1st spiderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: 1st spiderco

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:25 pm
Go back a page in the forum topics and check out the thread titled "The Best Bargain of the 21st Century." Hint...we're talking about the Manix 2 there. The native 5 is an excellent knife, and I do own a lightweight native, but imo the Manix is one of the best values in Spyderco's lineup, and there's not much it can't do. I own multiples.
Where is the Like button when I need one? :)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Native will be more the size of the Buck Ranger 112, but lighter, stronger, and easier to use and carry.

The Manix 2 will be half way between the Buck 110 and 112 in blade length. It is much lighter and stronger than the 110, which is a strong knife. It will be broader due to the wider blade, but cuts better.

I have 3 Manix 2’s and only 1 Native 5, if that tells you anything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

acer wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:07 pm
Hi Scott welcome and above all have fun. Food for thought STRETCH 2 . Make each day count.over and in . Out
Bentoboxshop.com has the stretch in clad hap40 steel for $132.

My 2 cents: native is smaller with decent ergos. Manix is bigger (big in the pocket as well as really big awesome blade) with exceptional ergonomics. The stretch is a great middle ground IMHO. The clad hap40 steel is tough and holds an edge for a good long time, and since it is clad in stainless steel you don't have to worry about the covered part of the blade rusting in the handle.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blendergasket wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:56 am
acer wrote:
Hi Scott welcome and above all have fun. Food for thought STRETCH 2 . Make each day count.over and in . Out

My 2 cents: native is smaller with decent ergos. Manix is bigger (big in the pocket as well as really big awesome blade) with exceptional ergonomics. The stretch is a great middle ground IMHO. The clad hap40 steel is tough and holds an edge for a good long time, and since it is clad in stainless steel you don't have to worry about the covered part of the blade rusting in the handle.

Man, that´s a steal! And this is the discontinued Stretch 1 (as opposed to Stretch 2), in HAP 40 for me personally perhaps the best pocket knife ever made.. and maybe it is "middle ground" in overall size, but it offers noticeable more usable edge than a Manix if that is something you are looking for
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:36 am
The Native will be more the size of the Buck Ranger 112, but lighter, stronger, and easier to use and carry.

The Manix 2 will be half way between the Buck 110 and 112 in blade length. It is much lighter and stronger than the 110, which is a strong knife. It will be broader due to the wider blade, but cuts better.

I have 3 Manix 2’s and only 1 Native 5, if that tells you anything.

OP, Doc is right here of course, but just a remark: Especially with Spydercos one often times has to distinguish between BLADE and EDGE length (cause of the fingerchoils in the blades).

So while the Native has about the same BLADE length as the Buck 112, it actually has a lot less cutting edge, if that is a concern of yours.
In cutting edge the Manix is closer to the Buck 112 than the Native.
And if you want something with the actual edge of your Buck 110, you´d have to go Manix XL or Endura...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

You can't go wrong with your choice.

I advise you to also invest in a Sharpmaker.
Perfect tool for pocket knives but also kitchen knives.

A pocket knife excels and is more fun when sharp.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome to the forum, Scott.

The Manix you mentioned is one I recommend to a lot of newcomers.
It's an easy to operate/maintain knife, available in many blade steels and materials, and has great ergonomics :)
(if you're in the market for lightweight knife, the Manix 2 LW is definitely a good choice as well)
The "hump" is something a lot of people have to get used to at first, and knives like the Manix, Chaparral, Native, Sage, etc.
don't have such a pronounced one which might be an upside for some.

At the end of the day, I'd say check out some of the other options and suggestions to make your choice.
There's a lot of variety in the line-up and every model has it's own pros and cons.
(besides, there's nothing with wrong with ending up owning a several Spydies :p )

Enjoy your stay!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'd echo the suggestion to invest in a Sharpmaker, or other sharpening tool of your choice. From the knives, you're considering I'd actually suggest to get the most affordable one and use the heck out of it. That, combined with the sharpening experience, will give you an important advantage when you're getting the next knife. Because there ain't such a thing as 'I'll just get one knife and I'm done". :D
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have to "third" the suggestion to get a Sharpmaker as your "second Spyderco" (unless you already have a system that works for you) - you won´t regret it!
As said, it works great for any knife, and also for Spydercos serrated edges, and that edge type is something you should really experience eventually imho...
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

ScottG72 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:42 pm

It looks like the Manix 2 gives a lot more bang the the buck but don't know.

I like the fact that the Manix 2 has a liner, a form of bearing (I do get that it is not a true bearing system, and G10 grips.

