Call of the Siren.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sid137

Call of the Siren.

Post by sid137 »

Just landed. Kudos to Lance for a really impressive design, knife, and very cool Spydie-model name.

After getting her in hand, the Siren's size, ergos, and 3.6-in LC200N blade steel can handle a wide spectrum of EDC tasks - even tactical - well outside aquatic environments. Love it...

Pics here on my IG:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_E4O-IDwc9 ... _copy_link
Freediver

Re: Call of the Siren.

Post by Freediver »

Nice. I’ve been trying to stay strong and resist but I know I’m gonna end up folding and buying one.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Nice job on those pics sid137!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sid,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
sid137

Post by sid137 »

Freediver wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:56 am
Nice. I’ve been trying to stay strong and resist but I know I’m gonna end up folding and buying one.
Thanks - don’t hesitate on this one...
sid137

Post by sid137 »

Xplorer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:13 am
Really appreciate that...
sid137

Post by sid137 »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:04 pm
Hi Sid,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Whoa... Honored that you responded.

You’re a Legend - TY Sir!
KELORGO2

Post by KELORGO2 »

Hi, gang. Been away from the forum so long (posting, but have been here all the while lurking) that I had to re-register...

I just received my Siren in the mail and LOVE everything about the knife. The ergonomics and design are exactly what I was hoping for when my son pre-ordered it for me. Unfortunately, after opening it up 15-20 times the blade has begun binding after it opens about 45 degrees. By the time it is 90 degrees open I really have to fight the binding to open it the rest of the way, like to the point I feel safer opening it with two hands instead of my thumb in the Spydie hole. It binds while trying to shut the blade as well. If I hold the lock bar TOTALLY depressed there is no binding of the blade at the pivot upon opening or closing. If I let up any pressure at all on the lock bar the binding is there again. Appears as though there is excessive contact being made between the lock bar end and the back of the blade (not the right technical information, I know). This is a real bummer at best, especially after waiting so long to get the knife. My other Spydies are all FRN models, and they are VERY slick opening and closing.

I called Spyderco and the best they could do was to tell me to send it back under warranty. Knifecenter (where my son pre-ordered it for me) is back to pre-order status, so I'm not sure how long it would take me to make a return for a new one through them. We originally ordered the knife back in January, and I'd hate to have to do a several months wait again. To date, I only have a Salt FRN and a Delica FRN. They slicked up with use.

At the recommendation of somebody on the other Spyderco forum, I washed out the knife with water and it seemed to take care of the problem. However, when it dried the binding came right back. I washed it out again with water with the same results.

Is it normal for a G10 Spydie to be this tight, and do you think some type of oil between the lock bar and the blade tang pivot (wrong terms again, probably) is the way to go? Or, is this degree of binding indicating that something is out of spec between the lock bar and the blade. I think I already know the answer, but I really don't want to have to send her back to Golden...

Thanks for any suggestions and/or advice.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics Sid! Enjoy your Siren!
sid137

Post by sid137 »

Xplorer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:13 am
Didn’t realize who you were...

Congrats on the Siren Chad - and great job!!!
sid137

Post by sid137 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:38 am
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics Sid! Enjoy your Siren!
Really cool of you - thanks!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kelorgo2,

Welcome to our forum and I'm sorry for your difficulties.

The surest way to solve your issues is to send it to us. We will fix it or replace it. I can alert Charlynn and she can get it in and out quickly. We would like to get the knife back, either from you or from your vendor.

sal
LouisSeacamp

Post by LouisSeacamp »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:52 am
Hi Kelorgo2,

Welcome to our forum and I'm sorry for your difficulties.

The surest way to solve your issues is to send it to us. We will fix it or replace it. I can alert Charlynn and she can get it in and out quickly. We would like to get the knife back, either from you or from your vendor.

sal
Got a couple of pictures for you but I don't know if it's OK to put them on the forum.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Louis,

It depends on the pictures? We don't want to do anything illegal, immoral, unethical or political.

sal
KELORGO2

Post by KELORGO2 »

Hi, Sal.

