Native 5 Liners/Washers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
afalcone

Native 5 Liners/Washers?

Post by afalcone »

Hi all,
I heard that in the G-10 version of the Native 5 they recently made the decision to get rid of the liners? This is news to me I suppose. Anyway, I'm wondering how that's going and what thoughts everyone has? Mostly I was going to buy one because I was under the impression the G-10 version of the knife had bronze washers. But if not then I'm wondering how exactly they're different than the LW versions if at all? Thanks in advance for your time.
afalcone

Re: Native 5 Liners/Washers?

Post by afalcone »

This is mostly regarding the new REX45 sprint runs to be honest.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The G10 REX45 sprint has bronze washers just like the other liner-less G10 N5s. My example of the REX45 G10 N5 is much smoother than my S30V N5 LW, and N5 Salt. I prefer the thread inserts for the clip screws on the liner-less G10 models over threading the clip screws into the liners on the older version. I think the switch to liner-less G10 was a big improvement.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Aside from the Native 5 LW models (which I like) the only linerless models I have are the 40th Anniversary & Fluted Titanium. The action on those are as good as any linered models I've had
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
afalcone

Post by afalcone »

So I think I'm missing something here. How do the G-10 models have washers but no liners?
NorthShoreBoiBoi

Post by NorthShoreBoiBoi »

The LW natives dont need washers due to the FRN basically having nylon washers built in. The G10 native have bronze washers to buffer the blade from either the g10 or the steel liner
afalcone

Post by afalcone »

How do y'all feel about it? Do the linerless G-10 models feel good the way they are or do you feel they lack something?
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I don't have another Native to compare it to, but the Rex 45 G-10 is very smooth. The blade drops nicely to 90° upon unlocking and flicks open nice and crisply. Overall very impressed with the build quality.
Last edited by bbturbodad on Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have no problems with the linerless g10 natives per se. I have the rex45 now, and I had the cruwear/smooth g10. But if you want to swap scales, your choices are pretty limited. Not sure anyone makes aftermarket micarta or terotuf scales for the linerless natives.

The rex45 native I have is very smooth. Much more so than the native salt was when I first got it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
NorthShoreBoiBoi

Post by NorthShoreBoiBoi »

I havent handled a linered g10 version, but between the LW and linerless its mainly just the feel of the material and handle texturing. The g10 feels heftier and maybe shifts the balance back a bit. I would assume having liners would move the balance back more and make it seem even beefier. The scales on the LW and g10 are the same width, so if the linered version has the same size scales it may be a little wider.

As for smoothness, the only the Native Salt gave me an issue. My most used native and by far the longest to break in for some reason
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

afalcone wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:54 pm
How do y'all feel about it? Do the linerless G-10 models feel good the way they are or do you feel they lack something?

If both the previous linered and the current linerless G10 Natives do have bronce washers, I don't see why they should feel differently in that regard:
In both cases on the "inside" of the washers is the blade, and just on the "outside" of the washers either metal or G10... that should make no real differences concerning the action of the blade...?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anycal

Post by anycal »

G10 vs FRN, other than the texture of the handles, they feel very similar when closed. There is a bigger balance difference is when they are open, as the G10 is heavier, and the G10 model has a metal back spacer.

I have couple of each, and like others noted, there is no difference in the action between them, washwers or the lack of.

I prefer the G10 model. I like the denser feel of this particular knife in the G10 configuration.
Peter
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

anycal wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:23 am
G10 vs FRN, other than the texture of the handles, they feel very similar when closed. There is a bigger balance difference is when they are open, as the G10 is heavier, and the G10 model has a metal back spacer.

I have couple of each, and like others noted, there is no difference in the action between them, washwers or the lack of.