I like that the Native 5 comes in S35VN and prefer the locking mechanism, and weight. I also like that there are a lot less peices to go wrong.
(I am not sure how the plastic on metal will effect movement)
Hey, Scott.
It sounds like you've thought it through pretty well. Coincidentally, the two knives that are sitting atop my desk right now are a Manix 2 and a Native 5 LW. The Manix is definitely more bang for your buck. The size is better for me, I like the lock mechanism, and it's operation is smooth as silk. The Native 5 LW is a neat little knife that I bought for when I'm wearing nice clothes and need something minimalist. It still fits my hand well, but is about as small as I would ever want to go. There's more friction in the operation of the Native 5 LW, which is to be expected. Of the two you mentioned, I'd lean toward the Manix 2.

Since you requested possible alternatives, perhaps you'd like a Manix 2 LW. You get all the sweetness of the Manix 2, but the weight is only a half ounce more than the Native 5 LW. You get the best of both worlds.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:15 am
ScottG72 wrote:
Hey, Scott.
It sounds like you've thought it through pretty well. Coincidentally, the two knives that are sitting atop my desk right now are a Manix 2 and a Native 5 LW. The Manix is definitely more bang for your buck. The size is better for me, I like the lock mechanism, and it's operation is smooth as silk. The Native 5 LW is a neat little knife that I bought for when I'm wearing nice clothes and need something minimalist. It still fits my hand well, but is about as small as I would ever want to go. There's more friction in the operation of the Native 5 LW, which is to be expected. Of the two you mentioned, I'd lean toward the Manix 2.

Since you requested possible alternatives, perhaps you'd like a Manix 2 LW. You get all the sweetness of the Manix 2, but the weight is only a half ounce more than the Native 5 LW. You get the best of both worlds.
Scott, you can read my detailled thoughts in my previous post if you like to do so.

But generally imho Rusty Irons advice is a really good one!

The Manix 2 LW is a great folder to have.
Both in case you want to keep it to just one Spyderco (you might yet still think that this is possible, but... :D :D :D ) or as a first piece for a collection or a starting point to find out what YOU personally like the most over time...

It is really a great value, not too small, not too big, and feels very strong while still being light enough to not get annoying when carried in lets say lighter garment pants of a short or the like.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ScottG72 wrote:
I am stepping into a new class of knife and could use some advice. Until now, I have only purchased hunting knifes.
I am looking for a combination of EDC and protection.

I have done a little too much research (video's-artical's-blogs) and now have more information then I know what to do with.
Looked at handle materials, steels, locks, bearings, size and weight comparisons and more.

I was looking at Benchmade or Spiderco and am leaning towards the Spiderco. The problem now is the plethora of options Spiderco has.

I am leaning towards either the:
Native 5 lightweight (in S35VN) around $100
Or the Mantix 2 with G10 grips (in S30V) Around $120
This is the budget I am trying to hold to for my 1st EDC.

I am using a Buck 110 as a comparison for size and it fits pretty good in my hand and pocket, I have average size hands.

It looks like the Manix 2 gives a lot more bang the the buck but don't know.

I like the fact that the Manix 2 has a liner, a form of bearing (I do get that it is not a true bearing system, and G10 grips.

I like that the Native 5 comes in S35VN and prefer the locking mechanism, and weight. I also like that there are a lot less peices to go wrong.
(I am not sure how the plastic on metal will effect movement)

Please be gentle, I am just learning.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
My recommendation would be to get a Caribbean, if you can swing the cost. It's the best folder that Spyderco makes. Tough as nails, corrosion proof(close enough) and almost maintenance free. Here is mine after a full year of neglect.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85053&p=1366528&hil ... n#p1366528

In your price range, I'd go with the Baby Horn or Chaparral.
I would choose the Baby Horn over the Chap(and any other small models), but the Raffir Noble Chap is nothing to sneeze at.
blendergasket wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:56 am
acer wrote:

+$15 shipping in the U.S.

That turns it into a $150 knife(not that it's not worth it)

I can't recommend BBS. No returns, crazy shipping costs and (generally)high prices. I would only use them if they had something I HAD to have and couldn't get elsewhere.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

acer wrote:
You might also like the recent sprint version: the Straight Spine Stretch 2. It's a limited run, but still available. Very affordable, lightweight, and with a blade shape and length more like a Paramilitary 2. Lots of people have compared this to a lightweight Pm2 with a back lock. If you don't like the ivory color, you can RIT dye the scales whatever color you want.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-str ... sprint-run
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:39 am
acer wrote:
You might also like the recent sprint version: the Straight Spine Stretch 2. It's a limited run, but still available. Very affordable, lightweight, and with a blade shape and length more like a Paramilitary 2. Lots of people have compared this to a lightweight Pm2 with a back lock. If you don't like the ivory color, you can RIT dye the scales whatever color you want.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-str ... sprint-run
Honestly, the SS Stretch is a **** of a knife, and a **** of a 1st Spyderco to boot. You get a lot of history right there in that knife.

But OP seems more interested in the Manix or Native. OP, both are great knives by all accounts. The Native is smaller and uses a classic back lock, the Manix is larger and uses a Spyderco Caged Ball Bearing Lock - pretty cool way to open & close a knife!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

For edc both are good but...