I oiled the Siren with some Hoppe's at the point where the blade pivot meets the end of the lock bar. It took away the binding, so I'm going to keep it for now and try to wear in the parts. Do you recommend a different oil or grease? I was mostly concerned because I couldn't imagine that there would be so much friction without oil, but for now it seems OK. It's certainly not "Spydie flickable", but I don't open my knives that way anyway.

If you still recommend that I send the knife back, or if it starts binding again, I will certainly do that. Maybe the Siren just needs more lubrication than some other knives.

BTW, I LOVE the design and the steel. I've been following the knife as information was made available here through the prototype, release and now production phases. It just melts in the hand, is perfectly proportioned and man, it just wants to slice. Perfect!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 am
Hi Louis,
It depends on the pictures? We don't want to do anything illegal, immoral, unethical or political.
sal
It's always a gamble when someone says, "I've got some pictures for you". lol
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Received mine last Friday. Everything I hoped for and more. I am a skeptical person by nature. I've read all the reviews and let me say, they are all 100% on the mark! If there is any thing negative about this knife I can't seem to find it. Some folks take exception with certain types of locks but I remember what Mr. Glesser said in a post a while back. Look at the knife and try to envision what the creator was attempting to achieve.(probably did a crappy job of paraphrasing) Note: I understand folks are entitled to like or dislike things. Great job Lance, Chad, and of course Spyderco. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

I also followed the call and couldn't be happier with it, a real beauty! Question for those that have one though, is the show side scale cut flat at the blade end of yours? I didn't notice at first but it is on mine, aside from the asymmetry it is so evenly done it seems intended but I don't see it on any of the photos so now I'm curious.
371FC51B-5DBA-4F40-9BBF-1F4035B3B8DC.jpeg
6105B74C-F171-45E3-AA11-84E5CA7347C7.jpeg
DC6F55AC-04FF-4D2B-AAC7-EFD1F7F5648E.jpeg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DTPrime,

Doesn't look right to me. Call Charlynn in customer Service. I'll give her a "heads-up".

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

KELORGO2 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:34 pm
Hi, gang. Been away from the forum so long (posting, but have been here all the while lurking) that I had to re-register...

I just received my Siren in the mail and LOVE everything about the knife. The ergonomics and design are exactly what I was hoping for when my son pre-ordered it for me. Unfortunately, after opening it up 15-20 times the blade has begun binding after it opens about 45 degrees. By the time it is 90 degrees open I really have to fight the binding to open it the rest of the way, like to the point I feel safer opening it with two hands instead of my thumb in the Spydie hole. It binds while trying to shut the blade as well. If I hold the lock bar TOTALLY depressed there is no binding of the blade at the pivot upon opening or closing. If I let up any pressure at all on the lock bar the binding is there again. Appears as though there is excessive contact being made between the lock bar end and the back of the blade (not the right technical information, I know). This is a real bummer at best, especially after waiting so long to get the knife. My other Spydies are all FRN models, and they are VERY slick opening and closing.

I called Spyderco and the best they could do was to tell me to send it back under warranty. Knifecenter (where my son pre-ordered it for me) is back to pre-order status, so I'm not sure how long it would take me to make a return for a new one through them. We originally ordered the knife back in January, and I'd hate to have to do a several months wait again. To date, I only have a Salt FRN and a Delica FRN. They slicked up with use.

At the recommendation of somebody on the other Spyderco forum, I washed out the knife with water and it seemed to take care of the problem. However, when it dried the binding came right back. I washed it out again with water with the same results.

Is it normal for a G10 Spydie to be this tight, and do you think some type of oil between the lock bar and the blade tang pivot (wrong terms again, probably) is the way to go? Or, is this degree of binding indicating that something is out of spec between the lock bar and the blade. I think I already know the answer, but I really don't want to have to send her back to Golden...

Thanks for any suggestions and/or advice.

Literally oil it and enjoy. That simple.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra