Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin blade stock?

Yes, I´d like to see a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s overall thinness (both blade stock and handle)
42%
Yes. I´d like to see a longer version of the Caparral while KEEPING it´s thin blade stock, but thicken the handle
20%
I´d like to see a blade as thin as the Chaparrals in another, longer (than the Chap) existing model (maybe specify WHICH model in a post)
18%
No, cause I am fundamentally not interested in longer blades
7%
No, I like longer blades but never that thin
5%
No, I don´t think such a thin blade would be robust enough in a longer knife
9%

Total votes: 173

Kels73

Re: Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Post by Kels73 »

I would like to see Spyderco release a folder with a long blade ground from thin stock. However, I would prefer a thicker handle. The thin handle of the Chaparral is perfect for its intended application as a small EDC folder. But for a long knife, I would like a handle with a bit more girth.
kennethsime

Re: Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Post by kennethsime »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:37 am
considering the performance aspects of opinel-thickness bladestock, I'd be down for a "Rather Large Chap".
My Opinel is what inspired me to start looking for thin & slicey Spydies.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kels73 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:46 am
I would like to see Spyderco release a folder with a long blade ground from thin stock. However, I would prefer a thicker handle. The thin handle of the Chaparral is perfect for its intended application as a small EDC folder. But for a long knife, I would like a handle with a bit more girth.

I hear you, and prior to actually using a Chap would have said the same.

But then I had both a Chap FRN and a Native 5 LW at the same time. While the Native felt better and more comfortable in hand when I just held the knives, totally contrary to what I expected in actual (harder) use the Chap felt more stable in hand (the Native tended to "roll" a bit more) - certainly that will vary from hand to hand, but for me personally a longer Chap handle (in a PM2 sized version) would be fine in the exact same thinness as the "small" Chap...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:30 pm
Kels73 wrote:

But then I had both a Chap FRN and a Native 5 LW at the same time. While the Native felt better and more comfortable in hand when I just held the knives, totally contrary to what I expected in actual (harder) use the Chap felt more stable in hand (the Native tended to "roll" a bit more) - certainly that will vary from hand to hand, but for me personally a longer Chap handle (in a PM2 sized version) would be fine in the exact same thinness as the "small" Chap...

As a general rule, I like larger knives to have handles with more girth. The reason is that I commonly use larger knives for heavier cutting tasks which require more force. I find that a handle with insufficient girth tends to roll and shift in my hand when used this way. A good example of this would be the Police 4. I loved my Police 4 for breaking down cardboard; however, when I attempted to perform heavy cutting tasks, it became very difficult for me to maintain a good grip.

Granted, I have an XL hand with long fingers. So a handle with girth that is "insufficient" for me might be perfect for someone else. That's probably why I prefer the Native 5 over the Chaparral for heavy cutting tasks. I love my Chaparral for EDC. However, if I'm on a hike, and I decide to do some woodcraft, I'd much rather have a Native 5. It is more stable in my hand when used in this application, and it is more comfortable.

Different strokes...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kels73 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:55 am
Wartstein wrote:
Kels73 wrote:

As a general rule, I like larger knives to have handles with more girth. The reason is that I commonly use larger knives for heavier cutting tasks which require more force. I find that a handle with insufficient girth tends to roll and shift in my hand when used this way. A good example of this would be the Police 4. I loved my Police 4 for breaking down cardboard; however, when I attempted to perform heavy cutting tasks, it became difficult for me to maintain a good grip to the point where it became a safety concern.

Granted, I have an XL hand with long fingers. So a handle with girth that is "insufficient" for me might be perfect for someone else. That's probably why I prefer the Native 5 over the Chaparral for heavy cutting tasks. I love my Chaparral for EDC. However, if I'm on a hike, and I decide to do some woodcraft, I'd much rather have a Native 5.

Different strokes...
Thanks for your reply!

It´s really funny how different "hand geometries" obviously can be, even within the roughly same hand size:
I too have L to XL hands, and as stated above just by their specs and even when just holding a Chap and a Native 5 LW I would have said exactly the same as you say:
Native 5 must be better/more comfortable in hand in "harder" use, for example woodcraft.

But when I actually tested the knives side by side in this very situation (whittling harder wood and so on), totally contrary to what I expected, the Native 5 (though it did ok, dont´t get me wrong!) "rolled and shifted" MORE in my hand than the Chap (both knives held choked up).
Don´t know why this is, but afterwards I found two vids on youtube where people experienced the same...

