Please talk me into a military or para military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ldg

Please talk me into a military or para military

Post by Ldg »

I need some persuasion on justifying the cost, i’ve always had great luck with 8cr 13 and VG 10. Are the Colorado models really worth $150+?
GJMcD

Re: Please talk me into a military or para military

Post by GJMcD »

Yep. Definitely worth it. Steel selection aside, the fit and finish out of Golden is beyond compare. You only need to hear the solid click of a Native locking or feel the smooth deployment of ANY Golden model once and you’ll be sold.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ldg wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:13 am
I need some persuasion on justifying the cost, i’ve always had great luck with 8cr 13 and VG 10. Are the Colorado models really worth $150+?

These days I own almost exclusively Seki models (except one Golden and one Taichung), but YES the Golden ("Colorado") models are absolutely worth their price. I´d even say they are really not expensive for the quality and the design you´re getting.

Speaking of PM2 and Millie: For me the above is true for the S30V "base models", but also for the ones in more "exotic" and expensive steels (as far as I can tell, not a real "steel guy")

I think every person who loves knives should own or at least experience for some time a PM 2, as it combines many of the typical "Spyderco features": The ingenious comp.lock, finger choil, thumb ramp, S30V steel, full flat, rather slicey blade, very usefull, fine tip (though maybe not the strongest in the world), perfect fit and finish and a good general EDC size (Millie can be a bit large in carry for that imho).

Go for a PM2 I´d say, unless you already know you like large knives, then go Millie... :)

Should you want to stick to VG10, but a rather similar sized and -shaped knife as the PM2: Straight Spine Stretch (sprint run, but still available). It has a thinner, probably even slicier blade and is a bit lighter,
Differently to the PM2 it features a backlock and FRN scales (instead of comp lock and G10). Totally subjective what one prefers here imho.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

To your question, each model is pared down (except for size) to everything you need and nothing you don’t. Great in the hand and super-easy to clean out.

Don’t get hung up on steel. Spyderco does not offer a bad one. The good ones it offers will make you dizzy.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The Golden models are in a totally different league than anything else. I love em.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
blues

Post by blues »

They are worth it if they are worth it to you. I have several and enjoy them...but they aren't magic and won't do anything that your other beloved knives won't do. Though they may do it incrementally longer or better.

Almost all of my Spyderco knives come from Golden with a few exceptions for Seki and Maniago. The fact that they are made in the USA matters to me. Not for xenophobic reasons, simply to support those who live and work in my home country. Thankfully, the level of workmanship has not caused me to regret that choice.
- Retired from the chase -
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

The PM2 is a very well-made knife and is one of my personal favourites—it's a permanent piece in my modest Spyderco collection. And the Golden factory is right up there with the Taichung one in terms of quality & fit & finish. However, if I'm being totally honest, if you're already happy with, say, an Endura (or an Endela) or a Stretch 2 or a Polestar (a knife so underrated it's almost come around to being overrated), the PM2 isn't going to be some sort of radical revelation unless you've never tried a compression lock before.

It's a solid, reliable working knife, but Spyderco makes a lot of solid, reliable working knives (many of them more affordable than the PM2), so the one reason I would recommend a PM2 over any of Spyderco's other offerings has more to do with sentimentality, I guess, rather than functionality: Something about seeing both Sal & Eric Glesser's maker's marks on the knife makes me glad that I own one (the Para 3 & the Native Chief are two other Sal & Eric collaborations that come to mind, but the PM2 is the most "iconic" one, I think).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's been just about 3 & a 1/2 years since I've had my M390 Military as my full time, plain edged EDC. I've been tempted to go to one of my Para 2 models because of shorter blade length. I live here in Missouri where blade length is not a problem because we have a 4 inch blade length limit for most of the state.

I've had the blade on my C-36 Military model come in extremely handy at times. So as long as I can legally carry it I will. Now I also like the Para2 models depending on which blade steel it has. Truly you can't go wrong with either model.

I was told all the way back around 2002 that Sal designed the C-36 Military model in case one of his kids were to have to go to the Military they would have an ideal blade to use. The C-36 Military model has sure been a great performer for me>> that model along with the C-60 Ayoob so far have been my all time favorite plain edged EDC models. You just couldn't go wrong with the Millie or Para2 either one IMO.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Get a Caribbean, it's better. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

17 out of my 20 Spyderco's are from Golden...so there's that ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I have Spydies that I love from Golden, Taichung and Seki City and some i like OK from (gasp) China. I think Zuludelta is on point about relative value of Seki, Chinese, Golden made models.

