Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

Let me tell you what I saw today. And it made me angry :mad: . I was looking at the newest edition of Tactical KNives magazine. On page 91 I saw something that broke my heart :( . The knife company MOD ( Masters of Defense) has a new premium Hawkbill knife called the "Caracara". What really burns me up about this is that it is not a low quality show off type knife. Quite the contrary it is a premium built blade. The blade steel is S30V and the knife handle is CNC machined Titanium. It really breaks my heart that someone besides the Great Spyder Factory has already launched such a blade.

Now is the Time!!! We must petition the Great Spyder Factory to get on the ball and draw up the plans for a "barnburner" of a Hawkbill. Come on guys/gals here in Spyderville we must not let a competing knife company like MOD show up the Great Spyder Factory with a knife that should be and is an icon of the Spyderco tradition. The blade on the new Hawkbill should even be available in combo edge. The market is there. We need to brainstorm on this now!!! DOCTOR LECTER WHERE ARE YOU????!!!!! :D
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

We need a hawkbill with the following features

-Large 3-4 inch blade.

-Thick blade that won't bend or break, so maybe a slightly gentler curve.

-An MBC rated lock.

-A price that any one can afford. 30-70 dollars is a good range IMO.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I Cant Believe Mod Is Making A Good Knife I Bought A Duane Dieter Mod Mk2 A While Back Before I Discovered Spyderco, And Was Underimpressed, Just Did Not Like The Knife Still Have It Never Used It, Truly Not Even In The Same Class As A Manix Or A Lil Temp. So Wont Buy Another Mod For Any Reason! #9
JD Spydo

clearity

Post by JD Spydo »

You know maybe this all could be a "blessing in disguise". They have made the knife with a CNC milled Titanium handle and did go through the efforts of using S30V blade Steel. Albeit there are many more details to a quality knife than just merely having good materials. Maybe there is a purpose in all of this. Maybe, just Maybe this is a royal wake up call saying " The people want a premium Hawkbill"!!!. I say it's past time to get to the drawing board. I really don't mean to just revamp an older model either. I mean a brand new one with all the bugs worked out. And outdo the competition so bad that their RIP-Mart renditions will only be laughed at. This my friend is a big tap on the shoulder to let Spyderco know that they are at an intersection and the light is GREEN!!!. It's time to go with this NOW!!!! I know the good Doctor is out there :D
markIVbigblock

Post by markIVbigblock »

how funny just the other day i was thinkin man i wish there was an updated version of the harpy made of titanium w/ a CPM S30V blade offered in plain edge of course ;) or maybe one with H1 steel and a high visibility color FRN like bright yellow since after all it was made for marine applications so the H1 steel is tailored to the intended application and i would think the high visibilty frn would be a plus but im not fisherman so i really dont know just a thought...wait I think I see a good candidate for a sprint run! :D

Aaron :spyder:
come on everyone lets try and get Sal to bring back the Q!!!
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

One of these days I have to get a Harpy. I looked at one a while ago and was sold on ergos. Would be interesting to see what they come up with as an improvement over such a timeless design.

I like LONE WOLF's suggestions. If they did it within the $30-$70 range (don't know how they could with S30V) I would have to buy one.

If it's possible, I hope it happens. First I have to get a Harpy.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
JD Spydo

Practical/functional

Post by JD Spydo »

I just have to chime in at this point and respond to you last 2 guys. I totally agree with what both you said. One of you were talking about maybe making one with H-1 steel. The other fellow made mention of maybe coming up with a FRN version with S30V blade steel. That way it would have premium blade steel at an affordable price. This is something I mentioned on the Forum about a month or so ago. When they do get this new hawkbill designed they could easily just listen you great Forum members like yourselves and just simply make several models that the people ask for specifically. Just like the old G-10 Handled Harpy that I am been fortunate enough to find a couple of. Here they quit making it and now I am having at least 4 to 5 people a week wanting to trade me something for them. That's the biggest point to this thread. THE DEMAND IS THERE FOR SURE. Now let's get the Autocad programs going. ;) :spyder:
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

MOD are good folks who care about good people making it safely home at nite. I wouldn't call them second tier just because we prefer spydies.
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

I'd love to see a hawkbill with an index finger choil.

-Bryan
JD Spydo

A better word

Post by JD Spydo »

Michael Cook wrote:MOD are good folks who care about good people making it safely home at nite. I wouldn't call them second tier just because we prefer spydies.
Ok with that being said I guess the only way I can defend myself on that one is that I can easily say that Spyderco is much more of a "household name" than MOD. Maybe I did come off sounding as though I was deliberately trying to put down MOD. That really was not the thrust of what I was trying to get across. I guess I am just super disappointed that a company who is not necessarily know for Hawkbills has really for the time being taken the lead. I just wish that Spyderco would have been first in line with a Hawkbill of this caliber.