Maybe you´d like to do a side to side comparsion too of the Chap and the Native in woodwork? Would be very interested in your findings! :)

Though I have to mention: I tend to hold my Spydies not with the thumb on the ramp, but rather put to the side of the blade / on the opening hole, that might make a difference concerning stability in hand of different models.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:10 am
Kels73 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Kels73 wrote:

As a general rule, I like larger knives to have handles with more girth. The reason is that I commonly use larger knives for heavier cutting tasks which require more force. I find that a handle with insufficient girth tends to roll and shift in my hand when used this way. A good example of this would be the Police 4. I loved my Police 4 for breaking down cardboard; however, when I attempted to perform heavy cutting tasks, it became difficult for me to maintain a good grip to the point where it became a safety concern.

Granted, I have an XL hand with long fingers. So a handle with girth that is "insufficient" for me might be perfect for someone else. That's probably why I prefer the Native 5 over the Chaparral for heavy cutting tasks. I love my Chaparral for EDC. However, if I'm on a hike, and I decide to do some woodcraft, I'd much rather have a Native 5.

Different strokes...
Thanks for your reply!

It´s really funny how different "hand geometries" obviously can be, even within the roughly same hand size:
I too have L to XL hands, and as stated above just by their specs and even when just holding a Chap and a Native 5 LW I would have said exactly the same as you say:
Native 5 must be better/more comfortable in hand in "harder" use, for example woodcraft.

But when I actually tested the knives side by side in this very situation (whittling harder wood and so on), totally contrary to what I expected, the Native 5 (though it did ok, dont´t get me wrong!) "rolled and shifted" MORE in my hand than the Chap (both knives held choked up).
Don´t know why this is, but afterwards I found two vids on youtube where people experienced the same...

Maybe you´d like to do a side to side comparsion too of the Chap and the Native in woodwork? Would be very interested in your findings! :)

Though I have to mention: I tend to hold my Spydies not with the thumb on the ramp, but rather put to the side of the blade / on the opening hole, that might make a difference concerning stability in hand of different models.

Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience. I don't doubt your findings though. There are numerous factors which can cause two people to draw different conclusions.

There are additional reasons why I prefer a more substantial handle for heavy cutting. I find that larger handles with more girth are more comfortable and less fatiguing. They are more comfortable because they don't dig into my hand the way that thin handles do. And they are less fatiguing because my hand and forearm are not forced to maintain an unnaturally small grip.

This is why I appreciate the handle on my Opinel #9. It's also why my bushcraft knives have substantial handles.

I LOVE my Chaparral, but I only use it for light EDC tasks. I do not like it for heavy, sustained cutting. I find the handle uncomfortable and fatiguing when used that way. Consequently, I would love to see Spyderco produce a knife with a longer version of the Chaparral's blade, but I would like it to have a more substantial handle. Not huge...but it would need to be thicker in order to get on my wish list.

Again, different strokes for different folks. I can see why some might like an ultra-thin handle on a long knife. It certainly would disappear in the pocket.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

A PM2 sized Chap keeping the thin stock AND handles in either G10 or FRN would be killer! Make it in K390 and I'll buy multiples
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Justin :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JustinB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:38 am
A PM2 sized Chap keeping the thin stock AND handles in either G10 or FRN would be killer! Make it in K390 and I'll buy multiples
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
It would be indeed... :rolleyes:
And I am pretty sure it would sell rather well.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kels73 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
Kels73 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Different strokes...
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience. I don't doubt your findings though. There are numerous factors which can cause two people to draw different conclusions.

There are additional reasons why I prefer a more substantial handle for heavy cutting. I find that larger handles with more girth are more comfortable and less fatiguing. They are more comfortable because they don't dig into my hand the way that thin handles do. And they are less fatiguing because my hand and forearm are not forced to maintain an unnaturally small grip.

This is why I appreciate the handle on my Opinel #9. It's also why my bushcraft knives have substantial handles.

I LOVE my Chaparral, but I only use it for light EDC tasks. I do not like it for heavy, sustained cutting. I find the handle uncomfortable and fatiguing when used that way. Consequently, I would love to see Spyderco produce a knife with a longer version of the Chaparral's blade, but I would like it to have a more substantial handle. Not huge...but it would need to be thicker in order to get on my wish list.

