Stingers?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Irish Lager

Stingers?

Post by Irish Lager »

This is kind of a dumb question i suppose, but has anyone come across or owned a stinger. Its a small plastic impact tool that is shaped like a "T" with a small crossbar at the center for your fingers to rest on. They usually sell for about $10. I recently purchased one at the wolverine knife collectors club show. I think its a pretty neat idea, and believe it will work well. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with one, and/or if anyone knew how well they worked.
Thanks,
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

KeithM

Post by KeithM »

I have one and so does my wife. But, I have no experience with it - thankfully. I got mine for about $7 at the local knife store.

James Keating, who designed it, has a website devoted to martial arts/self-defense. I don't have a link handy, but I think it's http://www.jamesakeating.com.

As you may know, Keating also collaborated on the Chinook I & II.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have had one for many years now. They work pretty good defensively. It's a hand held that will add power to the punch, specially if your a good puncher to begin with. The first thing I would do is lose the key ring.....there now... that feels better in the hand, slip it in an outer coat pocket, they are very light you won't know it is even there. The premise behind the stinger is when you are attacked by surprise, your opponent may get in several strikes before you have the ability to counter yourself, already drained of energy the stinger will assist you in gaining some of that lost power back with each strike...They do make a neck sheath for them but it is to hard to use if you need to access it fast... my wife carrys one as well... and I like them much better than other hand helds like Kubotans, Ninja Key chains, Flashlights, etc...as they are much lighter and easier to carry concealed. They're a terrific non-lethal self defense tool that won't hurt the hand with heavy strikes and punches...on the receiving end the blow which pin-point all the power per square inch over a small area are devastating and quite effective...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

Alright, sounds good. I was told by the a man at the show that it was a wise investment, and it seems so. Thanks for the help,
GS

BOK

Post by BOK »

I currently have three of them. I try to keep a few handy to give away as gifts.

I've carried one on my keychain for about 3 years now. No problem flying with it either.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Though you may be able to get them aboard a plane I wouldn't do that...the stinger is on the FBI List of weapons that airport security checking bags are trained to recognize. And you could be in for a hassel when it comes to the planes...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Dr. Snubnose is right on target with his comments! The Stinger is a very reassuring little defensive tool that can be used without years and years of martial arts training (there you go boys... all the hard training down the drain ...LOL :) ).
I've got mine from Szabo Laci, who also maintains a good web site. The Stinger is non lethal and easy to use. Let me warn you however. When things get really hot and you are forced to use it in a very serious situation....first check your egress options. A fight is no fun and you better leave this party if you can. If splitting is no option, go for the eyes of you opponent.
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

do they make one that looks a little less innapropriate?
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

I don't use one (I train with a mook jong, I really don't need one ;) ) but they are a decent idea for those who don't want to go through the time and effort of developing impact conditioned knuckles and wrists.
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Lone Wolf, I think you just might be able to explain a stinger away by saying it was your accupressure or reflexology massage tool....in that light...it looks more than appropriate...Doc

LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

umm, I dont mean it looks like a weapon.
BOK

Post by BOK »

Yes people have asked me before if its a kinky sex toy or something...who cares...

As mentioned above I just say its an accupressure tool.

Most people just laugh at it.
argyll

Post by argyll »

LONE WOLF wrote:do they make one that looks a little less innapropriate?

The clear ones have less of the appearence to which you so delicately refer. :D (Although I have read some amusing threads about making them look even more adult-oriented as a form of disguise.) I think the clear models also draw less attention in general. I carry one dangling off my briefcase with a kydex sheath from Mike Sastre (http://www.rivercitysheaths.com) and no one has ever given it a second look.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

I bought my stinger off of Mike at the WKCC show last week. I also purchased a kydex quick release sheath for my pacific salt. I am going to have him make one for my scorpius and i will order one for the stinger as well.
GS