I must admit I have never owned a MOD knife/product at all. So Michael you are right in a sense that I probably worded it wrong. The whole objective in starting this thead tonight is that I am trying to get Spyderco to fill a void in the Hawkbill market. For instance I firmly believe that the Spyderhawk would still be in production if they had made that knife with a G-10 handle and a better lock. It was strictly frustration talking. I don't mean any particular "ill will" against the good men & women of the MOD company. In a way I guess congratulations are in order for them. That is one heck of a good looking knife the "Caracara". Go to the MOD website or buy the recent issue of Tactical knives and you will see what I mean. PEACE :) :spyder:
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

I too love hawkbills. If sal puts out an other pe hawkbill I'm automaticly going to be out a hundred bucks plus or minus.definately on board here. Truely wicked blade shape.
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
ErinMT

Post by ErinMT »

Hook me up with a 5" PE harpy with FRN/CF handles and either VG10 or H1 steel. :eek:

CPM is cool but it does add to the cost.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I Am Not Questioning Mod's Intention I Am Sure They Are Good People, I Just Was Dissapointed With The Knife, Which Is A Bummer Because It Looked Nice And Had Potential, Just Had Terrible Lock Up And Massive Blade Play, That I Can Not Live With. #9
JD Spydo

playing their hand

Post by JD Spydo »

WORKER#9 wrote:I Am Not Questioning Mod's Intention I Am Sure They Are Good People, I Just Was Dissapointed With The Knife, Which Is A Bummer Because It Looked Nice And Had Potential, Just Had Terrible Lock Up And Massive Blade Play, That I Can Not Live With. #9
You know Worker#9 I kind of believe that this new Hawkbill of theirs is a blade to where they have gone to great lengths to make this one a flagship blade. Just the CNC Titanium handle alone they are putting some serious money in. They appear to be doing what Spyderco has in the past done good and going a step further. This has got to be a wake up call of a high magnitude for the decision makers of the Spyder Factory. They could have and should have ( in my opinion) been the first one on the block with a Hawkbill of that caliber. Now MOD has without a doubt in my mind put their best foot forward with this "Caracara". In a way it is like I said earlier: This may be a blessing in disguise. Now if the Great Spyder Factory still wants to have a Hawkbill as one of their flagship blades they now must pull out all of their aces and play the hand very aggressively. I am hoping that they will indeed do that. Now though they have a more defined goal. ;) :spyder:
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

All I want to see is a Civilian in CPM-S30V, with Ti scales with Cf inserts just like the origional(sp) kraton ones.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha JDSpydo!

I wouldn't mind a CE Harpy or Spyderhawk. As mentioned earlier, maybe with a bit more of a relaxed curve...

No matter, the hawksbill is one of my faves as you know...BTW, is there a Doctor in this house? Where is Kurt? :confused:

God bless ya Joe...keep pushing! :)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Hannibal Lecter

I Am Here

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

DAYWALKER wrote:No matter, the hawksbill is one of my faves as you know...BTW, is there a Doctor in this house? Where is Kurt? :confused:
My apologies for my absence on this thread up to this point. I was very much preoccupied last evening with a six year old and a copy of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. For those interested, it was well worth the watch, by the way.
DAYWALKER wrote:I wouldn't mind a CE Harpy or Spyderhawk. As mentioned earlier, maybe with a bit more of a relaxed curve...
I agree about the more relaxed curve completely. Too severe and the curve becomes less useable for some purposes. CE would also be a nice option.
DAYWALKER wrote:God bless ya Joe...keep pushing! :)
He will, Chad. He will.

As will I. :D

My love of hawkbilled blades is no secret; I consider this particular blade design to be one of the most useful as both a combative blade, as well as one that is perfect as a rescue blade that might need deploying in short order with less risk of inadvertent injury.

To avoid the stigma attached to a purely MBC-blade design, why not market a new 3.5" hawkbill as a Search/Rescue knife? This blade design does lend itself to such things wonderfully and should lessen the likelihood of any possible negative criticism by law enforcement should it be necessary to use it for self-defense.

To be completely fair, I think this might be the best approach for such a new knife for maximum sale potential.

Thoughts?

---
Ta,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."

a little bit OT, but...

Post by 224477 »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:...Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. For those interested, it was well worth the watch, by the way....
btw. do you remeber the car, on the railroad, as the kids were in?
It was a czechoslovakian one, TATRA 603, used some 50 years ago by communist bosses to drive as their duty cars... Just because we used to have a lot of them here years ago..
thenick

Post by thenick »

anyway to get a scan of that page? :D
.:: TheNick ::.
JD Spydo

refinement & innovation

Post by JD Spydo »

I know that I feeding my own thread too much but this is one subject that should be on the "high priority" list. I want to add that a "Special Run" of Hawkbills with Carbon Fiber handles and this new highly prized blade steel ZDP-189. There would be 3 possibilities of Hawkbill models and areas you could "target market". The Fishing industry, The Law Enforcement arena. A special Hawkbill to accomodate the EMTs and first responders. But first things first we need one in S30V and a Ti handle ;) :spyder: