What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:18 am
In fairness even in hand it looks different depending on the lighting. I'm looking forward to see how yours looks when it arrives. :)
I prefer the color of you Stretch 2... in fact, this is the Stretch 2 version I´d go for (color- and steelwise) if I´d get a Stretch 2 to accompany my "ones" once more (which might very well happen some day... :rolleyes: )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:15 am
bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:32 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:26 am
This knife has me falling in love with the g10 native all over again...might be the smoothest one I've ever owned. Definitely the first one I was able to flick open out of the box, and drops freely to 90 degrees when the lock is disengaged.

Very nice knife indeed!!

BUT:You and Rick (TkoK83Spy) resp. the pics of it you always post made me already strongly want to come back to the Manix... you won´t manage to do that with the Native too... :mad: ... ;) :p
They need to make us a Native "thin". :p I still love the Chap and I know it's a handle "showcase" knife but I want it in other steels to really take advantage of that beautifully thin blade stock. ;)

:p
Not a bad idea, but I´d still prefer the genuin Chap (in another steel for you!! ;) ).. virtually the same edge length as the Native, but in a not only thinner, but also shorter package that for me personally even has better ergos than the Native... (more stable in hand for some reason)
Oh don't get me wrong I'd love to see the Chap with different steels, but with it's original design intent and being produced @ the Taichung factory I don't think we're going to get it in the new trendy steels that get me irrationally keep buying knives I don't need. :p

I also agree for my personal taste I prefer the the Vtoku2 color, it's a bit more masculine IMO.
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:14 pm
I've officially lost my mind lol. I actually like the mismatched scales.

I do like the idea of mismatched scales. Even thought of dying just the clip side scale plus the front half of the backspacer of the ivory straight spine Stretch green or blue and leave the rest in the original color...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anycal

Post by anycal »

Wartstein wrote:

Not a bad idea, but I´d still prefer the genuin Chap (in another steel for you!! ;) ).. virtually the same edge length as the Native, but in a not only thinner, but also shorter package that for me personally even has better ergos than the Native... (more stable in hand for some reason)

But it is not. Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by virtually.

I feel like I need to start calling you out on these statements. You made few of these when it comes to tip strenght and blade lenght.

Not sure why it bothers me. On one hand you go full OCD when something is 1 or 2 mm off on paper. Other things you just brush off because it doesn't fit your narrative?

Peter
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:30 am
Wartstein wrote:

But it is not. Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by virtually.

I feel like I need to start calling you out on these statements. You made few of these when it comes to tip strenght and blade lenght.

Not sure why it bothers me. On one hand you go full OCD when something is 1 or 2 mm off on paper. Other things you just brush off because it doesn't fit your narrative?

Sure, go ahead and call me out! Discussing is what we´re here for, right? :)

But in this case I don´t know either why it bothers you:

- English is not my mother tongue, but I understand "virtually" as "almost" "very close to"
- Specs given by Spyderco: Edge Native: 61 mm (2,42"), edge Chap 60 mm (2.35") - for me "virtually" the same
- I also think I always made clear (though, I know (!) long winded sometimes): It is only a PARTICULAR "size class" in which every mm of edge length counts for me: The size class in which I personally begin to consider a folder to be my "main" EDC (Stretch, PM 2, Manix...).
- Native, Chap: Small, specialized "niche" knives for me anyway, 1 or 2 mm less or more don´t really bother me
- Endura, Millie, Chief: Big enough knives anyway, 1 or 2 mm more or less edge don´t bother me either

/ I think the "tip strength" discussion was about if the slight drop in the tip of the Endura strengthens the tip, right? Tbh: I think it is not easy to argue against this, since even Sal stated in some posts that this is the very PURPOSE of that "drop" (make the tip stronger)

/ And yes, edge length in a particular size class or even edge to closed length ratio generally might be a bit ""OCD" in my case. But hey, most of us have that in some areas, right (S 30V vs S35VN; clear CBBL tabs vs black ones; Golden vs Taichung FRN pattern... I could go on and on... :rolleyes: )
In my case a longer edge in my MAIN EDC IS actually more usefull (food prep on the road), still I like a compact package in the pocket...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for that photo Peter. Here I was looking at my Native LW just last night and think how small it seems compared to the Shaman/Manix that I've had a love affair with these past few months. Makes me realize how much smaller the Chap really is, as I was starting to think about picking up another one after selling mine last year...Native size is just fine as a small knife for me these days...Now I just have to get to carrying it!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:16 pm
Thanks for that photo Peter. Here I was looking at my Native LW just last night and think how small it seems compared to the Shaman/Manix that I've had a love affair with these past few months. Makes me realize how much smaller the Chap really is, as I was starting to think about picking up another one after selling mine last year...Native size is just fine as a small knife for me these days...Now I just have to get to carrying it!

I really liked my Native 5 LW and certainly would have kept it if there was no Chap FRN...
The Native LW is a great, lightweight ( IWB and general) carry, no doubt.

What has to be considered concerning the Chap vs Native though imho:

- Does one really need the thicker blade of the Native (I don´t), and if not: The thin Chap blade is most times better for the small knife tasks I personally encounter
- Does one get a full four finger grip on the Native handle behind the choil (I don´t): If not, both knives are held choked up most times anyway, and if that is the case I personally prefer the shorter and much slimmer package of the Chap in pocket, and the perfect choked up four finger grip it gives me.

That´s just me of course.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:57 am

Your English is fine. Rebuttal in a PM. No need to go on here.

In my pocket today,

Peter
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:57 am

Your English is fine. Rebuttal in a PM. No need to go on here.

In my pocket today,

Thanks, that´s certainly the best and a classy approach! :)

/ And I hope you enjoy the Siren! Can´t deny that I am a bit jealous... :rolleyes:
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

anycal wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:07 pm
In my pocket today,

Great pic! I think that knife is going on my short list.

Here’s my mighty and mini combo:

toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Steel for this week; CTS-XHP/K390/316L with just a hint of turquoise :spyder:

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Probably my all time favorite.... s90v, CF, Ti
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ looks sweet!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:56 pm
^^ looks sweet!
I like that cruwear military you posted! It’s one of my favorite platforms spyderco makes and this might be my all time favorite version of it. I haven’t carried a military Really since December of January. :eek:
It feels so good, feeling good again.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:29 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:56 pm
^^ looks sweet!
I like that cruwear military you posted! It’s one of my favorite platforms spyderco makes and this might be my all time favorite version of it. I haven’t carried a military Really since December of January. :eek:
It feels so good, feeling good again.
That CF/ti model looks fantastic. I won this Cruwear version on the ‘bay “by accident” and it turns out I really like the platform. I’m regretting not getting the rex45 version, and I hope there will be a K390 coming. The cruwear does not disappoint! I’m thinking about removing the dye and trying for a dark forest green.
JMM

Post by JMM »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Now THAT'S a nice combo! :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
selrahc

Post by selrahc »

PM2 helped replace a pressure relief device on top of a 115kV/12kV transformer.
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

800B8ACE-622A-4178-B0AC-D378EB84AA3B.jpeg
This 4V Manix 2. So far I’m liking it more than I expected.