The Usefulness Of Multi-Tools In This National Emergency

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The Usefulness Of Multi-Tools In This National Emergency

Post by JD Spydo »

Many of us knife & tool lovers who have been on this forum for a while have recently got to put our prep tools to the test during this virus pandemic. I'm speaking particularly about Multi-Tools in general. In the past 3 weeks where I'm living we've had two minor power outages and several of our local stores have been depleted of vital necessities>> with that said I've actually put some of my knives, tools and particularly Multi-Tools to the test more than I have in a long time. So let's chat about how your Multi-Tools have helped during this emergency period we've been in recently.

Now I've seen several of the companies who make Multi-Tools really ramp up the overall quality of their units that they sell in their product lines. Three companies in particular that I've seen some significant improvements in their Multi-Tool product lines in the past 3 years are Victorinox, Leatherman and Gerber.

Victorinox has been my favorite Multi-Tool line for some time now. The tools on their Multi-Tools really do work and work very well and are built to endure harsh conditions. And I've also always had respect for the Multi-Tools made by Gerber and Leatherman respectively. I've really wanted to see Spyderco get back into the Multi-Tool competition again. Yeah I realize that the SPYDERENCH was a totally different animal as far as Multi-Tools go. But I always took my "user" Spyderench with me when I would pack one of my Victorinox units ( SWISS TOOL & SWISS TOOL X).

Let's compare notes on multi-tools shall we? Also how has your Multi-tool been helpful to you during this "virus scare"? What improvements would you like to see in the Multi-Tools currently on the market>> especially with your favorite company who makes them?
kennethsime

Re: The Usefulness Of Multi-Tools In This National Emergency

Post by kennethsime »

I know a lot of people swear by their Leatherman multitools, but I grew up on Victorinox Swiss Army knives and my first and only multitool was a Victorinox SwissTool (from when they only made the one). It may not have an S30V blade, but all of it's tools are incredibly functional, comfortable, easy to use, and frankly, beautifully made. The action is nice and consistent across the tools, and the weight in-hand inspires confidence.

I still haven't see a multitool from another company that has figured out that chamfering the edges of each tool just a bit makes a huge difference in comfort and ease of use.

Sadly, this baby was lost some time ago. Shame, as it's built to last a lifetime.

Edit: They have so many models now I was having trouble figuring out a replacement to order. So I made a little table. In case anyone else is considering a Swisstool purchase, here you go!
Last edited by kennethsime on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I've had several Leatherman tools, but when it comes down to quality and reliability, my Swisstools win every time. I currently have the full sized Swisstool, which is all I have ever needed in a Multitool. I grew up with Swiss Army Knives too, and it helps that the tool set is basically the same.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:36 pm
I know a lot of people swear by their Leatherman multitools, but I grew up on Victorinox Swiss Army knives and my first and only multitool was a Victorinox SwissTool (from when they only made the one). It may not have an S30V blade, but all of it's tools are incredibly functional, comfortable, easy to use, and frankly, beautifully made. The action is nice and consistent across the tools, and the weight in-hand inspires confidence.

I still haven't see a multitool from another company that has figured out that chamfering the edges of each tool just a bit makes a huge difference.

Sadly, this baby was lost some time ago. Shame, as it's built to last a lifetime.

IMO they make the best MT's money can buy. I love how all their tools are highly polished (great for corrosion resistance) but I do wish they'd figure out how to make the tips of their screwdrivers sharper so they bite the heads of screws better, particularly the Philips.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:52 pm
IMO they make the best MT's money can buy. I love how all their tools are highly polished (great for corrosion resistance) but I do wish they'd figure out how to make the tips of their screwdrivers sharper so they bite the heads of screws better, particularly the Philips.
David, I know you have a lot of Spyderco's ceramics, have you picked up the ceramic file set? I wonder if these could be used to sharpen the Victorinox tools to your liking.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:02 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:52 pm
David, I know you have a lot of Spyderco's ceramics, have you picked up the ceramic file set? I wonder if these could be used to sharpen the Victorinox tools to your liking.