Blues is also right about 'it is worth it, if it is to you'. If it's too much of a financial stretch it wouldn't be worth it for me.

As for Golden models I'd suggest you consider the Shaman for a comp lock knife or Native or Native Chief for the best back lock you'll meet. Those, the Stretch (1 and 2) and SpydieChef are my favorite models.
Last edited by Enactive on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

Ponder this first... Do you want the longest possible handle plus a finger choil and some cutting edge as an afterthought? Before you spend. Look at these. A Gale Bradley2 is vastly better with a fantastic steel (m4) as standard. I had 9 para 2 knives, now I have one just ao I can say I have one.
Attachments
A54D493D-E7A2-46ED-8A2C-E0CF74DA30D0.jpeg
A7297129-BA46-44C3-A423-D84D3F7F5F17.jpeg
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Ldg wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:13 am
Get a G-10 Manix to try them out. The G-10 Manix has fantastic fit and finish, and nice steel selection, but a bargain price. It's the best value in the Golden line up in my opinion.

There are other bargains from Golden, mostly as lightweights, like the Para 3 LW, Manix 2 LW and Native LW. But if you want to be blown away, get your hands on a Manix 2 in G-10 and try that. You can probably fiddle with it at most major outdoor retailers (our local Sportsman's warehouse has them at he display counter, for example).
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Golden Spyderco’s are excellent. However, one of the downsides of a comprehensive product range is that you will find some will fit you better than others, and some of those will suit your needs better than others.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

There's a reason I own more PM2's than any other model (not that the others aren't awesome.) Great design, great materials, and all the differnent variants make for fun collecting and use. The PM2 was the beginning of my Spyderco abuse disorder, and I'm still not clean lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Absolutely worth it. I started my new collection this past October.; I had lost the last of my old Spydercos a couple of years before. My first of the new batch was the green K390 Paramilitary 2. If I could only keep one knife, it would be this one. Sweet action, G10 never fails you, and man, K390 is a dream! Keeps cutting and cutting and cutting, and when it's finally time to touch up the edge comes back instantly. Well, pretty fast, anyway.

I carry a Para 3 most days. Same great action, same great ergonomics, in a slightly smaller, more people-friendly package. I just picked up a Para 3 LW as well, which is great for shorts/summer. You can pickup a Para 3 LW for $75 or so second hand, or new for $98. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Robishere wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:17 pm
Ponder this first... Do you want the longest possible handle plus a finger choil and some cutting edge as an afterthought? Before you spend. Look at these. A Gale Bradley2 is vastly better with a fantastic steel (m4) as standard. I had 9 para 2 knives, now I have one just ao I can say I have one.

Dude, the blade to handle ratio crusade is one that I can normally get behind, but geez man c'mon. Afterthought? Do you really think Spyderco are sitting around like "oh heck we've got this handle I GUESS we'll just stick whatever blade we have laying around in there"?

And to say this as nicely as I can regarding shiny footprints, those other knives are not ones I would call ergonomic. If I took a crap in my hand and squeezed it, the ergonomics would be better. Just saying.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Patterson

Post by Patterson »

I got my first Spyderco in January 2020 I went with the Tenacious because out of the amount I wanted to spend it was the best choice to me. When got it I was impressed with fit and finish and I continued to watch reviews on youtube , then I started watching videos on the PM 2 and decided I would get one in the future. Well i was using my Tenacious one day and was closing it one handed and cut my thumb and I decided I wasnt going to wait any longer I was going to spend the money for a PM2 because with the compression lock it seems like it would be safer to close with one hand.
Ldg

Post by Ldg »

Well I do have Trump dollars to spend now so that makes it easier to justify
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Robishere wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:17 pm

I am really valuing a good amount of cutting edge, but still I am not with you on that...

To judge a folder only by its edge to handle ratio imho misses the point, especially with a Spyderco! I´d just think the other way ´round:
Think of which amount of cutting edge (not blade length) you realistically need in your main EDC, than look for the Spydies that offer that amount of edge. Most of the times they will give you as a bonus a generous, amazingly ergonomic handle and several good grip positions.
I´ll admit that sometimes than can lead to a longer than usual closed length, and I´ll also admit that there are some Spydercos that I generally like, but they have a too short cutting edge for me. But there are still plenty that are more than fine in that regard (and for me offer better in ergonomics than any other brand I am aware of).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)