Endela paradigm shift!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JustinB

Endela paradigm shift!

Post by JustinB »

Hello all, I got my new 2020 catalogue in today and while I was salivating over all the models I want to pick up when funds allow, one thing really caught my eye that I never thought would...

The Endela!

While the release of the Endela was welcomed for sure, and I did plan on trying one out at some point, it just seemed...boring?
It's just a smaller Endura right?

That's when I saw it in the catalogue, true to size. And wow, did it seem pretty perfect!

Now, I still love my Enduras, but due to their size, and the way I carry them I will always supplement with a smaller folder as well (ie a Chaparral, Dragonfly, etc) for smaller knife related tasks. But, the Endela seems to be in my personal sweet spot of blade size that works perfectly as a stand-alone carry knife.

Let's just say the Endela has been shortlisted for my next purchase as of today :D.
Now for a Wharncliffe Endela! And K390!

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Justin :spyder:
JuPaul

Re: Endela paradigm shift!

Post by JuPaul »

I'm waiting for the k390 sprint, but I definitely want to try one as well.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JustinB wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:50 pm
Hello all, I got my new 2020 catalogue in today and while I was salivating over all the models I want to pick up when funds allow, one thing really caught my eye that I never thought would...

The Endela!

Glad you opened your eyes to the Endela! :)

Here is a thread featuring a lot info and discussion about the Endela, on page 1 there are pics with a size comparison to the Endura:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83925

I still prefer the longer blade of the Endura, but really, really love to carry and use my Endela. Just some points why:

- For many tasks it has the perfect size and blade length (in fact it has both the akmost exact same handle and blade length as PM2 and Stretch 2)
- It has a very generous handle (more grip area on the actual hande than on the PM2 or Stretch 2 handle) that feels a bit more handfilling than the Endura handle (probably due to the "points" between the finger placements are mellowed out)
- It is a noticable slimmer carry than PM2 or Stretch 2
- It looks just perfectly balanced and "hamonic" (The Endura can look a bit long, the Delica a bit "skinny", though I love both (especially the Endura), don´t get me wrong!)
- AND :Well... it comes in ffg SE (Endura and Delica only in sabre grind SE), and that (SE) is certainly the version I would recommend...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:11 pm
JustinB wrote:

The Endela!

Glad you opened your eyes to the Endela! :)

Here is a thread featuring a lot info and discussion about the Endela, on page 1 there are pics with a size comparison to the Endura:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83925

I still prefer the longer blade of the Endura, but really, really love to carry and use my Endela. Just some points why:

- For many tasks it has the perfect size and blade length (in fact it has both the akmost exact same handle and blade length as PM2 and Stretch 2)
- It has a very generous handle (more grip area on the actual hande than on the PM2 or Stretch 2 handle) that feels a bit more handfilling than the Endura handle (probably due to the "points" between the finger placements are mellowed out)
- It is a noticable slimmer carry than PM2 or Stretch 2
- It looks just perfectly balanced and "hamonic" (The Endura can look a bit long, the Delica a bit "skinny", though I love both (especially the Endura), don´t get me wrong!)
- AND :Well... it comes in ffg SE (Endura and Delica only in sabre grind SE), and that (SE) is certainly the version I would recommend...

Thanks Wartstein! I will be going with the SE version. It seems like a great candidate to be my first full SE spydie
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JustinB wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JustinB wrote:
Thanks Wartstein! I will be going with the SE version. It seems like a great candidate to be my first full SE spydie

Great! Can´t wait till you report back how you like it (if you want) :)

Do you have a sharpmaker? I hope so, it makes touching up Spydercos SE really fun and easy...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JustinB,

That was the plan for the design. I carry one often, serrated. It is interesting to note that the small difference in size hits a target I aimed for. The Harrier 2 serves the same goal.

sal
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:25 pm
JustinB wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JustinB wrote:

Great! Can´t wait till you report back how you like it (if you want) :)

Do you have a sharpmaker? I hope so, it makes touching up Spydercos SE really fun and easy...

I do plan on doing a follow up on my experience with full SE after putting it to use for a bit. Good to know I can put the sharpmaker to good use for touchups too!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Funny how I don’t like that size range, but the Endela just feels awesome, and it wants to cut. PE and SE. I like them both. Perfect weight too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:54 pm
Funny how I don’t like that size range, but the Endela just feels awesome, and it wants to cut. PE and SE. I like them both. Perfect weight too.
You need a Harrier 2. Trust me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
rak2

Post by rak2 »

Endela supporter here. Have an Endura, several Delicas (and a couple of larger models) and find that the Endela is the best feel/fit for my not large hands. Waiting on some frn colors (purple) and perhaps some other steels to get (at least) a 2nd one.
rak2
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

rak2 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:20 pm
Endela supporter here. Have an Endura, several Delicas (and a couple of larger models) and find that the Endela is the best feel/fit for my not large hands. Waiting on some frn colors (purple) and perhaps some other steels to get (at least) a 2nd one.
rak2
The K390 version will be coming soon :D
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My only problem with the Endela is the Stretch. :-D

I wonder, does anyone have both?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 pm
My only problem with the Endela is the Stretch. :-D

I wonder, does anyone have both?
I do have both!
At the moment just several Stretch 1 and an Endela, but I also had two Stretch 2

As said, in length dimensions Endela and Stretch are virtually the same (handle, blade and edge length)
The Stretch 2 is wider though, both in pocket and in hand and a bit heavier...

I'd have a tough time if I had to decide between Endela and Stretch 2. Sure, the latter has the "magic Stretch ergos", but for me the Endela ergos are perfect too in a different way.
I'd probably take the Endela, but just cause I can get it in SE and not so the Stretch 2..

If I had to decide though between Stretch 1 and Endela: I think it would be the Stretch 1.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yes, the Endela just feels smaller and lighter, but not. It is a masterful design for the 3.5" size range.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Endela's the bomb! Especially with birthday present scales from my fiancé!

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:52 am

Beautiful scales there! From Suingab it looks like? He does great work
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:52 am

Man!! That's beautiful! Exactly what I want for one of my Stretch 1s... what kind of wood is that?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

They're from Andrej / Suingab alright. He does amazing work. Fit and finish is right up there with OEM. These are Ironwood.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Will be interested if a Salt version ever comes out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:07 am
Will be interested if a Salt version ever comes out.

Depends on how well the Endela sells: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85893&p=1396951&hil ... a#p1398623

I'd love to see an "Whatever" Salt in Endela size too...