Spyderco Rebrand Concept

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adsitdesign

Spyderco Rebrand Concept

Post by adsitdesign »

Hey guys!

I'm a recent graphic design graduate and for one of my branding classes we had to do full integrated brand campaigns. Naturally, I chose Spyderco! After making a post on Reddit, I was encouraged to post here. I would love to hear any feedback you all have! Here's a link to the rebrand:

https://www.adsit.design/#/spyderco/

Thank you so much!
sal

Re: Spyderco Rebrand Concept

Post by sal »

Hi Adsitdesign,

Welcome to our forum.

Very nicely done. Thanx for thinking of us. I'll forward your info to the Sales & Marketing Director.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Definitely a nice job! I realize it was just a school project but I prefer the original logo because it's appears more friendly to me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I love the boxes.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Very nice work! Obviously there are a lot of changes that would as you correctly labled, require a complete rebranding...I hope this goes somewhere though...

The changing of the "bug" I feel like will be the biggest hangup...it's on everything...
So it goes.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Nice work! I like how the line that comes through the body looks like an “S”. Obviously I prefer the more rounded original, as this instantly reminded me of Spyder Ski Apparel.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
sal

Post by sal »

When we first started using the "Bug". we needed a "cute" logo as our knives were suspect because they looked so strange and performed so well. Legality was also a question. The "Bug" was right at the time.

Years later when we were thinking of changing the name and the logo, we ultimately decided that to change midstream could be the death of a brand, which we'd see before.

So we are Spyderco and we have a cute logo.

sal
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:21 pm
I love the boxes.
Absolutely! I know I’m in the minority when I say this but I would pay a little more for a Spyderco if it came in a box like that!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:37 pm
When we first started using the "Bug". we needed a "cute" logo as our knives were suspect because they looked so strange and performed so well. Legality was also a question. The "Bug" was right at the time.

Years later when we were thinking of changing the name and the logo, we ultimately decided that to change midstream could be the death of a brand, which we'd see before.

So we are Spyderco and we have a cute logo.

sal
My comment on Reddit kind of echo'd this statement. The "cute" bug says family-friendly and approachable while still inspiring confidence. I find this take a bit "Tactical" for my liking. Although it's quite well done, I'm not sure it represents the Spyderco ethos as well.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The current look of the spider is what makes it memorable. It's a caricature of a spider in the same way that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck do not look like a real mouse or duck... which is why they're so recognizable everywhere. Changing to a "sleek" and "aggressive" spider that is anatomically correct is just cliché. Many other companies do that and are easily forgettable.

I think you'll probably learn that in your branding classes. A key aspect of branding is to differentiate your company, not blend in.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I like the box the way it is, that one would take up too much space. A foam insert wouldn't be bad, though.

As for the bug redesign, no thank you. I think they've got the logo nailed down. It doesn't need to be edgy, it performs.

The bug now, is like Larry Bird. Complete goof ball, but he'll wipe the court with you. I like that bug.

The proposed bug is like, "I will eat your young!". My daughter is not a fan of spiders(read: terrified), but she loves the Spyderco "bug". The proposed one would not fill her with joy, haha. It would probably get thrown into the air, very quickly.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I gotta say, I love the redesign.
As stated before, it's nicely done.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice work adsitdesign.

Also, welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This is a wonderful 'alternate universe' version, nice work!

I still like the bug a ton :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Looks very cool. Beautiful presentation on the boxes!

Still a huge fan of the cartoony bug we all know and love.
Justin :spyder:
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Every letter of Sal, Gail, and Eric's names are in the OP's logo design... Whether by design or serindipity, who knows?

I do prefer the Bug...but let us see what the Spyderlings have to say? :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey adsitdesign, welcome to the forum. That is some really first class design and marketing work. I like all of it. Thanks for sharing.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I like the box design.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

“Strong in hand, light in pocket” and “one purchase, lifetimes of use” are my favorites. I get the idea of “lifetimes” but it feels a little cumbersome. I kind of prefer a simpler “a lifetime of use”. Sorry, I know I know, everybody’s a critic. :rolleyes: :D
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I dig it. I like the font, the S in the logo, and the sharp angles..like a ....knife. I am 100% on board with those boxes. Very nice. I could see a sub brand of knives, like tactical knives(yojimbo) using this logo. Or automatics. Or otf knives that I wish Spyderco made.

Would have been cool to see the logo on a knife. The last pic of the persistence shows the classic logo.

Great work!