Home Protection and or CC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderGrill

Home Protection and or CC

Post by SpyderGrill »

Gun experts here? Im thinking of buying a new Ruger Security 9 , 15 +1 round, 4" barrel, jungle green or brown for around $350, for home defense and maybe CC. I know several months ago they were about $300 but Im willing to pay a little more now.

Im pretty sure I want a 9 MM. I have had a 44 magnum in the past and a 357, along with shotguns and rifles. .

For the money, does anyone recommend anything better?
wrdwrght

Re: Home Protection and or CC

Post by wrdwrght »

Don’t get hung up on brands. Google your candidate’s record of failure (but do recognize that complainers are louder).

9mm is good, not just because it has proven to be effective for self-defense against thugs, but because it is generally more available (if also subject to hoarding).

Hollow-point (“self defense”) ammo is meant to incapacitate a thug without over-penetrating and hurting innocents. Cheaper ball (practice) ammo can still do the needed damage, but do err on the side of higher muzzle velocity. And remember that shorter barrels reduce muzzle velocity.

Revolvers may or may not be more reliable than semi-autos.

Assume your choice will fail and practice practice practice clearing failures.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 am
For the money, does anyone recommend anything better?
"Better?" That's a pretty open ended question.

Rest assured, the Security 9 is a good pistol, and the price is fair. 9mm is probably the best all-around defensive cartridge today, and is also the most economical to shoot.

Handling a gun is a serious thing, and the price of failure is steep. Learn safety, practice safety, shoot a lot. That's the only way to become competent.

You mentioned concealed carry. Everybody's different in size, dress, environment, and their expectations for a concealed weapon will be different. The standard sized pistol like your looking at is easy to shoot and to learn on, but might not be pleasant to carry. I'm 5'11", 200 pounds, and live in sunny SoCal. I wouldn't carry that gun. But Ruger makes a compact model that is more concealable. Being a little smaller, the sight radius is shorter and there will be a bit more felt recoil. If the gun is just for the range and home defense, you might like the big one better. If you're going to conceal it, then the compact model might be a better choice.
Last edited by RustyIron on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

A single stack 9mm will conceal easier, but offer fewer rounds in the gun. Compromises. It is hard to beat an AR for home defense. (Everyone has their favorite brands for perhaps not entirely logical reasons. I prefer Rugers because they have never failed me, they are American made and generally cost less than others.)
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Ruger P 85 Mk II 9mm here for home defense. Have owned it since the early '90s, very reliable / no issues after all these years. Literally thousands of rounds through this little semi.
15+1 capacity, favorite ammo is Federal Hydra Shok 147 gr. HPs.... when I can find them.
Also Hornady ammo.

Aside from home defense, my 'baby' is an IMI Desert Eagle Mk IX .50AE Gas Op custom, (I'm on my third) ...Brushed chrome, Hogue synthetic rubber combat grips, 2x Leupold scope w/ Weaver scope mount rings. 6" barrel w/ polygonal rifling -- puts out just under a ton of muzzle energy. 7+1 Capacity. The Mk IX platform is convertible to .44 Mag, and .357 Mag within seconds.

Ammo used is Magnum Research 325 Gr. hollow points, as well Speer Gold Dot 350 Gr HPs. - Bench rest range is up to 200 yards accuracy.

Others owned, but this'll do for now. :)
Any other Desert Eagle owners / fans?
====================================================================

:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
Last edited by SkullBouncer on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

If I were you SpydieGrill, I would buy a Gen 5 Glock 17.
Very simple, and a very maintenance free, extremely tough pistol.
Pick it up, pull the trigger. No safety, but she will not fire unless you pull the trigger. They come with 3 magazines and different back straps to fit your hand.
Its hard to beat a Glock imo.
For a holster, if you want one, I would recommend the Desantis Speed Scabbard. Just a very good leather holster.
You would be set for life imo.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Here ya go SpyderGrill
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

You could always go the Sig Sauer route.
Extremely nice pistol in the P229 357 Sig.
Not as simplistic as the Glock, as she is a double and single action pistol, not to mention a hammer fired fired - as opposed to the Glock being a striker fired - no hammer. Nonetheless, the P229 is sweet pistol. And, more expensive than the Glock.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

And, if you wanna go the revolver route, I would suggest a Smith and Wesson. This is a Model 19-3 ( 1977 )
I absolutely love this ole gal. With most wheel guns, you can shoot either 38 special or 357 Magnum
This revolver will never ever leave my possession.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Can you actually put your hands on the gun and possibly fire it before you buy it? Probably the most important part of the decision honestly. It's not an option for everyone which is unfortunate.

If you have put your hands on it and it feels right then that's a good start. No one can tell you what feels right to you. Hopefully where ever you are ammo is available so you can shoot and practice with it before you decide to use it for any of your given purposes. With the current situation a lot of places are out of ammo. I would also recommend doing a hefty amount of research. Find anything you can about failures, recalls, and any safety issues. When you're tired of looking for more articles search a little more. Sig is going through a lawsuit right now for faulty pistols. Not bad mouthing Sig just the most recent one I heard of. I remember glock had teething issues with gen 4s a few years back. So it happens to everyone. Just don't feel rushed to buy a gun and make a hasty decision you might regret later.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:25 pm
...Can you actually put your hands on the gun and possibly fire it before you buy it? Probably the most important part of the decision honestly. It's not an option for everyone which is unfortunate. ... Just don't feel rushed to buy a gun and make a hasty decision you might regret later.
I agree wholeheartedly. Go to a store that allows try before you buy. Or as a part of your CCW classes. Get the skills down even if you never buy. You will learn a lot from a controlled explosion going off close to your flesh. Don't be more of a danger than the perp.