Again, different strokes for different folks. I can see why some might like an ultra-thin handle on a long knife. It certainly would disappear in the pocket.

Firstly, to be clear once more; I think the Native 5 has really decent ergos for a small folder, no doubt!

The reason why the Chap feels more stable in my hand in heavy cutting than the Native might be: The finger groove on the handle is deeper on the Native than on the Chap (relatively to the depth of the choil) and just for my particular "hand geometry" that might give me a bit less support in that area

As a general rule you are certainly right that a more substantial, thicker handle offers more comfort, more control and is less fatiguing than a thinner one (Though, just a side note: There can be something as a TOO thick handle... (not on folders, and still very rarely on fixed blades): At a certain point of thickness there starts to be more strain on the forearm- (= finger) muscles again. But tbh thatś more relevant when it comes to dumbbells or pull up bars... ;) )
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:35 pm
Kels73 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
Kels73 wrote:

Different strokes...
Thanks for your reply!

Firstly, to be clear once more; I think the Native 5 has really decent ergos for a small folder, no doubt!

The reason why the Chap feels more stable in my hand in heavy cutting than the Native might be: The finger groove on the handle is deeper on the Native than on the Chap (relatively to the depth of the choil) and just for my particular "hand geometry" that might give me a bit less support in that area

As a general rule you are certainly right that a more substantial, thicker handle offers more comfort, more control and is less fatiguing than a thinner one (Though, just a side note: There can be something as a TOO thick handle... (not on folders, and still very rarely on fixed blades): At a certain point of thickness there starts to be more strain on the forearm- (= finger) muscles again. But tbh thatś more relevant when it comes to dumbbells or pull up bars... ;) )
Well said. As a side note, this conversation has caused me to realize that I want a Native Chief, lol. :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

These mile long quotes are very annoying. Have to scroll all day to get to the end.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:59 am
These mile long quotes are very annoying. Have to scroll all day to get to the end.

Sorry, man, you're totally right!
I hope you noticed that most times I do delete much or all of the previous quotes when replying, but sometimes when I'm in a hurry and on the phone I don't...
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

I voted yes for thin bladestock and handle. Would love to see the blade to be over 3.5 inches.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Danvp wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:33 pm
I voted yes for thin bladestock and handle. Would love to see the blade to be over 3.5 inches.

Chaparral XXL then... :D

Would be cool, but probably more and more risky for Spyderco: Such a very long blade in that thinness would be a great slicer and general EDC knife for people who know what to use a knife for (and what not...) - but some crazy "you tube hard use" guys would perhaps break it and that could be bad for Spydercos reputation in the times of the internet... :rolleyes:

That being said: I´d buy a (over) 3.5 " bladed Chap in a heartbeat...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 am
Sorry, man, you're totally right!

Sorry for the rant. Not just you, bro. Sometimes I’ll skip everything if it’s too long. I probably miss a lot, so it bugs me.

You do have me wanting to put my Chap in my pocket tomorrow, though. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Resurrecting a dead thread a bit, but I had the Chap in my pocket again today and man I am still blown away by this little gem.

Make an upsized Chaparral with 3-1/4" cutting edge. Keep the 0.079" stock, keep the ultra thin handles, keep the XHP steel and grey FRN. Keep it under 3 oz. Call it the Backpacker. Boom, perfect achieved. :cool:

For ME, that would make the ULTIMATE lightweight folder. I would buy MULTIPLES! Whether for hiking, climbing, general EDC, food prep, whatever! Couple that with the amazing Taichung quality would make a truly groundbreaking folding knife. There are examples of thin stock, thin handled, ultralight folders doing great in the market. Look at the Bugout!

Maybe it's all just a pipe dream, but ever since Wartstein made this thread I have been dreaming for this to be a thing. It needs to be a thing!
Please Sal? :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JustinB wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:18 pm
Resurrecting a dead thread a bit, but I had the Chap in my pocket again today and man I am still blown away by this little gem.

Make an upsized Chaparral with 3-1/4" cutting edge. Keep the 0.079" stock, keep the ultra thin handles, keep the XHP steel and grey FRN. Keep it under 3 oz. Call it the Backpacker. Boom, perfect achieved. :cool:

For ME, that would make the ULTIMATE lightweight folder. I would buy MULTIPLES! Whether for hiking, climbing, general EDC, food prep, whatever! Couple that with the amazing Taichung quality would make a truly groundbreaking folding knife. There are examples of thin stock, thin handled, ultralight folders doing great in the market. Look at the Bugout!