No don't have those, I've thought about trying to sharpen them but the Philips especially I'm afraid I'll remove too much metal and end up with a tip that's too small. The flat heads aren't too bad and would be easy to sharpen up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve carried Victorinox SAKs for nearly 40 years now. And my pliers-based multi-tool of choice is the Victorinox Spirit. I’ve had mine for 10 years, and used to carry it on my belt for a few years, but now only carry it occasionally. I’d also tried Leatherman tools as well, and they’re good, but I prefer Victorinox products. I haven’t personally had any real issues with the polished slipperiness of Victorinox’s screwdrivers.

As to the original question, I personally haven’t found any more uses for a multi-tool during this pandemic/lockdown than in normal times. If I ever had to bug out, the Spirit would be included in my kit/bug-out bag, but that’s not happening now. TBH, I feel kinda like I’m doing wrong by discussing my Victorinox products on the Spyderco General Discussion Forum.

Jim
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I just wish more multi tools felt better than a bunch of stamped parts riveted together
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I regularly utilize my leatherman skeletool for various tasks. I had a wave but I sold it because close to 9 OZ was way to much for my pocket and I'm not a belt pouch person. The skeletool's blade holds an edge pretty well for being 420HC and it sharpens back up to a hair popping edge with little effort. The pliers are great and don't bend or give under a lot of pressure. the driver bits always work well and haven't deformed in the slightest after quite a bit of use. The one negative I can say about it is that the handles do dig into the hand when you're giving them a good squeezing and it isn't the most comfortable thing in the world. Overall though, great multitool that's well made and works very well for a myriad of tasks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carry and use the very practical Vic Pioneer X. It has everything I generally need and nothing I don’t. It is slimmer in the pocket than most multi tools.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
brj

Post by brj »

Can't say that I've used my MTs much during this last month or so (being at home and having full sized tools at my fingertips if/when needed). The Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit living in my backpack has seen no action at all, nor has the Leatherman Wave living in the car armrest.

However, staying at home meant cooking a lot more than in 'normal' times so my most used tool these days has definitely been the Spyderco Jumpmaster II, that I've been using for close to 100% of the cutting tasks I've come across, from everything related to food prep to opening packages and stuff. Funny enough, I've bought it some time ago with a bug-out bag in mind and have scarcely if at all used it before, while over the last couple of weeks it has always been within reaching distance and in almost constant use.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My Surge lives out, ready and waiting. Mrs is furloughed and keeping busy, inevitably creating lists of “can you just ... this, so I can ....”. 8 out of 10 times the Surge is enough to do the job and allows me to get back to MY work.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I use full sized pliers and screwdrivers when working around the house. This hasn't changed, even during the pandemic. I carry a Leatherman Wave when I go out, but honestly, it rarely sees any use since my pocket knife takes care of day-to-day cutting tasks. I still carry it as our country is in the Pacific Ring of Fire, and I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Just yesterday, I used my Leatherman Surge while installing vinyl flooring. This thread may need to be moved to Off-Topic. I've posted the use of my Surge in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85925
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Picked up a Leatherman Free p4 recently. It's quite useful for home improvements!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well Victorinox has made a better showing than I thought it would so far into the thread. I'm still wondering if Spyderco has considered making a more conventional type of Multi-tool>> just dreaming I think that Spyderco and Victorinox could come up with a cool collaboration? The SPYDERENCH was a brilliant piece of engineering and I won't ever give up the two that I own. But most people just didn't understand the SPYDERENCH and for the price tag most Spyderco fans just elected to buy one of their great folders or fixed blades instead and I can certainly understand that.

