The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
benben

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by benben »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:16 am
benben wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:03 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 am
benben wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm
Well, next to last......
C3202BC1-D9A0-41A5-9F73-B0FC0EF73364.jpeg
That's a nice lookin pistol. What make and model is she?
HK USP .40 Custom Combat with OD green frame and Jet Funnel magwell. I’m a huge Glock fan but I’ve been on a HK kick for a couple of years now. Having said what a Glock fan I am, these HK’s are definitely better built, higher quality pistols, especially the older USP series, they’re built like tanks!

Let the rock slinging begin! :D
My HK VP9 with talon grips is hands down my favorite handgun (the Walther PPQ 9mm being a close second). Guess my dad instilled a love of German guns in me from a young age - he was a big collector. My husband is a Glock guy, but I've never warmed up to them.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Glocks, I carry a Glock 26 EVERYDAY! And thinking real hard about picking up a 43X. Pretty sure my next two firearm purchases will be a HK P30L 9mm (hopefully, we’ve already talked about this here) and a Springfield Saint Victor 9” pistol in 300 Blackout.

But back to you not warming up to Glocks, I do believe that Glocks are the easiest pistol to learn to shoot for first time shooters and beginners, they’re simple and they just work! Add night sights, a gun belt and holster, ammo and you’re set!
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:22 am
benben wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
benben wrote:
Well, next to last......
HK USP .40 Custom Combat with OD green frame and Jet Funnel magwell. I’m a huge Glock fan but I’ve been on a HK kick for a couple of years now. Having said what a Glock fan I am, these HK’s are definitely better built, higher quality pistols, especially the older USP series, they’re built like tanks!

Wow. HK. Very nice!
Heck man, I like em all! Sig, Glock, CZ, Armalite, FN, Smith and Wesson, etc...etc...
Congratz again. That's really nice man.
You’re right, by sticking with good solid name brands, it’s really hard to get a “bad” firearm now, unless you happen by chance to get a lemon. Guns are like anything else.....cars, trucks, knives, guitars, appliances, etc. people love their already predetermined personal preferences!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

benben wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:07 am
JuPaul wrote:
benben wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

My HK VP9 with talon grips is hands down my favorite handgun (the Walther PPQ 9mm being a close second). Guess my dad instilled a love of German guns in me from a young age - he was a big collector. My husband is a Glock guy, but I've never warmed up to them.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Glocks, I carry a Glock 26 EVERYDAY! And thinking real hard about picking up a 43X. Pretty sure my next two firearm purchases will be a HK P30L 9mm (hopefully, we’ve already talked about this here) and a Springfield Saint Victor 9” pistol in 300 Blackout.

But back to you not warming up to Glocks, I do believe that Glocks are the easiest pistol to learn to shoot for first time shooters and beginners, they’re simple and they just work! Add night sights, a gun belt and holster, ammo and you’re set!
You may be right about that. They certainly aren't complicated. I'm sure my husband will teach our sons on his Glock eventually. But I learned on my dad's old High Standard HDM .22, so I don't have a great frame of reference. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
benben

Post by benben »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:14 am
benben wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
benben wrote:

You may be right about that. They certainly aren't complicated. I'm sure my husband will teach our sons on his Glock eventually. But I learned on my dad's old High Standard HDM .22, so I don't have a great frame of reference. ;)
Ha, that’s funny, I’ve got my dad’s old High Standard.22 revolver.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

benben wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:59 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:14 am
benben wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Ha, that’s funny, I’ve got my dad’s old High Standard.22 revolver.
We've got a Ruger Mark IV that we plink with now, but I keep the HDM for those sentimental reasons. It's a neat old gun.

- Julia

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JuPaul wrote:
benben wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
benben wrote:
Well, next to last......

Girl, you have fine taste. HK is one more great firearms company.
I remember having a HK MP5 Submachine gun, when working for the Police Dept. I was always a Sig Sauer man. I have Glocks too.
Always wanted an HK though
German pistols are the best imo......however, I have a very deep love for the American 1911 and its unparalleled trigger.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:54 am
2049EDE3-3ED0-4788-83F1-DC2D9F9FEB52.jpegHere’s another pic of this OD green frame, I’ve always despised colored frames and would have never considered a colored frame Glock, just didn’t look right (to me).

