Pink Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bradley

Pink Knives

Post by Bradley »

Are there any pink knives in the pipeline? My girlfriend just bought her first Spyderco and tried to dye it pink unsuccessfully, and she’s pretty bummed about it considering how excited she was. I’d hate for this first experience to turn her off to it. I’m aware the native exists (I bought my sister one) however my girlfriend works near the ocean and likes the idea of a rust resistant or rust proof knife. Thanks for the input :spyder:
VooDooChild

Re: Pink Knives

Post by VooDooChild »

Your best bet is to buy a pink native 5 lightweight, and a native 5 salt and swap the blades out. This will give your girlfriend a rustproof pink native 5 and you will have a yellow one with s30v that you could dye black if you wanted.

I mentioned in another thread a while back that I thought it would be cool if the pacific salt 2 and salt 2 would get a neon pink and black treatment. Or neon green also. But it probably wont happen.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

There was a thread recently about a desire for pink Delicas and Dragonflies. I seem to recall Sal was hip to the idea.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I would recommend the Jumpmaster 2 and dying the handle pink with Rit dye.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Robbob wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:45 pm
There was a thread recently about a desire for pink Delicas and Dragonflies. I seem to recall Sal was hip to the idea.
Yes, in fact I'm pretty sure he said he was planning to put the pink delica back into regular production. It'd be vg-10, so not totally rust-proof, but definitely an easy-to-maintain stainless steel.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

There are also some pink PM2s out there.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you do buy a Native Salt and a Native LW to do a blade swap, I think it is best to swap the spring and lock bar too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Thank you for the input everyone. My question to you now is, can you dye a yellow salt pink? Like JohnAPA suggested?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bradley wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:22 pm
Thank you for the input everyone. My question to you now is, can you dye a yellow salt pink? Like JohnAPA suggested?
You can dye yellow FRN pretty much any color. It will wear off over time, but it's an easy thing to repeat on a Salt knife.

Also, I cannot reccomend LC200N enough. It is a stupidly, ridiculously awesome steel. I love it!

Don't forget the Caribbean ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Bradley wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:22 pm
It might take trial and error since it's not a white handle. The yellow may come through and make a florescent orange color. As someone stated before a blade swap with a pink native would work better. You can always go from a lighter handle to something darker but using a lighter dye it's more likely to tint the handle with the base color.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The almost-white ivory straight spine Stretch should work great for dying into another color.
PM 2 size, awsome knife

In this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86358 you can see an original ivory colored as well as a green dyed SS Stretch
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Keep on the search. Good luck! I have 3 daughters (and a wife). I did manage to score a gently used pink Delica. Pink Squeaks are also still around.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

The Squeak isn't H1 or similar but it is readily available.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

A pink Spyderco folder would be a great companion to my Artus Flex fixed blade:

ImageImage

ImageImage