I prefer the G10 model. I like the denser feel of this particular knife in the G10 configuration.
I'm pretty surprised to read that. I've found the lightweights to be significantly stiffer than the liner-less G10 with bronze washers. How much break in have your LWs had?
anycal

Post by anycal »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:22 pm
anycal wrote:

I'm pretty surprised to read that. I've found the lightweights to be significantly stiffer than the liner-less G10 with bronze washers. How much break in have your LWs had?
Although I am sure it works, I don't believe in break in. I have experienced all kinds of action levels, across all knifes, from all manufacturing facilities. If a knife is stiff or gritty, it will get at minimum pivot adjustment and/or a drop of oil. Next step is to completely take it appart.

That said, both my LW S110V and REX 45 came free droping on day one.

I guess the point of the highlighted comment was more to both version of Native, with or without bronze washers, broken in or adjusted, can be equally smooth.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

anycal wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:48 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:22 pm
anycal wrote:

Although I am sure it works, I don't believe in break in. I have experienced all kinds of action levels, across all knifes, from all manufacturing facilities. If a knife is stiff or gritty, it will get at minimum pivot adjustment and/or a drop of oil. Next step is to completely take it appart.

I guess the point of the highlighted comment was more to both version of Native, with or without bronze washers, broken in or adjusted, can be equally smooth.
Same here. My REX 45 N5 LW was noticeably stiffer than my other Natives LW. I loosened the pivot screws a 1/8 turn (at most) and a drop of Go Juice (oil) to the tang where the lock bar rides. It's now much better. IIRC my Maxamet Native 5 was the same when I first got it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

As an update to my previous post, I received a LW today and surprisingly the action is even smoother than it is on my G10 model. Neither have had any adjustments to the pivot although both have had a couple drops of oil added.

Comparing the 2 I like the weight and action of the LW better but the G10 feels better in hand. I'm not a big fan of the FRN that Golden uses, it feels plasticy and cheaper to me than the FRN from the other factories.
-Turbo
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

anycal wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:48 pm

Okay, what lube are you using? I've just tried two different lubes, after cleaning the internals with isopropyl alcohol each time before applying each lubricant. I tried loosing the pivot a bit off of finger tight. My N5 Salt is still much stiffer than my REX45 G10.
anycal

Post by anycal »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:17 pm
Okay, what lube are you using? I've just tried two different lubes, after cleaning the internals with isopropyl alcohol each time before applying each lubricant. I tried loosing the pivot a bit off of finger tight. My N5 Salt is still much stiffer than my REX45 G10.
BM blue.

At some point, maybe it is the knife. Something maybe off a bit, a burr in the plastic, or handle alignment.
Peter
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:53 pm
As an update to my previous post, I received a LW today and surprisingly the action is even smoother than it is on my G10 model. Neither have had any adjustments to the pivot although both have had a couple drops of oil added.

Comparing the 2 I like the weight and action of the LW better but the G10 feels better in hand. I'm not a big fan of the FRN that Golden uses, it feels plasticy and cheaper to me than the FRN from the other factories.
I took mine apart to dial it in better the other night. Alcohol wipes and a little lube, dialed in the pivot and it doesn't drop shut but is a lot less stiff upon opening now.

I hear ya on the FRN, I was hoping this knife would change my mind but...I just cant. I like my knives to have a little heft to them, and FRN just feels like slick plastic to me, like holding a cheap toy. I'm going to force myself to carry it one of these coming weeks, but I don't see it hanging around long.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:14 am
bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:53 pm

I took mine apart to dial it in better the other night. Alcohol wipes and a little lube, dialed in the pivot and it doesn't drop shut but is a lot less stiff upon opening now.

I hear ya on the FRN, I was hoping this knife would change my mind but...I just cant. I like my knives to have a little heft to them, and FRN just feels like slick plastic to me, like holding a cheap toy. I'm going to force myself to carry it one of these coming weeks, but I don't see it hanging around long.
Make sure you're pushing the lock all the way in, at first mine would only drop freely about 50% of the time...then I realized I wasn't always pushing the lock fully flush.
-Turbo