Kirinite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Kirinite

Post by Doc Dan »

Has Spyderco ever made a knife with scales of this material? This stuff is interesting because it has to be highly polished, yet it is still grippy, even when wet. Pistol and revolver grips can be made from it for this reason. It comes in some very interesting patterns and colors, some of which admittedly are tacky, but many of which are beautiful and interesting.

I wonder if a Chaparral with this material would be a welcome thing?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Re: Kirinite

Post by GarageBoy »

The closest is the Chaparral in Raffir Noble - which is another acrylic based product

I can't get over the patterns they use for it - they all look kinda tacky to me
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sounds interesting. I had to look that up, but the description I found said it's "toughened acrylic with very thin colored strands of poly paper swirled through the mix.” It reminds me of raffir noble scales, and I found some very nice looking patterns.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

First I've ever heard of it, it's cool looking though, some of the samples I saw from google images remind me of the Fradon 4v Manix2 scales... neat-o-burrito!

Cheers,

John
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

That name sounds familiar. I seem to remember we played around with it about 10 years ago.

viewtopic.php?t=59980

sal
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

It looks like Sal beat me to it. Yes, Spyderco has used this material. I had a regular Manix 2 with these scales and a crack developed from the lanyard tube to the end of the scale, approximately 1/4" long.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C95GITD2/967
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

While the very first version of the first EDC Forums glow knife looked more like Moon Glow (which glows pretty bright), all the subsequent EDC Forums must have been the Kirinite version (which doesn't hold a glow as long). I think Moon Glow and Kirinite are pretty much the same from a material standpoint, just different glow materials. Kirinite is relatively soft and not super strong. You have to be careful when sanding/cutting it so you don't melt it.

I have some scale material made out of the glow Kirinite and Moon Glow, but since I lost my shop space a few years back, I haven't been able to do anything with them yet.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I just saw that Case is making Kirinite Glow In The Dark scales with colors.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It can be had in beautiful patterns imitating pearl, it can be black with silver flecks, multicolored, and just nice to look at. Some combinations can be gaudy. It’s got something for everyone I guess.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Besides a Chaparral, I bet a Roadie would be really nice in this stuff.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I bought a custom with this material in a very nice 4V knife. It didn't take me long to figure out I needed to rough up the scales for traction. I'm used to FRN, G10, Micarta etc. and Kirinite just didn't cut it in comparison. It looks great though. Perhaps if it had a pattern in it I might have felt different. A sure grip is essential for me and if I don't have it no matter how nice the knife is otherwise it gets put aside.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I found these. Case, Bark River, and others are using kirinite.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

It's an interesting material and it has its "features". There are many "interesting" materials and we're open to all of them......who knows?

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I ordered a Case with Kirinite to check it out.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I've also heard that Kirinite cracks relatively easily, which is its main downfall. I do really like it as a scale material though, on a knife that may not see a lot of beating it would be really nice.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve never read that. I’ve consistently read how durable it is and how it still has traction when damp, both from knife makers and users. Where did you read that? MooNglow can crack, but it is not Kirinite glow.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:26 am
I’ve never read that. I’ve consistently read how durable it is and how it still has traction when damp, both from knife makers and users. Where did you read that? MooNglow can crack, but it is not Kirinite glow.
I looked into it because I had heard it had some traction when wet. I considered using it on the very first prototype of the Waterway for that reason but I never got my hands on any to try out. I’d still be open to trying some.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:41 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:26 am
I looked into it because I had heard it had some traction when wet. I considered using it on the very first prototype of the Waterway for that reason but I never got my hands on any to try out. I’d still be open to trying some.
I haven’t gotten my little knife yet. All I know is that custom knife makers use it, Bark River, Case, and other knife making companies use it. It seems interesting.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Doc I've used it on 6 or so mules just to see if I liked it. I've found that even at high polish it has really good grip even when wet, but have no idea if blood or other nasties might change that. Haven't had any cracking or brittleness, but it does seem to scratch and haze with use; quick buff brings it right back though.

1,3 and 4 are Kirinite. I personally like the feel and some of the patterns, YMMV
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I've seen this offered on a number of Bark River fixed blades. The acrylics do get my attention but have always seemed a little bit bowling-ball-esque to me.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!