The salt series is amazing. If you havent experienced what its like to have an almost zero maintenance, do everyrhing, beat on it, abuse it, put it away wet and dirty knife that keeps coming back for more... then the salt series can really change your mind on what a pocket knife is capable of.

I would recommend anything in the salt line up but there is already a native 5 salt so that would probably be perfect.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Scott, those are both great choices. I like my Buck 110 also but to be honest the Spyderco designs are worlds different when it comes to ergonomics and the naturalness of the feeling when in use. If you get a chance try the Endura, the smaller delica and the Stretch. I switched to the Endura from the 110 back in 92 and still carry one. The designs have been constantly tweaked since then and just keep getting better. I carry a newer one because of the newer steel choices but my original Endura is still very much intact and has only gotten smoother opening from the decades of use. I still have and even buy other brands but I'm never without an Endura. I'm so used to the design in my hands without trying I can get it out and open it faster than any of my autos. When around other people I have to deliberately slow my motions down so as not to alarm them. For me it's that natural of a design.

Joe
ScottG72

Post by ScottG72 »

I would like to thank you all for your input, it was invaluable and greatly appreciated.
Hopefully with time and education, at some point I will be able to aid another as you did me.
With all things considered, I choose a blend of what I was looking at originally,

The Spyderco (corrected spelling thank you) Manix 2 Midlock
In S30V linerless with a G10 handle.

- Originally I was concerned about the S30V vs the S35VN but you all laid that concern to rest.
- it has the Midlock similar to what I am used to and comfortable with
- It is linerless to aid with weight (at least a little)
- the size seems to be what I am looking for.
I carried my buck 110 in my pocket for 3 days to get a feel for it and went to my local Cabelas to get a feel for the actual knife. They did not have a Manix 2 on hand but did carry a Tenacious (the dimentions seemed comparable).

For my second knife, I will be picking up the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

We will see were we go from there.
NATIVE 5 (We will have to see)

Once again thank you all, this was the 1st forum that I have ever been on and you all made it an enjoyable/enlightening experience!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ScottG72 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:01 pm
I would like to thank you all for your input, it was invaluable and greatly appreciated.
Hopefully with time and education, at some point I will be able to aid another as you did me.
With all things considered, I choose a blend of what I was looking at originally,

The Spyderco (corrected spelling thank you) Manix 2 Midlock
In S30V linerless with a G10 handle.

- Originally I was concerned about the S30V vs the S35VN but you all laid that concern to rest.
- it has the Midlock similar to what I am used to and comfortable with
- It is linerless to aid with weight (at least a little)
- the size seems to be what I am looking for.
I carried my buck 110 in my pocket for 3 days to get a feel for it and went to my local Cabelas to get a feel for the actual knife. They did not have a Manix 2 on hand but did carry a Tenacious (the dimentions seemed comparable).

For my second knife, I will be picking up the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

We will see were we go from there.
NATIVE 5 (We will have to see)

Once again thank you all, this was the 1st forum that I have ever been on and you all made it an enjoyable/enlightening experience!

Hi Scott,

great choice! Among many other aspects also because the backlock Manix is discontinued, so who knows how long it will to be found anymore. And if you find out that this is "your" type of knife, you could add for example a Manix 2 LW for days of lighter carry and experience the CBB - lock. wire clip, CTS BD1N steel ... too :)

I´ve looked into the backlock Manix too for quite some time (backlock is my favorite, slightly before the CBBL) and still think about getting one. The main difference for me (other than the lock of course) is that is has a thicker blade than the "regular" Manix 2´s.
This can be a slight pro (a bit more robust tip for example) or a slight con (a tad less "slicey"' perhaps). Anyway, I think it is a real sturdy work-knife-beast, and, as you pointed out, still fairly light due to its linerless construction!
Though (but I am not a Manix-expert, so don´t quote me in this!) I think many of the G10 variants of the CBBL Manix are of about equal weight, due to their probably milled out liners (while the CBBL 30V "base" model has full liners and is a bit heavier)

Anyway and once more:
Great choice, be it as your one and only EDC knife or as a start into your "Spyderco-journey" - and tbh: I think it will be the latter and you´ll want to try more of their great knives.. ;) )

/ As for the Native 5 as your perhaps-next-Spydie:
Also a great knife, but in some ways rather similar to the backlock Manix in a smaller package (same lock, a bit similar blade shape, G10, spoon clip, same steel....)
So if you want kind of a smaller "Manix backlock": The G10 Native 5 would be a good option (though of course still different not only in size).
But if you want to experience something different in the Native size class: Maybe Sage 5 LW or Para 3 LW (I personally would prefer the former) ?! Or at least the LW version of the Native?

Enjoy your first Spydie, maybe you´ll report back how you like it! :)
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Easy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Manix 2 Ball Bearing Lock

Native 5 Back lock