Para 3 K390 Ranger green from BBS!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

Re: Para 3 K390 Ranger green from BBS!

Post by JonLeBlanc »

bigboned wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:26 am
can someone tell me the real world difference with k390 vs cruwear? - i know nothing of k390 and cant seem to find reliable info that will let me compare so i dont know if i 'need' this
And also be somewhat more reactive.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

What I love about Cruwear is that I can sharpen it to an incredible edge very quickly and without being a sharpening guru.

K390 on the other hand is one of those steels you never seem to need to sharpen, so I can't say a lot about sharpening it.

Two of my favorites, but for entirely different reasons.

Cruwear isn't technically stainless, but seems to act like it is. K390 on the other hand is most definitely not stainless and you will need to take some effort to take care of it -- and/or let it develop a nice patina.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I found cruwear rusted just as easily as K390 for me. Neither are as bad as 1095 or O1, but cruwear is a far, far cry from a typical stainless steel here.

Agreed on sharpening. Cruwear sharpens fast and easy. While K390 takes a little more grinding due to th extra wear resistance, I find it sharpens pretty fast relative to the hardness and composition.

K390 is my favorite non-stainless for smaller knives, while Cruwear did not impress me. Cruwear performed a lot like 61 rc1095 with a little extra corrosion resistance for me, never understood the following it has here tbh.
:unicorn
Ric

Post by Ric »

Against my initial plan I ordered it.
It came yesterday. Perfect action, centering good. Grind seems not 100% perfect but that does not match to me.

My plan is to let it patina. I do not want to baby it after each use. Just wipe dry and that's it. No extra oiling.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I love this knife. My 4th one should get here Saturday. I like back ups of knives I really like. And back ups for my back ups if I end up REALLY liking it.

K390 in this small, sturdy package is hard not to love.
sok

Post by sok »

I think this knife is knife of the year for me. It has been a good battle between this one and the K390 PM2. The Para 3 was getting a little more carry time than the PM2 until I put a deep carry clip on the PM2. I will get a deep carry clip for the Para 3 and see how it goes.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:11 pm
I found cruwear rusted just as easily as K390 for me.
And there you have the other half of the story! I should have said, "most people find Cruwear virtually stainless" Vivi is well known to be a hard use case for testing the corrosion resistance of steels. ;) And there is no telling if he is the exception or the general rule, but many people have said that Cruwear does very well for them at resisting corrosion. Given that I live here in ridiculous low humidity, almost nothing rusts. My M4 blades all look pristine with no care whatsoever, Cruwear also looks pristine and I have never treated it or my M4 in any way. My K390 Police 4 has a faint golden brown patina, but in over a year, I don't think I have ever done anything to protect it. The Arizona climate could be luring me into danger though and I probably should do something someday.

I also don't generate much sweat and/or what my body does produce doesn't seem to aggressively attack my knives. Your mileage can vary, particularly if you carry IWB, which I essentially never do.

Don't follow my lazy example. Use vaseline, or tough glide or if you can find it, Bear grease.
sok

Post by sok »

sok wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:31 am
I don't normally like to quote my own posts, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread about someone using one of my pictures in an ebay listing. I was poking around ebay and saw this knife for sale. They used my pic. I guess I am flattered LOL.

And they want seventy five dollars more than BBS.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I'm not apt to be flattered by either a scammer or a picture thief. You may want to report the auction before someone loses their hard earned money.
sok

Post by sok »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:35 pm
I'm not apt to be flattered by either a scammer or a picture thief. You may want to report the auction before someone loses their hard earned money.
Hmm, I never thought about that. Do you think this person is a scammer or just too lazy to take their own pictures?
Edit*** They are claiming it is a numbered collectors item. They also have 100% positive feedback. I am a little naive to the ways of the Bay.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d do my best to make em take it down. But they probably wouldn’t, and it would ruin my outlook for a while...
sok

Post by sok »

I think I will sleep on it. I would hate to be an unwitting accomplice to someone getting ripped off. I see a report button on the listing page.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man, what a great knife. Since I picked it up in October it's been in my pocket 4 days out of 5. No issues with rust or patina here in California, just wipe it down after use if necessary.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sok

Post by sok »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:35 pm
Man, what a great knife. Since I picked it up in October it's been in my pocket 4 days out of 5. No issues with rust or patina here in California, just wipe it down after use if necessary.
Same here. I have used it pretty hard a few times and dulled it a little. I would just work it over on the Sharpmaker and it would be back to hair popping sharpness.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Where's these reviews fellas!? Lots of talk, no action ;)

Newer steel, lots of love but haven't seen anything about it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sok wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:42 pm
Same here. I have used it pretty hard a few times and dulled it a little. I would just work it over on the Sharpmaker and it would be back to hair popping sharpness.
Yup, pretty spectacular how quick the edge comes back for a knife that holds its edge so long.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:49 pm
Where's these reviews fellas!? Lots of talk, no action ;)

Newer steel, lots of love but haven't seen anything about it.
See above. Holds an edge real well, comes back nice and quick on the sharpmaker. No rust worries through winter here in California.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Visual evidence of use would be nice. Anybody can say anything. I could plaster the forum with 8cr being something incredible and any average Joe could believe it because so and so said it on a forum.

Just starting to get annoyed with so many people talking about how sharp, how great edge retention, amazing such and such steel is...when most of the time they just post pics of pristine knives. I get it, I clean mine up too. But nobody really shows any proof while using them. It's like a disservice to the community. People just piggyback off what they hear from this person and that person. We're really lacking those members with context these days and it sucks.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sok

Post by sok »

I double pinkie swear. Honest.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:51 pm
Visual evidence of use would be nice. Anybody can say anything. I could plaster the forum with 8cr being something incredible and any average Joe could believe it because so and so said it on a forum.

Just starting to get annoyed with so many people talking about how sharp, how great edge retention, amazing such and such steel is...when most of the time they just post pics of pristine knives. I get it, I clean mine up too. But nobody really shows any proof while using them. It's like a disservice to the community. People just piggyback off what they hear from this person and that person. We're really lacking those members with context these days and it sucks.
:rolleyes:
sok wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 pm
I double pinkie swear. Honest.
:D

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy, in all seriousness this knife has been in my pocket 4/5 days since I got it around October-November and I've touched it up twice; the first time in November when a friend knicked the blade, and the second time this month when I noticed it could be a little sharper. I don't have any "gore" pics but I'll try next time I break down an Amazon box.