During this national "shutdown" I've found myself even carrying one of my Multi-Tools a lot more than I had been throughout the year.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:54 pm
I carry and use the very practical Vic Pioneer X. It has everything I generally need and nothing I don’t. It is slimmer in the pocket than most multi tools.
If we're counting SAK-style multi-tools, and not just pliers-based multi-tools, I had my first Victorinox Sportsman when I was 6 years old, my first pocket knife. I carry a Victorinox Spartan every day, which is the same knife with a second sharp blade rather than a fingernail file. I've added the little eyeglass screwdriver that nests into the corkscrew. I use it several times per day, almost as often as my Spyderco. I think this is honestly the biggest reason I haven't bothered to pickup a full-size multitool to replace my Swisstool; the Spartan does most of what I need on a daily basis, and my tool box isn't that far away when you get down to it. And as Doc points out, I can mostly drop it in the bottom of my pocket and forget about it.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:12 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:54 pm
If we're counting SAK-style multi-tools, and not just pliers-based multi-tools, I had my first Victorinox Sportsman when I was 6 years old, my first pocket knife. I carry a Victorinox Spartan every day, which is the same knife with a second sharp blade rather than a fingernail file. I've added the little eyeglass screwdriver that nests into the corkscrew. I use it several times per day, almost as often as my Spyderco. I think this is honestly the biggest reason I haven't bothered to pickup a full-size multitool to replace my Swisstool; the Spartan does most of what I need on a daily basis, and my tool box isn't that far away when you get down to it. And as Doc points out, I can mostly drop it in the bottom of my pocket and forget about it.
Very interesting post Brother :) I feel we are both on the same page in many respects. When it comes to what I call my first multi-tool I would have to say that my Victorinox CHAMP model ( folder with about 40 various tools) would have been my first taste of a multi-tool. But my very first conventional plier type Multi-tool was my Victorinox "SWISS TOOL". That SWISS TOOL is built like a battle tank and all the tools on it work very well IMO. It's been a great Multi-tool along with my Victorinox SWISS TOOL X. Since being sold on Victorinox Multi-tools I've not had any desire for any others with the exception of my two SPYDERENCHs.

Which is why I do believe that Victorinox and Spyderco could come up with a super collaboration Multi-tool.

Also what have you guys used your Multi-tools for in this national emergency? Mine sure has come in handy a few times in the past two weeks.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:09 pm
I’ve carried Victorinox SAKs for nearly 40 years now. And my pliers-based multi-tool of choice is the Victorinox Spirit. I’ve had mine for 10 years, and used to carry it on my belt for a few years, but now only carry it occasionally. I’d also tried Leatherman tools as well, and they’re good, but I prefer Victorinox products. I haven’t personally had any real issues with the polished slipperiness of Victorinox’s screwdrivers.

As to the original question, I personally haven’t found any more uses for a multi-tool during this pandemic/lockdown than in normal times. If I ever had to bug out, the Spirit would be included in my kit/bug-out bag, but that’s not happening now. TBH, I feel kinda like I’m doing wrong by discussing my Victorinox products on the Spyderco General Discussion Forum.

Jim
Jim I've heard that the Victorinox SPIRIT model multi-tool is a really well built unit. I'm just wondering if you ever got to compare it to any of the other great Multi-tools that Victorinox has made in the past 15 years or so? You've always seemed to like most of the tools that I like. I've never really checked out many other brands of Multi-tools because I've found the units made by Victorinox are so good that I just don't find a need to.

Knowing you're in California I can see why you wouldn't use a Multi-tool any more than usual. Two of my friends that have lived there for years said that most everyone are strictly confined to their homes during this national emergency.

I think that owning a Multi-tool during times like this is essential because you just have no idea of when you might have a power outage or any number of problems that might arise.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:40 am
James Y wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:09 pm

Jim
Jim I've heard that the Victorinox SPIRIT model multi-tool is a really well built unit. I'm just wondering if you ever got to compare it to any of the other great Multi-tools that Victorinox has made in the past 15 years or so? You've always seemed to like most of the tools that I like. I've never really checked out many other brands of Multi-tools because I've found the units made by Victorinox are so good that I just don't find a need to.

Knowing you're in California I can see why you wouldn't use a Multi-tool any more than usual. Two of my friends that have lived there for years said that most everyone are strictly confined to their homes during this national emergency.

I think that owning a Multi-tool during times like this is essential because you just have no idea of when you might have a power outage or any number of problems that might arise.
Joe,
I have also owned one of the original Swisstools a few years before the Spirit. I like the Spirit’s size and weight better, and it’s more ergonomic in-hand due to the bowed handles, which also makes accessing the implements much easier. Where I am, the only acceptable reasons to be outdoors are for essential things like shopping, banking, post office, etc., or for legitimately exercising outdoors. Otherwise, you’re supposed to stay home, which I’m complying with. Some people got ticketed by parking in a parking lot overlooking the ocean for the view(!). I’m only going out once or twice a week at most for brief periods for essential tasks. So, no need at all for my multi-tool. Well, I did tighten my garage doorknob this morning with the Phillips on my Spirit..:)

Regardless of whichever Spydie knife I might be carrying on any given day, I always carry and use my Spartan and Executive SAKs every day, and they see use every day, especially the Spartan.

Jim