Maybe it's all just a pipe dream, but ever since Wartstein made this thread I have been dreaming for this to be a thing. It needs to be a thing!

I am not exactly sad that you "resurrected" "my" thread... ;) Thanks! :)

And I see things like you: Every time I use the Chap I am just so sure that a longer, PM 2 / Stretch... sized version of it would sell well enough. Of course I could be wrong, I have in no way the insight in the market that Spyderco has, but still: This would be such an efficient cutting machine for really the vast majority of EDC tasks and it would also be a dream to carry in the pocket.

Just in my experience it is the thinner, slicing oriented folders anyway that profit the most from a longer blade, while "hard use" folders are mostly used in tasks where a shorter to medium blade is sufficient (just my 2c of course)

And 2mm blade stock imho is not THAT thin, compare it to many kitchen knives that are actually a lot thinner and still strong enough for regular knife tasks (though they admittedly might feature cheaper, softer, thougher, more flexible... steel, don´t know)

I am not interested in the BM bugout (though it may very well be a great knife, don´t get me wrong!), but as far as I am aware of what makes the Chap or would make a larger version of it stand out: The overall thinness (in the pocket). That comes for the price of a bit more weight (not an issue at all though for me), cause I think you can´t make an FRN knife that thin without giving it liners. On the flipside that gives the Chap its amazingly solid and sturdy feeling in hand (one would not expect that when just looking at the knife)
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:57 pm
JustinB wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:18 pm

I am not exactly sad that you "resurrected" "my" thread... ;) Thanks! :)

And I see things like you: Every time I use the Chap I am just so sure that a longer, PM 2 / Stretch... sized version of it would sell well enough. Of course I could be wrong, I have in no way the insight in the market that Spyderco has, but still: This would be such an efficient cutting machine for really the vast majority of EDC tasks and it would also be a dream to carry in the pocket.

Just in my experience it is the thinner, slicing oriented folders anyway that profit the most from a longer blade, while "hard use" folders are mostly used in tasks where a shorter to medium blade is sufficient (just my 2c of course)

And 2mm blade stock imho is not THAT thin, compare it to many kitchen knives that are actually a lot thinner and still strong enough for regular knife tasks (though they admittedly might feature cheaper, softer, thougher, more flexible... steel, don´t know)

I am not interested in the BM bugout (though it may very well be a great knife, don´t get me wrong!), but as far as I am aware of what makes the Chap or would make a larger version of it stand out: The overall thinness (in the pocket). That comes for the price of a bit more weight (not an issue at all though for me), cause I think you can´t make an FRN knife that thin without giving it liners. On the flipside that gives the Chap its amazingly solid and sturdy feeling in hand (one would not expect that when just looking at the knife)

I thought you wouldn't mind Wart ;)

Very true about the kitchen knives, they are all made with super thin stock, and they are still durable enough to do "heavy duty" kitchen tasks. Sure, the average no name kitchen knives could be made of cheaper and softer steel, but there are lots of more high end kitchen knives that are made of harder steels with super aggressive edge geometry.

I don't own a Bugout myself either, I just think it is a good example of a lightweight, ultra thin folder doing great in the market (market trend perhaps?). I am absolutely in love with the Chap as well, and do appreciate the slight heft the stainless liners give, along with the vastly improved rigidity. Liners are absolutely necessary on such thin FRN handles, and hope that a Backpacker would have skeletonize liners.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 am
cycleguy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 am
Hi,

I didn't vote because I didn't like the choices among the of answers....

So probably not interested but would have to see the final product to be certain.

My .02,

CG
OP here, thanks for your input! Since I am still more of a newb here: Could you please tell me, which choice(s) you would have liked to see, so I can improve, should I do another poll in the future?
Or is it the choice you already mentioned "probably not interested but would have to see the final product to decide"?
Best regards, GM
I just voted yes. I would still need to hold it to know if I really wanted one or not. Seems to be a sound suggestion and others seem to be interested in this form of a folder. Ya' never know, maybe this will show up in a future reveal.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

are we not just describing the sage? it's the exact same profile in a "regular sized" package.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v