REX45 Para 3 Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Re: REX45 Para 3 Lightweight

Post by foofie »

Not sure how many people are sheltering-at-home? This may mean more people online ready to grab one as soon as it drops?
These seem to be going a bit faster than normal, for sure.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Yes, it seems the Natives stick around longer when they’re dropped at the same time.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Picked mine up locally yesterday!! My first Para 3 LW, no blade play and drop free action with good centering...

So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Has Blade HQ dropped yet? I have alerts set up on several of the big sites but haven't received anything yet.

Edit: Well, Blade HQ let me pay for it, I was able to add to cart from my wishlist and spend some money. We'll see.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:09 pm
Has Blade HQ dropped yet? I have alerts set up on several of the big sites but haven't received anything yet.

Edit: Well, Blade HQ let me pay for it, I was able to add to cart from my wishlist and spend some money. We'll see.
Shows as shipped as of this morning! Should be here by Monday.

For those who're still interested, BHQ shows the knife as "coming soon" but I was able to place my order by adding the knife directly from my wishlist to my cart.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:36 am
kennethsime wrote:

For those who're still interested, BHQ shows the knife as "coming soon" but I was able to place my order by adding the knife directly from my wishlist to my cart.
I tested this last night and it did let me add it to cart. I was waiting to see if they cancelled your order but checked again this morning and they removed the option to add to cart. Kicking myself for second guessing. Oh well.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

eRoc wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:43 am
kennethsime wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

I tested this last night and it did let me add it to cart. I was waiting to see if they cancelled your order but checked again this morning and they removed the option to add to cart. Kicking myself for second guessing. Oh well.
Pretty interesting to me how they're not for sale yet but they clearly have them in stock. I wonder what kind of strategizing goes into scheduling these releases. Like, are they waiting for the Natives to sell out first or something? Or maybe they shipped me a production sample to teach me a lesson not to go poking around. :p

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm sure they hope you'll end up buying more than just the one you originally hoped for. It would be smart for them to capitalize on FOMO.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:51 am
I'm sure they hope you'll end up buying more than just the one you originally hoped for. It would be smart for them to capitalize on FOMO.
Well they kind of got me on that one. Although I purchased from another vendor, I jumped on the Native 5 LW earlier this week because I wasn't sure I'd get one of the Para 3 LWs and I figured I could always sell it off if I did snag a Para 3. I think they're both gonna be keepers.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:01 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:51 am
Well they kind of got me on that one. Although I purchased from another vendor, I jumped on the Native 5 LW earlier this week because I wasn't sure I'd get one of the Para 3 LWs and I figured I could always sell it off if I did snag a Para 3. I think they're both gonna be keepers.
Right, at least you have TWO Spydercos at the end of it all, so it could be worse. :)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:14 pm
Right, at least you have TWO Spydercos at the end of it all, so it could be worse. :)
Right? I'll take that outcome any day. :-)

8-fingers

Post by 8-fingers »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 am
eRoc wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:43 am
kennethsime wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

Pretty interesting to me how they're not for sale yet but they clearly have them in stock. I wonder what kind of strategizing goes into scheduling these releases. Like, are they waiting for the Natives to sell out first or something? Or maybe they shipped me a production sample to teach me a lesson not to go poking around. :p
I encountered the same earlier last weekend and received my Rex45 Para 3 from BladeHQ yesterday after ordering from my Wishlist... I too ordered a Rex 45 Native 5 from another dealer (BladeOps) as I wasn't sure about its availability, and I keep checking my BladeHQ Wishlist to see if I can order the Rex 45 Manix LW, as apart form the Para3, it is the most desired for me.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

8-fingers wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:47 pm
I encountered the same earlier last weekend and received my Rex45 Para 3 from BladeHQ yesterday after ordering from my Wishlist... I too ordered a Rex 45 Native 5 from another dealer (BladeOps) as I wasn't sure about its availability, and I keep checking my BladeHQ Wishlist to see if I can order the Rex 45 Manix LW, as apart form the Para3, it is the most desired for me.
Yea BladeOps was my other vendor as well. Both from Utah!

One of these days I'll try the Manix LW. If I had more to play with r/n I might go for the Rex 45, part of me like the looks of the Maxamet grey a lot because I think it would take well to some RIT dye, and they come up on r/knife_swap now and again. If you get lucky let us know how it is!

hookandlateral

Post by hookandlateral »

BHQ wishlist to cart is working, just ordered mine.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

In stock at Knifecenter!
Trp2080

Post by Trp2080 »

in stock at Knives plus
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Christmas came early this weekend, got mine in from Blade HQ two days earlier than expected.

It's my first lightweight Para 3, the opening action is great but doesn't drop closed yet. Maybe just needs to break in. Just as comfy as my other Para 3s, and while the FRN pattern is very nice, the bi-directional texturing doesn't match my Seki knives quite as well as the Native 5 does. Minor gripe. I'm also not in love with how deep the knife sits with the stock clip, I almost wonder if I could replace it with a clip from the Manix 2 LW. Nice clip, just rides too deep.

I got the Native 5 also, and one question the comparison brings up for me is why the Para 3 can fly out so easy with a quick thumb flick and why it's so hard to obtain this with the Native 5. The back lock detent? My Stretch opens easier with the heavier blade, but not as smooth as my Paramilitaries.

All in all I think I'll be carrying this little guy more days than not.

JMM

Post by JMM »

:D

Joey

Post by Joey »

In stock at Cutlery Shoppe! You can find other CPM-Rex 45 sprints/exclusives as well.
hookandlateral

Post by hookandlateral »

I'm guessing everything is out of stock now, BladeHQ suspended my account and canceled my order :(