Home Protection and or CC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: Home Protection and or CC

Post by Evil D »

SkullBouncer wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:46 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:56 pm
You'll get a slew of suggestions. My advice is go out and try them before you buy, and remember that for CC you need something you'll be comfortable carrying everyday. That Desert Eagle may look awesome but do you see yourself carrying a large heavy gun everywhere?
In response to your post, I agree a Desert Eagle w/a scope is not a practical CCW. Never said it was. Personally I take mine into the Colorado Back Country and enjoy all its attributes with no one within miles.
Evil D wrote:
Be realistic and honest with yourself.
Always am. Always.
Evil D wrote:
Do your research on holsters and spare no expense...holster comfort is the difference between having it when you need it or being caught off guard so don't get cheap when it comes to buying a holster.

Personally, Glock, S&W, Sig are pretty much all I'm willing to carry apart from Ruger revolvers. Track record is important and they're among the best.
The rest I have no problems with. Thanks for your perspective --

-- SB / BRUCE

Hey I didn't even see your earlier Deagle comment so just making sure you didn't think that was a jab towards you, I just picked it because they're a good example of a big honkin gun that's probably not the best choice for concealed carry :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Thanks, David -- it's all good! :cool: :cool:
benben

Post by benben »

I’ve had friends, church members, and people in my softball circles who know I shoot ask me about buying their first handgun, I tell them not to worry or stress over it. It should be a fun, learning process, and by the time you actually buy it you should be very well informed!

For strictly home defense, I have to agree with Ankerson, can’t beat a 12 gauge shotgun! My dad used to say a $300 shotgun beats a $3000 handgun everyday of the week!

Second up would be a AR pistol or AR SBR, my next purchase will be a AR pistol in 300 Blackout just for HD!

As far as handguns someone said you’d get a lot of suggestions, with guns that’ll always be true! There’s so many excellent pistols out there, my preference is ALWAYS Glock and HK, never regretted buying anything from these two manufacturers!

For years if someone would ask me about buying one (1) pistol, I’ve always recommended a Glock 19, it’s just that handgun that does everything right, size, capacity, very concealable and right at home on the nightstand. They’re simple and they work!

Had a local shop that had a HK P30 9mm for $559 and a VP9 for $510 a couple of weeks back, I’m sure that’s not the case right now, but I’d spend the extra money on these over that Ruger and not bat an eye, but that’s me.

Good luck, enjoy the process, and let us know what you decide!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SkullBouncer wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:47 pm
BTW -- If you think a DE 'looks awesome', you should empty a clip in one.
THAT's the magic. ;)

-- BRUCE

I shot a few of the early ones myself, when they were .357 Magnum only then.

They had a few issues with durability early on, but got those worked out pretty quickly.

Once the .44 Magnum model came out they really had it down by then.

And the rest is history from there.

I liked the .44 Automag and .357 Automag better personally, but that's taking nothing away from the DE.

As far as the CC Handgun carry goes I would say handle and shoot as many different guns as you can and see what you like the best.

I used to carry a Walther PPK/s myself way back and it worked fine for me.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have fired a Desert Eagle in 44 mag. It was cool but nobody is gonna carry one. They weigh like 5 pounds when loaded. I would take one hunting but beyond that they are a novelty gun. I have fired a 500 S&W as well and I consider those X frames to be mostly novelty guns also but I would also take one of those hunting.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is really subjective. I will share my angle.

Rugers are usually good guns and priced well. I have a few that I like a lot.

The best gun for home protection is probably a shotgun and the best gun for CCW is something you are willing to carry. I know that I am not willing to conceal a double stack pistol. I value conceal-ability and ease of carry over most else. For this reason I carry a Ruger LCP in my front pocket most of the time that I carry.

Are you on a budget? I would buy a Mossberg 500 in some tactical flavor and then an LCP. If cash is tight you could get a Mossberg Maverick for $250 and the LCP for $200. For $450 you have one gun that is capable of handling anything and another gun that is small enough to always have with you.

My personal favorites for personal protection include the Ruger LCP, a Mossberg 590, a Ruger GP100 and a Ruger AR556. Yup, I like Rugers.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

benben wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:40 pm
Second up would be a AR pistol or AR SBR, my next purchase will be a AR pistol in 300 Blackout just for HD!

