Are sprint runs too small?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Are sprint runs too small?

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:03 pm
Let me know if you have any questions?

sal
My only question is whether or not the guy from BentoBox Shop has asked Spyderco for an exclusive K390 Compression Lock Military 2 in Ranger Green G-10 yet! :D
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:06 am
Make Spyderco the only source for the initial purchase of any sprint run knives.
I suspect that retailers use the Sprints as an advertising tool to rope in future customers. For example, I recently bagged two Sprints from Smokey Mountain and from St. Cloud. I got what I want, had a good experience, and next time I'm looking for an off-the-shelf knife, I'll look to them first. So whether it's planned or serendipitous, carrying a few Sprints can help increase overall sales for a retailer. I could be totally wrong about this, but it makes sense to me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:

sal

Thanks for the explanation! I´d have two questions, if I may:

1.) It was new to me, that Spyderco may reproduce a run of an exclusive after a certain amount of time.
My question: Has this ever been the case?

2.) A certain sprint run is produced only one time in its exact particular configuration.
My question: To what degree would another, later sprint run of the same model have to differ from an already existing sprint run? Would rather minor changes (like just handle color for example) be different enough to make a new sprint run of the exact same model in the exact same steel?

Some random, theoretical examples, to explain what I mean:

- Existing sprint run: Endura, HAP 40, burnt orange handle
Would an Endura, Hap 40, but BRIGHT orange handle differ enough to justify a new sprint run?

- Existing sprint run: Shaman, Cruwear, brown Micarta
Would a Shaman, Cruwear, brown TeroTuff differ enough to justify another sprint run?
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I hope not (too) off topic, but honestly: I never understood why a knife is more desirable just because it is produced in a limited run...?

Sure, I maybe get the "thrill of the chase" and maybe the momentarily relief if one has something in hand of which they were uncertain to get it at all in the first place.

BUT: As soon as I actually own a sprint run it does not bother me or even makes me glad for others if every third other person owned it too.
For example I would enjoy my beloved HAP 40 Endura not less at all if I could spot it in the pockets of other people all the time...

So: Imho sprint runs should be made till everybody who wants one actually has one , even if this would mean a second run (and I know: technically that would not be a real sprint run anymore, but that would be totally fine with me)

Just my 2 Euro-cent of course... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:20 pm
sal wrote:

sal

1.) It was new to me, that Spyderco may reproduce a run of a dealer exclusive after a certain amount of time.

2.) A certain sprint run is produced only one time in its exact particular configuration.
My question: To what degree would another, later sprint run of the same model have to differ from an already existing sprint run? Would rather minor changes (like just handle color for example) be different enough to make a new sprint run of the exact same model in the exact same steel?

Would an Endura, Hap 40, but BRIGHT orange handle differ enough to justify a new sprint run?

Would a Shaman, Cruwear, brown TeroTuff differ enough to justify another sprint run?

May I ask: Anyone happens to know an answer to one or the other of my questions (see above)? Would appreciate it! :)
sal

Post by sal »

Wartstein wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

1.) It was new to me, that Spyderco may reproduce a run of an exclusive after a certain amount of time.

I can't remember if it's ever been done.

Yes, a handle color would work, but we will often change something else as well like the steel.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
sal wrote:

I can't remember if it's ever been done.

Thanks a lot Sal! Appreciate it! :)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:00 pm
I hope not (too) off topic, but honestly: I never understood why a knife is more desirable just because it is produced in a limited run...?

Sure, I maybe get the "thrill of the chase" and maybe the momentarily relief if one has something in hand of which they were uncertain to get it at all in the first place.

BUT: As soon as I actually own a sprint run it does not bother me or even makes me glad for others if every third other person owned it too.
For example I would enjoy my beloved HAP 40 Endura not less at all if I could spot it in the pockets of other people all the time...

So: Imho sprint runs should be made till everybody who wants one actually has one , even if this would mean a second run (and I know: technically that would not be a real sprint run anymore, but that would be totally fine with me)

I have had similar thoughts. Perhaps Spyderco can "promote" very popular Sprint runs into Limited runs which are much greater quantities, but still below a standard offering. I would imagine that there would be only a few Sprints to get upgraded to Limited status. The the progression, based on quantities, would look like this Flash Batch, Sprint Run, Limited Run, Production. Exclusives are dealer/distributor specific and not part of this.

Collectors would object, and flippers would complain the loudest, but users and fans would applaud, I think.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:00 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:00 pm

I have had similar thoughts. Perhaps Spyderco can "promote" very popular Sprint runs into Limited runs which are much greater quantities, but still below a standard offering. I would imagine that there would be only a few Sprints to get upgraded to Limited status. The the progression, based on quantities, would look like this Flash Batch, Sprint Run, Limited Run, Production. Exclusives are dealer/distributor specific and not part of this.

Collectors would object, and flippers would complain the loudest, but users and fans would applaud, I think.

Very well said!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I’m satisfied that my concerns about this topic are being addressed by Spyderco after reading sal’s comments. Namely larger numbers of the Sprint runs. The exclusives are what they are. I’m sure those selling exclusives have a good idea what their market is and those numbers are between them and Spyderco. I’m opposed to a Flash batch entirely unless it is a candidate for upgrade to a Sprint. I feel that is a sort of market manipulation. Never the less I won’t quarrel with someone about how they should run their business. I just won’t buy a Flash but would buy a Sprint if I am so inclined.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kodai,

Eric decided to try "Flash" batches on models that we don't think there is a big market for, but that the market that is there deserves to be served.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:47 pm
Hi Kodai,

Eric decided to try "Flash" batches on models that we don't think there is a big market for, but that the market that is there deserves to be served.

sal
While none of these have appealed to me strongly enough to purchase, I think they're pretty awesome!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
I think that the situation is not quite so simple. Some distinctions:

A Sprint run is a run made by Spyderco that is a remake of an earlier design, usually discontinued, that has been changed in some way to distinguish the run from earlier models. It might be a color change, a handle material change , a steel change or some other distinction. We generally use original tooling to make the model. We usually make 1200 pieces of a Sprint run. At this time, we are planning on making larger runs of Sprints to accommodate the larger current market. We usually make about 4 Sprints per year, and we've been making Sprints for decades. It affords the opportunity for someone to acquire a version of a Discontinued model that is no longer available.

sal
Yes. Just in reveal 4, the first 2020 reveal, there are at least ten sprints, all of which are current models. So, are the sprint parameters changing? Are there plans to do another Sprint of the Shaman in a premium handle material and premium stainless blade steel? There have been quite a few tool steel sprints and exclusives, but just the one S90V / Carbon Fiber sprint, which I missed out on. If not a sprint, can we get an upgraded stainless steel and G10 version of the Shaman as regular production, just like there are blurple G10 / S110V versions of most of the rest of the Golden lineup?

I'm glad to learn that dealers and distributors have a time limit to reorder exclusives, so they can't just do one run and then take that steel and handle color / material combination out of circulation forever.