Civilian/Matriarch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Snacktime

Re: Civilian/Matriarch

Post by Snacktime »

My Matriarch is now daily carry, my wife took it. She wanted something aggressive due to an incident this last weekend.

Realistically hawksbill shape really cuts well just the fragile tip is the issue. Great for cutting one handed. Frn provides great traction. For a last ditch option I bought in. As you pull it cuts, great for erratic flailing.

For a woman, who would most likely be a forced or approached(by a drunk at work). I think a Matriarch to the balls is game changer.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's definitely a very intimidating knife. I'm known as the knife guy at work, and even some of my co-workers are weirded out by the Matriarch haha. Everyone thinks it's cool for sure as it is, but most are afraid to even handle it.

When my wife surprised me with it as an early Christmas gift, I was shocked by it and not nearly as fidgety with it as I am with any other new knife. It definitely has its place. I find myself carrying it more often these days when I have to go to the store or somewhere on the weekends. Not that I would EVER want to have to use it...but these days, you never know who you can run into. How desperate or hard up someone may be.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Sal, would I be correct in assuming the Matriarch is MBC-rated?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Curley,

No, But it's plenty strong for it's function.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks, Sal! I did some searching and found Mike Janich's post from quite a while back. I reckon it might sway a few folks on the fence today too.
Michael Janich wrote:
Thu May 17, 2012 10:14 am
When it comes to lock strength, hawkbills--to include the Matriarch2 and Civilian--are actually more forgiving than straight-bladed knives since they do not typically allow thrusting in the traditional sense. Even if you do penetrate point first, the pressure tends to be directed toward keeping the blade open and does not challenge the lock like a traditonal thrust with a straight blade.

Cutting with hawkbills is more efficient because the power of the cut is transferred all the way to the point. Again, the pressure of this action is biased toward keeping the blade open and does not stress the lock as much.

With all that said, I still prefer Enduras because they have matching trainers. And, speaking from years of experience with Enduras and thousands of hours of training with Endura trainers, they are extremely reliable.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Wedding anniversary is this Sunday so I told my wife what I wanted. A Matriarch 2 with the black blade & hardware is on it's way.