Some of my history...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DAYWALKER

Some of my history...

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL!

I found this map in a book of Edo in the 1600's. While looking around at the various Mon (Family crest) that belonged to the Daimyo, I noticed one that looked VERY familiar on the bottom of the map, along the coastline. Note that all of these Daimyo were given land to protect the Shogun's butt! :p

It is *my* Mon! ;)

I have always heard my grandma saying that we have Samurai blood, and that she remembers hearing stories about it when she was young, and seeing a sword that was handed down to her great grandfather. I too, have heard these "Samurai Stories" at gatherings and get togethers...Seeing it in a book on Samurai, well, that sorta clinched it! :D

I know, whoop-dee-doo...but this may explain my passion for edged weap...er, tools! I thought this was kinda neat, and wanted to share with the rest of my :spyder: Kazoku-desu! (Ohana, Family, etc...)

God bless and Oyasuminasai! :cool:
Attachments
mapmon.jpg
mapmon.jpg (19.33 KiB) Viewed 872 times
DSCF0857.JPG
DSCF0857.JPG (53.02 KiB) Viewed 845 times
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)

Post by 224477 »

Hey Daywalker,

it is a really old book! Take care about it well.

I got also a funny story to add:
My surname (you know it already) is not our family real one, when my grand grand grand father joined the army in the 1st WW he become listed under this name, since then we are using it like an ours, but it isnt our real one.
Sadly, nobody from my family doesnt know the real surname..
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Great find Chad!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Konban wa Daywalker sensei!

Ii desu ka?

Tyotto ukagaimasu ka? please check your pm

Great find on that book, you must walk around feeling 2ft taller right?

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

I envy you!!! I'm second generation Japanese in Canada and have not been able to find too much in heritage when it gets back to Japan - the Canadian side has been easy (the majority of my relatives are in Vancouver and area). My sister-in-law was on an exchange program more than a few years back, and her search when she was there (6 months) yielded almost nothing. Only that our name was "very old". She mentioned that the people she stayed with helped immeasurably in assisting despite the lack of results. Got to see a lot of Japan and learn a huge amount about the Japanese culture.

- gord
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I'd have to say that definatly ranks above getting new Star Wars toys. ;)
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

That's so cool I think. I love that kind of stuff and not just my own, I like to hear about other peoples heritages.
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Actually, learning about other cultures is very fascinating in it's own way. When I first started working for my present employer (I've been here over 12 years now), I had the opportunity to travel a lot. Up to that point, history and culture was not at the top of my list. One of my very first site trips was to Thailand (Bangkok) and what an eye opener for culture and history there!!! I was there with a site engineer and our cultural aid was taking us to visit some temples north of Bangkok. She mentioned that they weren't very old - only 1200 to 1500 years. Considering that Canada is only a couple of hundred years or so old....... :eek: That's what got my interest up. As I travelled more, that sort of became an interesting passtime whenever I went to a different site. Snoop a little and learn a bit about city I was in at that time, do a little touring if the opportunity presented itself. What a great way to pass time when you are alone on site! One of the things I hope with my two sons, is that they get a little of international travel experience - each culture has something to offer and I think we get a better appreciation of life.

- gord
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

It is always good to know where we come from. Very cool Chad!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Imagine Daywalker as Emperor of Japan...
Throne in Seki City...
Can I be your friend, Emperor Daywalker?...Just send a few knives my way...
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Chad,

If your ancestors could see the future, they'd brag that you're their guy. Way to make 'em proud!
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

WOW... now that's cool :cool:
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha my :spyder: Kazoku-desu!

Yeah, I thought it was kinda trippy. I also found one more thing in that book with my family crest in it. It was next to two others, but this time, my crest had some kinda "house looking thing" over it. :confused: Will post pics tomorrow. Had to do with some guy named Ito or something.

Hopefully, someone on my Japanese side has a lineage of some kind...

OBTW, zackerty, that was funny man! :D

Thombrogan: Hmmmmm, I dunno about that! They'd be questioning as to why my knife "folds"? Why wasn't the blade hammered, folded, hammered, folded...Where's the Hamon? I'd just show them the Lum FB...No, that wouldn't work because then they'd ask, "WHY don't you have one?!" LOL!

God bless and thanks for reading guys! :cool:

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

Found another one!

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL!

Found another page that showed my family's Mon. It's the one on the far left...I dunno why there is a "house" around it though :confused: Supposedly, we're guarding this dudes weapons and stuff...

Also, check out this kabuto (helmet)...VG10? AUS8? ATS55?... :p

God bless :cool:
Attachments
DSCF1210.JPG
DSCF1210.JPG (66.2 KiB) Viewed 744 times
Samuraimon.jpg
Samuraimon.jpg (56.65 KiB) Viewed 743 times

dialex

Post by dialex »

Aloha my friend. Thanks for the nice story. So it's not only Jur with "deep roots" in our forum ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.