The best pocket knife ever

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: The best pocket knife ever

Post by wrdwrght »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:05 am
elena86 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:23 am

The Urban Light Weight, in this case K390, is the best overall pocket knife ever. It carries light and easy. It is easy to live with and use everyday. It can be opened with one hand. It has superb steel. It slices like a surgical laser. What more could be asked?

I hope we see more Urban versions, but I also hope they fix the issues that cropped up last time.

Hey Doc, why don't we push for a CQI Urban ?! Maybe Sal is willing to solve that pivot issue ?
Good idea. If they fix the issue then on with more models. They also need to do something about the lack of QC coming out of that plant.
I’m in this choir.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Regarding the poster that carries no matter what... Carry laws and whether one is “bad” by breaking them is an interesting concept for me. The idea that some laws don’t truly define criminality has some legal basis. "crime malum in se" is an act that is inherently criminal; whereas a "crime malum prohibitum is more about breaking rules that have been applied by those in power that may reflect contemporary concerns.

Are you a criminal if you rob a store? Most definitely. But if you speed sometimes of carry a pocketknife with a 4” blade? I think not.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Matt Deaner wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 am
Regarding the poster that carries no matter what... Carry laws and whether one is “bad” by breaking them is an interesting concept for me. The idea that some laws don’t truly define criminality has some legal basis. "crime malum in se" is an act that is inherently criminal; whereas a "crime malum prohibitum is more about breaking rules that have been applied by those in power that may reflect contemporary concerns.

Are you a criminal if you rob a store? Most definitely. But if you speed sometimes or carry a pocketknife with a 4” blade? I think not.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Oops. Double post
sok

Post by sok »

Nice knife Doc, but the best pocket knife ever is the Para 3. Similar ergs as the Urban and you got the steel right but I need something a little beefier.

I didn’t see it coming either. I purchased my first one because of the DLC M4. I haven’t carried another model since. The K390 version is getting all the carry these days.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sok wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:53 am
Nice knife Doc, but the best pocket knife ever is the Para 3. Similar ergs as the Urban and you got the steel right but I need something a little beefier.

I didn’t see it coming either. I purchased my first one because of the DLC M4. I haven’t carried another model since. The K390 version is getting all the carry these days.
Shots fired! :p

I also carry the K390 Para 3 pretty much every day.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Does the Para 3 have more belly than a delica, or is it just the way the blade drops?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My first Para 3, in Rex 45, is still in it’s delivery box in my porch, under 24 hr quarantine.....
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Does the Para 3 have more belly than a delica, or is it just the way the blade drops?

I am pretty sure the Para 3 will have more belly
(at least than the WHARNIE Delica... ;) just kidding..)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:42 pm
Have you tried the AEB-L? And also, what's the "issue with Mangiano" ?
Only issue with mine is that it has the stiffest backspring I've ever seen in a non-rusted shut slipjoint. It's actually difficult to close, especially from the half-stop.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:11 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:49 am
If the UKpk came in K390, I'd say it's a strong contender for that title....
STRONGLY agree!! If the same quality as the HH exclusive. I have to say I strongly prefer that knife to any other slippie I've had, including a couple Urbans.
While I love my K390 Urban, if we get a G10, or better yet a Micarta, K390 UKPK it might just dethrone my Urban.

My Urban is the one knife I took the clip off, because it fits just so perfect in my pocket!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:00 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:11 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:49 am
If the UKpk came in K390, I'd say it's a strong contender for that title....
STRONGLY agree!! If the same quality as the HH exclusive. I have to say I strongly prefer that knife to any other slippie I've had, including a couple Urbans.
While I love my K390 Urban, if we get a G10, or better yet a Micarta, K390 UKPK it might just dethrone my Urban.

My Urban is the one knife I took the clip off, because it fits just so perfect in my pocket!
Now we're headed right up my alley!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

yowzer wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:44 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:42 pm
Have you tried the AEB-L? And also, what's the "issue with Mangiano" ?
Only issue with mine is that it has the stiffest backspring I've ever seen in a non-rusted shut slipjoint. It's actually difficult to close, especially from the half-stop.
My AEB-L has gotten like that. Even lubing does not help. It was okay at first.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:55 am
Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree, I prefer the Baby Horn as a pocket knife. The only advantage a slippie has, is legality in some places.

I don't pay attention to knife laws to begin with, so legality is a moot point for me. Same with guns, I carry one regardless of location or restrictions and everyone around me is safer for it.
(12vs6 rule)

Really though, the only slippies I'm interested in are a UKPK Salt(G10) and the PITS. I have had two of the latter, but they always seem to find a way out.
Yeah I know what you mean. I used to have a Burgundy Jess Horn ( 2005-2006 era) which had a ZDP-189 blade and it was one of the biggest regrets of all the knives I've traded over the years.

If they made a Jess Horn model in a larger scale with a supersteel blade I would jump on it.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I think the DF2 is the best pocketknife ever IMO. I will trade my pm2s for more dragonflies.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 pm
I think the DF2 is the best pocketknife ever IMO. I will trade my pm2s for more dragonflies.
I’m with you on loving the DF. I own eight or nine and will likely get more. Like we said in a thread last year, they are like popcorn. You can’t have only one.

Which one is your favorite? I have Frn and Nishijin, but my favorite is my G10.

The Urban is a different animal. It is a slip joint and is a bit larger.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I love the g10 one. Mine was stolen unfortunately. My favorite though is the pakka wood model. I've never owned one but would love to. I'd trade 2! Pm2s for it lol
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree, I prefer the Baby Horn as a pocket knife. The only advantage a slippie has, is legality in some places.

I don't pay attention to knife laws to begin with, so legality is a moot point for me. Same with guns, I carry one regardless of location or restrictions and everyone around me is safer for it.
(12vs6 rule)

Really though, the only slippies I'm interested in are a UKPK Salt(G10) and the PITS. I have had two of the latter, but they always seem to find a way out.
Baby Horn......All............day..............Long............ :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JohnAPA wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:46 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

(12vs6 rule)

Baby Horn......All............day..............Long............ :)
This guy knows what's up. ^^^
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:27 am
I love the g10 one. Mine was stolen unfortunately. My favorite though is the pakka wood model. I've never owned one but would love to. I'd trade 2! Pm2s for it lol
Sell one PM2 and you can buy a Pakkawood.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050