Two of the best suggestions are 12 gauge. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. You can find good deals that come with a short barrel and a bird barrel. A lot of different ammunition choices too. Something a pistol will not always give you. A very short learning curve that overcomes worries about practice, accuracy and reliable as all get out.

i second the motion to get out and practice until it becomes instinctive no matter what firearm you choose.

I have had pistols that got a lot of marketing hype and look good until they were fired in my hand. Then all that lightweight material did not resist the dynamic motion of the piece using so-called self defence ammunition that was also the latest-greatest and it was uncomfortable, even painful to shoot not to mention an accuracy joke.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mike Blue wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:55 pm
VashHash wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:25 pm
...Can you actually put your hands on the gun and possibly fire it before you buy it? Probably the most important part of the decision honestly. It's not an option for everyone which is unfortunate. ... Just don't feel rushed to buy a gun and make a hasty decision you might regret later.
I agree wholeheartedly. Go to a store that allows try before you buy. Or as a part of your CCW classes. Get the skills down even if you never buy. You will learn a lot from a controlled explosion going off close to your flesh. Don't be more of a danger than the perp.

Two of the best suggestions are 12 gauge. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. You can find good deals that come with a short barrel and a bird barrel. A lot of different ammunition choices too. Something a pistol will not always give you. A very short learning curve that overcomes worries about practice, accuracy and reliable as all get out.

i second the motion to get out and practice until it becomes instinctive no matter what firearm you choose.

I have had pistols that got a lot of marketing hype and look good until they were fired in my hand. Then all that lightweight material did not resist the dynamic motion of the piece using so-called self defence ammunition that was also the latest-greatest and it was uncomfortable, even painful to shoot not to mention an accuracy joke.
Just what is it you are referring to?
What pistols?
And, ccw class? Are you kidding?
The whole country is staying at home.
He or she would be taking a chance going anywhere to handle guns right now. That's just bad advice man.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

I'm supporting VashHash's recommendations. I have no obligation to choose any pistol. There are many and more than enough salespersons for them all. I suggested an alternative. It's up to the OP to decide on all these things.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

O.P. it's not rocket science lol.
And, a Glock or Sig, or whatever is gonna fit your hand decently well. Every pistol I've ever held fit my hand lol.
Maybe not to perfection, but you get the point.
So, with all that's going on in the world right now, if it were me.I would just call my lgs or an internet sales and buy one over the phone or computer. If you need something right now.
If not, then wait till all this dies down then go to the LGS, tange or wherever and put them in your hand and fire them if you can.
That's good advice. I just wouldnt do that right now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You'll get a slew of suggestions. My advice is go out and try them before you buy, and remember that for CC you need something you'll be comfortable carrying everyday. That Desert Eagle may look awesome but do you see yourself carrying a large heavy gun everywhere? Be realistic and honest with yourself. Do your research on holsters and spare no expense...holster comfort is the difference between having it when you need it or being caught off guard so don't get cheap when it comes to buying a holster.

Personally, Glock, S&W, Sig are pretty much all I'm willing to carry apart from Ruger revolvers. Track record is important and they're among the best.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd call your local police department and ask what their officers carry.

If you're ever involved in a self defense shooting, that lines up a great legal defense in case you're accused of excessive force. "I asked my local professionals what they would use to protect a citizen's home and person, and went with that."
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:56 pm
You'll get a slew of suggestions. My advice is go out and try them before you buy, and remember that for CC you need something you'll be comfortable carrying everyday. That Desert Eagle may look awesome but do you see yourself carrying a large heavy gun everywhere? Be realistic and honest with yourself. Do your research on holsters and spare no expense...holster comfort is the difference between having it when you need it or being caught off guard so don't get cheap when it comes to buying a holster.

Personally, Glock, S&W, Sig are pretty much all I'm willing to carry apart from Ruger revolvers. Track record is important and they're among the best.

Yes. If its gonna be a concealed carry as opposed to just being a gun to have at the house, then a whole lot more consideration needs to go into it. Especially holsters, like you say.
I was just really speaking for having a gun at the house in pinch.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

It's very hard to beat a 12 Guage Shotgun for home defense.

Get a good one like a Reminton 870 or Mossberg 500, a tactical model (Law Enforcement uses those) of either one with the shorter barrel and extended magazine would be best. Using the same models etc as they do will help in court just incase as was said. And they are much quicker to get on target than the hunting models with those long barrels. And MUCH easier to navigate inside also in the tighter spaces that are common.

Loaded with 00 buckshot it is a very effective home defense tool.

Also good to have some slugs on hand too.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Evil D wrote:
You'll get a slew of suggestions. My advice is go out and try them before you buy, and remember that for CC you need something you'll be comfortable carrying everyday. That Desert Eagle may look awesome but do you see yourself carrying a large heavy gun everywhere?
In response to your post, I agree a Desert Eagle w/a scope is not a practical CCW. Never said it was. Personally I take mine into the Colorado Back Country and enjoy all its attributes with no one within miles.
Evil D wrote:
Be realistic and honest with yourself.
Always am. Always.
Evil D wrote:
Do your research on holsters and spare no expense...holster comfort is the difference between having it when you need it or being caught off guard so don't get cheap when it comes to buying a holster.

The rest I have no problems with. Thanks for your perspective --

-- SB / BRUCE
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

BTW -- If you think a DE 'looks awesome', you should empty a clip in one.
THAT's the magic. ;)

-- BRUCE