When this green frame USP became available, I fell in love with it, plus they’re rare!
That's more like it. I can tell she's definitely a USP.
That pistol will last ya for the rest of your life.
I would love to have a Mark 23 myself.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:03 pm
JuPaul wrote:
benben wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

I remember having a HK MP5 Submachine gun, when working for the Police Dept. I was always a Sig Sauer man. I have Glocks too.
German pistols are the best imo......however, I have a very deep love for the American 1911 and its unparalleled trigger.
1911, you say? :D

- Julia

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Excellent!!!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
benben

Post by benben »

JuPaul wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
benben wrote:

Oh you’re not playing are you? Come out both barrels a blazing!! Is this where I say uncle? :p
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
benben wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

I shot a MP5 several times probably 20 years ago, want an insane rush, very iconic weapon! Don’t know what your trigger preference is.....there’s some smoking good deals out there right now on P30’s (DA/SA & LEM) and the VP9 (striker fired). Just several years ago when every HK retailed for over a grand, I’ve seen those two I just mentioned in the low $500 range.
benben

Post by benben »

3F48FF7F-5E71-43D2-AD44-E8A75EF47B01.jpeg
Here’s both of my sub-compact (SK) HK’s together.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

benben wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:52 pm
3F48FF7F-5E71-43D2-AD44-E8A75EF47B01.jpegHere’s both of my sub-compact (SK) HK’s together.
I really like the look of those P30s...same grip style as the VP9, which I personally find more comfortable than the more boxy style grips.
- Julia

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JuPaul wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
benben wrote:

Daaaaang!!
If you weren't married and I weren't married, I'd pitch a tent in your yard :D
benben

Post by benben »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:39 pm
benben wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:52 pm
3F48FF7F-5E71-43D2-AD44-E8A75EF47B01.jpegHere’s both of my sub-compact (SK) HK’s together.
I really like the look of those P30s...same grip style as the VP9, which I personally find more comfortable than the more boxy style grips.
My P30 and P30sk are unbelievably comfortable, it never fails, when someone holds either of my P30’s for the first time they ALWAYS say “wow this pistol feels great!”......every time!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:42 pm
JuPaul wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Daaaaang!!
:p ;) I'm not a huge firearms collector, but I love to shoot, and I've held on to a few gems from my dad's collection that were either too beautiful, too cool, or too fun to part with.
- Julia

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:54 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:42 pm
JuPaul wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

Daaaaang!!
:p ;) I'm not a huge firearms collector, but I love to shoot, and I've held on to a few gems from my dad's collection that were either too beautiful, too cool, or too fun to part with.
Good for you :)
Have fun with and treasure them.
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:16 pm
benben wrote:
2049EDE3-3ED0-4788-83F1-DC2D9F9FEB52.jpegHere’s another pic of this OD green frame, I’ve always despised colored frames and would have never considered a colored frame Glock, just didn’t look right (to me).

When this green frame USP became available, I fell in love with it, plus they’re rare!
Never owned, or even shot a Mark 23 before, but I did get to handle and look one over two or three weeks ago. What a monster of a pistol, with a monster price tag! These are supposed to be super dialed in from the factory, laser accuracy! I'd love to have one as a collector, but a USP Expert in any caliber with a Jet Funnel magwell would be way more practical for my needs.....and a 9mm Expert is on my "to get" list! ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:06 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:16 pm
benben wrote:

Never owned, or even shot a Mark 23 before, but I did get to handle and look one over two or three weeks ago. What a monster of a pistol, with a monster price tag! These are supposed to be super dialed in from the factory, laser accuracy! I'd love to have one as a collector, but a USP Expert in any caliber with a Jet Funnel magwell would be way more practical for my needs.....and a 9mm Expert is on my "to get" list! ;)
Lol, your a lot better off with what you have imo.
MK23 is supposed to be really nice, but it's just too pricey imo.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I grew up with guns and knives from an early age. About 8 for knives and 10 for guns. However, this was late 40’s, early 50’s on homestead in the extreme northern Midwest. Had a lot of guns over the years. The last one I bought was a Taurus 6” SS .357mag. When I moved here to retire I gave my kids everything...except the .357. I sold it to a dealer. They live in N.J. and have no need for something to shoot bears with.