new PM's for a new scale color are going to be pretty divided on this one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I kinda dig it. If you're not into the wave hook, I'm imagining a very cool looking bayonet profile if you grind it off. People have done it with Enduras and it's pretty sweet looking.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I strongly dislike it, make it a recurve tanto, with partial serrations in 3cr13mov to complete my contempt for it...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like it. If I wasn't being forced to take a little break from knife buying I'd grab one of these and a Watu. Really curious to see how a liner lock does with being constantly waved open. One of my gripes about my emersons was how much lock wear waving caused. I'm sure the compression lock will do better than the liner lock, but I want to see how it stacks up to the back lock or CBBL, wich I think are as good as it gets for the wave (P'kal, Endura).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:34 pm
I like it. If I wasn't being forced to take a little break from knife buying I'd grab one of these and a Watu. Really curious to see how a liner lock does with being constantly waved open. One of my gripes about my emersons was how much lock wear waving caused. I'm sure the compression lock will do better than the liner lock, but I want to see how it stacks up to the back lock or CBBL, wich I think are as good as it gets for the wave (P'kal, Endura).
How would waving cause excessive lock wear? Surely not any more than flicking?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
kells45

Post by kells45 »

Never used an Emerson wave but I like the looks of this one. Make mine full serrated
phaust

Post by phaust »

I wonder what the extra force from waving open will do to the comp lock longer term. Interested to see how it turns out.

Love the blade shape
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I like tactical bottle openers... would be cool if a 1/2 serrate and or full SE option was available
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
V-1.5 aka V-1

Post by V-1.5 aka V-1 »

YES! Love the Emerson Wave feature but I've never had good luck with Emerson Knives. I've had a couple Emerson's and I've never been too impressed. I love the ergonomics but I'm not happy with the execution or F&F. After deploying them with the wave, the liner lock always "walks" right across the tang and results in sloppy lock up.
Now the Delica and Endura Wave models have never given me any trouble. After years and years of deploying them with the wave from my pocket they are still tight.
I'll be picking one of these up for sure.
Now the team has some time to start designing the prototype waved Yojimbo 2...come on, you know you want one.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:22 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:34 pm
How would waving cause excessive lock wear? Surely not any more than flicking?
Pardon the delayed response. A few of my Emersons that got waved out a lot (especially when the knife was brand new), got faster lock wear than the ones that didn't. One of them developed a bad case of lock rock and needed to be repaired (I have like 13 emersons and that was the only one that ever had that issue).

I think it's because waving has the potential to put a lot more energy into the opening than flicking. When you're flicking you're just using the strength of your finger. When waving out of the pocket, if you're trying to do it as fast as you can, for example if you're doing practice drills for self defense, you're putting the force or your whole arm into the opening. It opens very hard, and is hard on the lock interface. I have noticed this is less of an issue with waved backlocks and caged ball bearing locks. I'm curious how the compression lock would hold up to agressive repeated openings.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Does it wear out the lock or just the stop pin? I would think the stop pin could be rotated after wearing.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This should be an interesting test bed for compression lock durability!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:16 am
This should be an interesting test bed for compression lock durability!

Maybe. I would think the flicker people and or the flipper models have already put it through the ringer, if not then lots of zip tie openings have already happened.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:54 pm
I kinda dig it. If you're not into the wave hook, I'm imagining a very cool looking bayonet profile if you grind it off. People have done it with Enduras and it's pretty sweet looking.
Yup, I agree.

Should be a good hard use grind too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JMM

Post by JMM »

I got mine yesterday, I am not a huge PM2 fan, but this one looked interesting enough to me that I picked one up, I must say I am really impressed! Perfect drop shut OOTB, the first PM2 (or Para3) I've ever purchased that needed absolutely zero pivot screw adjusting. I like the weight and feel of the knife, mine was well sharpened, I'd say slightly better than average, I just stropped it and I'm happy with it for now.... what have others experienced?
Joey

Post by Joey »

I have to say I am more impressed than I thought I would be. It’s a neat idea, but I am mostly impressed with the different blade grind. It’s weird to see in person, after seeing so many (exclusively) clip point FFG PM2. It’s also a noticeably heavier blade, which changes things up as well. I will most likely grind off the wave feature at some point, since I won’t be using it for my go-to self defense carry.

Lastly, I thought it was a breath of fresh air to have a tip up configuration set up from the factory. There’s no damage to the G10 texture from the clip being installed tip down. This is of course mostly nice for those who prefer to change the positioning from the factory.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Less than 100 left if I am using the internet correctly
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Now we need a waved P4 LW
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006