Golden made no choil knife - edge all the way to handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Golden made no choil knife - edge all the way to handle

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:08 am
Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:38 am
p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 pm

Polestar could really shine ( pun intended) if made in Golden with some cool steel.

I think the Polestar would profit already if the steel was "just" upgraded from BD1 to BD1N...
Yes it would, but I am not sure if the maker is willing to work with this steel....
Made in Golden or Taiwan, it would be a nice competition to PM2

It would certainly be my choice OVER the PM2 then... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:20 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:01 am

It would work just like the Centofante.
How it would work with the same Native 5 handle??? Front of N5 is different to Centofante, on Native there is that half circle for choil, Centofante front is different, you would need new handle for that knife
Yes, it is a compromise design with a tiny little bit of the ricasso/kick showing in the cut out and still giving about 1/2 inch more edge. Looking at one of my many Natives, it would work and would not look bad at all. It is just an idea to save Spyderco money on development and speed delivery.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I think the Tenacious LW (Resilience too) would make a fantastic Salt in LC200N! They are both very aesthetically pleasing designs, they just need to be made in Golden!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:04 pm
I think a comp lock would be next to impossible without a finger choil...
Actually, difficult, but achievable... :D

I have a design which Sal saw a while back. that has no choil at all.

The edge is almost at the "guard" part of the handle. :eek:

The design is nearly done, and I will make a couple for Eric's perusal at some stage. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:08 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:04 pm
I think a comp lock would be next to impossible without a finger choil...

The design is nearly done, and I will make a couple for Eric's perusal at some stage. :)
I´d really be interested to see your design! :rolleyes:

And: The Kapara actually is a comp. lock knife with almost no choil (at least not in the blade, and the handle part of the Kapara choil is solely there for ergonomic reasons and not mandatory due to a comp.lock, right?)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Caribbean is Comp lock / no choil; but it is a fairly tall handle.
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

I have asked time and again for more cutting edge. Especially in a 3” or under and hopefully no spyder hump.

I was so worked up for the brouwer until its blade had the cutting edge reduced so much.

I had over 40 spyderco knives, now I have 4. I am selling them for other brands. I have:

Titanium chaparral
Gayle Bradley 2
Lined g10 native 5
M390 titanium para2

I finally got to the point of acceptance. A 3” spyderco HAS to have a choil and sacrifice cutting edge and has to be very very tall. (Unless Gayle Bradley designs it)

I accepted that having a native means you own the sage, stretch, lil native, all of the bug knives, chaparral, manix, the list goes on...3” plastic handles and finger choil. The rest are for the better part redundant.

The 2 photos below line up handles for length and cutting edge for length.

Quite honestly the para 2 will be next to go and be replaced. I have accepted that chevy will not build a snowmobile and Ford will not build a helicopter and a Komodo Dragon cannot sing the star spangled banner, and spyderco knives have very very short cutting edges if they are 3” and under.
Attachments
B67485F2-5AF7-4AEC-818E-F7F6B11C403F.jpeg
4CD3A100-E2A1-48F6-A47D-295894BAACF1.jpeg
23D13576-72B6-4240-B667-3FF28481B0E1.jpeg
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny you show the 0470. I used mine at work on Monday and Tuesday, I'm so used to finger choils on my Spyderco knives that I actually went to choke up and grabbed the edge of the knife!! Thankfully I was wearing my cut protective gloves.

I actually took a pic a while back of my Military and the 0470 together, pretty amazing that the cutting edge was almost the same, yet the 0470 is a way smaller knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:08 pm

What is this, Stuart Ackerman casual bombshell?! :D
I am quite interested what you designed.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
archangel

Re: Golden made no choil knife

Post by archangel »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:19 am
I have an extremely strong preference for models with a usable 50/50 choil and a midlock, so zero interest here, regardless of lock type.

I'm with you, except I wouldn't say I'm extremely pro choil. I just happen to find it useful to be able to come really close to the cutting edge with my index finger. It just feels right. Nothing wrong with no-choil spydies per se.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Understanding the difficulty of designing a folding knife and how one can't just randomly pick a blade, lock, and handle and make it work.

Understanding that these tools need to be made for purposes and not individuals.

Can someone explain what taking the choil away and an extra 1/4 inch of blade would do to dramatically change a PM? Especially at the expense of safety for closing and handling?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:59 am
I think this model is missing from Golden made spydies.
Your thoughts?
Why is Golden important? Not judging, just curious.

Regardless, it looks like the Golden-built Siren is very close to what you want.

But, unlike the Taichung-built Caribbean, the Siren’s edge does show (in YouTube footage) a bit of ricasso/kick before reaching the handle.