As far as handguns someone said you’d get a lot of suggestions, with guns that’ll always be true! There’s so many excellent pistols out there, my preference is ALWAYS Glock and HK, never regretted buying anything from these two manufacturers!
There's an argument to be made that running an AR-9 pistol and a Glock 17 or 19 gives you magazine interchangeability, which reduces cost (slightly) and reduces the chance to make a mistake in a high stress situation (probably also slightly but your mileage may vary).
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:12 am
If I were you SpydieGrill, I would buy a Gen 5 Glock 17.
How do you like the Gen 5?

Do you think it's worth upgrading for someone who has an earlier generation 17?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:58 am
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:12 am
If I were you SpydieGrill, I would buy a Gen 5 Glock 17.
How do you like the Gen 5?

Do you think it's worth upgrading for someone who has an earlier generation 17?
I really do Tom.
The front cocking serrations alone are very nice. Not to mention the best outta the box Glock trigger I've had.
Plus, I really like the grip too. Very nice indeed.
Not to mention the conventional rifling the barrel has too.

Btw, I polished up the factory connector, added a 4 pound spring, and polished the safety plunger. Trigger is pretty sweet now!
Heck man, its dam hard to go wrong with a new Glock :D
Plus, they're super affordable. I say absolutely go for it!!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

In the end, it probably boils down to personal preference and what you’re comfortable with using. There is a lot of good advice here, but I also agree with shooting several different models before making a final decision. I am by no means a firearm expert, but I know what I like and what I’m (somewhat) proficient with. FWIW, my daily carry is a Sig Sauer P238 (.380 ACP). I love everything about this gun—especially its size and the manual safety. I can easily hide it in my waistband and forget that it’s there. I’ve been thinking about getting a P938, which is basically the same as a P238, but in 9mm. I shot a number of Glocks when I was on the handgun team in college and they make a fine product too. For home protection, I keep a 9mm, a few shotguns, and a .22 handy. And maybe a few rifles. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

There are tons of great guns out there. For all kinds of applications. But like many here have wisely stated; what you like and what I like could be entirely different. I thoroughly enjoy my Rem 870 magnum for most applications, but even with an 18 inch barrel and a collapsible stock, it's too long for the narrow hallways and doorways in my house. My HD gun currently is a Glock 19 Gen 3 with a streamlight TLR-7 loaded with Winchester PDX +P hollowpoints. I also have the AR I built if need be, which is a good size and has a capacity advantage over the glock and the 870, but that sucker is loud and the muzzle flash from the compensator I'm running is pretty spectacular. Regardless, because i live in CA and lack proper training for it, I will not be sweeping the house and clearing rooms if i can avoid it. I will grab guns, hole up in a room with a locking/block-able door and stay there until I have to pull the trigger or the invader leaves.

All that to say, try out some guns if you can. Shoot as often as possible and get proficient with it. Confidence and proficiency are key when shooting defensively. Do that, get a good compact light on the gun for identifying targets and get out to the range.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Glock 19 is a great all-around handgun - it conceals well enough & works well as a home defense pistol. That said, the grip angle just does not point as well in my hand. Tried a Browning FNP & while it felt good in-hand, the muzzle flip (higher bore axis) made follow-up shots tougher. Was looking at the S&W M&P, but then stumbled on a deal for the CZ P-01. Feels good in-hand & shoots well for me. The only complaint I have is that it could use some trigger work & better night sights. Both will eventually get rectified. Prior to the quarantine I was looking at the Sig P365 XL, but money is now allocated elsewhere. Till then I have a Sig P225 that is accurate as **** & dead nuts reliable for me.

Whatever feels best in your hand & shoots well for you is my answer.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

It's best to go to the gun store and handle prospective candidates to see what feels good in the hand and that you feel comfortable handling and operating. As noted by many, if you have an opportunity to actually fire a prospective model before buying that's a great way to truly know what works best for you.

I'm a fan of Sig Sauer for semi-automatic pistols and Smith and Wesson or Ruger for revolvers. Ammunition wise, personally I like 9 mm or .40 caliber for semi-automatic pistols with .357 magnum for revolvers as you have the option of also using .38 special and .38 +P. Of course, a .44 magnum is nice to shoot once in a while.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!