I judge my Caribbean superb in just about every way, but two. And I suspect the Siren—she IS calling me—will be the same with one possible exception.

About the Caribbean, I can’t get my blade to drop (on pinching the compression lock) without having loosened the pivot and introduced a side-to-side blade-play that I detest. Beyond this problem is the other: I’m habituated to the Spyderco’s hallmark choils/notches for one-handed bite-free blade-closures. I close a PM2 without any worry; can’t say the same for my necessarily stiffish Caribbean.

The Siren, being a mid-lock, offers my favorite blade-closure but I worry there is not enough ricasso to break the fall of the closing blade. It’s telling that Eric got bit during that Blade Show video... I await reports from the field.

I suspect that the choil/notch-habituated among us will have to change their ways to enjoy completely what a well-built full-edge Spydie has to offer, wherever made.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Re: Golden made no choil knife

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:11 am
The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:19 am
I have an extremely strong preference for models with a usable 50/50 choil and a midlock, so zero interest here, regardless of lock type.

I'm with you, except I wouldn't say I'm extremely pro choil. I just happen to find it useful to be able to come really close to the cutting edge with my index finger. It just feels right. Nothing wrong with no-choil spydies per se.

I have zero interest in a no-choil knife if it doesn't also position the grip very close to the edge. Models like the Caribbean and Lil Temp 3 are the best of both worlds. Knives that have no choil but also have an inch of space between the grip and the edge make no sense at all to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Having more edge is different than having the edge come close to the handle.

Also the lock plays a big part in solving the question. Eg: Reave Integral Locks ( RIL ), Walker Linerlocks, Compression locks are not in the plane of the blade. They come in from the side. Back-Locks, Ball locks, are in the plane of the blade and design becomes critical, especially when trying to get more edge, or have the edge come closer to the handle.

How important is blade length / handle length?

sal
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

The more I use knives the more I understand and appreciate a sharpening choil. My puukko is much easier to sharpen thanks to it. The PM2 however has a tendency to snag the medium stone's box edge when I sharpen it, forcing me to put it on a cloth or elevate it somehow. One of the reasons why I didn't pick up the Caribbean, for example.
Plus, I think it'd hinder the way I sometimes hold the knife.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ThomC,

We don't like to put in sharpening choil in blade for a couple of reasons:

1) They tend to snag on certain materials like rope.
2) They tend to hook the TriAngle Sharpmaker.
3) It's easier to add one than it is to remove one.

sal
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:31 am

Why is Golden important? Not judging, just curious.

Regardless, it looks like the Golden-built Siren is very close to what you want.
Just because Golden is missing a model like this. With value line, you have Tenacious, Resilience and so on, in Taichung you have Caribbean, Sliverax, but nothing like it in a Golden line.

Siren is close, but not quite there. Like, it is very nice and I would like to own one, but I am not going to buy it.

If a Tenacious was made in Golden with Cru-Wear or something like that, it would blow everything out of water. But for now, I saving for Caribbean or something else that will come in next Reveal
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

navin johnson wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:02 am
Can someone explain what taking the choil away and an extra 1/4 inch of blade would do to dramatically change a PM? Especially at the expense of safety for closing and handling?
How would no choil make it more dangerous to close and/or handle a PM2? :confused: A PM2 isn't a backlock. Fingers are never in the way of the blade when it closes. I don't understand how it would be more dangerous to handle either.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:38 am
Polestar could really shine ( pun intended) if made in Golden with some cool steel.
I've been hoping for a Polestar with a compression lock for awhile. I looked at how close the blade comes to the spine when closed, and it's definitely far enough away that a comp lock would work well in the current configuration and still leave enough room for the cutout. As far as comp locks with no choil, there's the Caribbean at 3.70" blade and there was the Lil Temp 3 at 2.90". The Polestar would be perfect in the middle at 3.30". It fits the category of no choil, comp lock, mid size, and a leaf shape blade. Maybe that's too niche for the knife world? Maybe not? I do know that a polestar with a comp lock would be the perfect Spyderco for me :D . The ergonomics and size are superb, but it would be better if that big cutout for the liner lock wasn't there. That's really my only complaint about the current Polestar and why the comp lock would be great.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:47 am
Hi ThomC,

We don't like to put in sharpening choil in blade for a couple of reasons:

1) They tend to snag on certain materials like rope.
2) They tend to hook the TriAngle Sharpmaker.
3) It's easier to add one than it is to remove one.

sal
Actually I was refering to the beard (?) of the finger choil. I understand that they're not necessary on a pocket knife, but I like it on longer blades.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage