So, how are you staying busy during the lockdown?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knivesinedc

Re: So, how are you staying busy during the lockdown?

Post by Knivesinedc »

Eh. I live in CA. Friday I drove down to Los Angeles with a buddy and bought a truck. I am hospital security so like a lot of you, I am an essential role or whatever haha. I am glad to not be out of work though. When I'm not working at the hospital, I'm working on the truck. Detailing it, getting it up to snuff, etc. Organizing and rearranging furniture, sharpening knives, cooking, playing guitar. Average Joe kinda stuff.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PineyBoy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:55 pm
I'm one of the compromised old people. I can't do a **** of a lot with the jumping up and down crowd, but I''m still kicking. On oxygen 24/7 and all the other many med's. Lymphoma, 6 mos chemo and 30 days of radiation kind of did in my ability to run marithons, but how many do at 77? Life is a trial and some day you will also face the enevitable. I can only wish you the best.
I love your attitude "Pine Boy". I just turned 66 this past December but I feel as good as I did in my late 30s. My overall health is good but I've had a lot of joint ( knee, shoulder ect,.) replacements and 4 foot surgeries in the past 5 years. But your good attitude inspires me a lot and I thank you for the great input.

My late dear old redneck dad had a saying that he repeated a lot. He said "You Rust Out Quicker Than You Wear Out" and I've found that to be a profound truth. GOD didn't design us to be sedentary creatures. No he designed us to be active and industrious.

Just looking at Sal Glesser's super success story continues to inspire me and give me a lot of hope for the future no matter what is around the corner. Being depressed and feeling sorry for myself is an option that I just flat refuse to indulge in. I treat every day like it's a gift from heaven and I try to do the best with each passing day. I also try to be a blessing to others as well. You do reap what you sow like the Bible says>> so for God's sake do sow good seeds when the opportunity presents itself :)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Last year, I had to take 7 straight months off of work to care for my elderly mother full-time, only able to leave for brief periods to take care of essential chores (shopping, banking, etc.). My mom passed away in December, and I thought I would begin recovering financially this year. And then this. But OTOH, with CA on lockdown and we’re only supposed to go out for essential reasons, it’s not much different for me now than last year, except now I have only myself to care for. Life is weird sometimes.

I really don’t get bored or depressed at all. When I was younger, from my teens into my late 30s/early 40s, I dealt with depression. But eventually I overcame it, without therapy or medications. I’m not saying that’s the right way for everybody who deals with depression, but it worked out that way for me. I’ll be 57 this year. All of this stuff going on now will not depress me or make me feel sorry for myself. Nor will I become panicky.

I’m out of work, and don’t even know if there will be a place to go back to work whenever this is over. But I’m still not depressed. Of course, I’m not happy about it at all. But this is something that will be remembered in history. We will look back on this time and say, “How did I (we) deal with it?” Did I panic? Whine about my situation? Or do what I can and be as kind as I can, and maintain my dignity and civility?

I keep myself active both physically and mentally. It is essential to continue to keep on growing by keeping mentally stimulated as well as physically active, especially as one starts getting older. I still have some online meetings with a great learning and support group I belong to, and a class coming up over Skype.

Something I started believing and mentally telling myself many years ago, whenever faced with a crisis in life, is “This, too, shall pass.”

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm not much of a prepper or survivalist, but I try hard. I create prepper documentation for self consumption, and have been doing it all day every day since 2015.

I hate to say it but from the time I get up, until the time I go to bed, I scrape news stories and watch YouTube videos on the coronavirus. I'm building a huge database of knowledge that I can look at years from now as it happened. I've done the same thing for other events like ebola outbreaks.

I may as well. I'm living through this, and it may kill me yet. I typically scrape dozens if not a solid 100 stories a day, along with related data(Scientific research in the form of PDFs and web pages). I try to nail down the full story.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Listening to music. :D

https://youtu.be/D1-VWpXIwXk
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Me, I’m playing with my kids and our new puppy. My wife and I try to watch movies after they go to bed. During the day on the weekends I’m in the garage trying to make knives and during the week I’m working from home. But really, it feels like business as usual for me as I’m quite the homebody.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:01 am
I'm a borderline recluse by nature, so pretty much the same ways I stayed busy before it. Romeo gets his 4 half mile walks a day and between those I spend way too much time on the computer, cook, eat, clean the house, play tug of war with him, and watch a show or two on Netflix. I also shop if I need to and, if the weather is nice, get the SLK out for a brisk drive.
What a lucky pup! People think I spoil my girl with 3 walks per day.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

How am i staying busy? Working. My life basically hasn’t changed at all except for my son staying home from school. If anything I have less free time at the moment.

We just got a fresh heavy 8 inches of snow so snow removal is going to eat up any free time I might have had today.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Puppy-aged Cairn Terriers.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

since i haven't watched tv in more than a decade, i read, watch netflix or amazon prime movies / series. lately, i just finished up the chef show on netflix. a great watch.

pic from the hot luck bbq in austin, TX.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm fortunate enough to still be working. This pallet of supplies just came in. To be a good, honest employee....or to sell this pallet on the black market, retire now and live on a yacht and have my own island?? :p

Resized_20200325_102355.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Working

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

61221D75-D2CF-47B0-88C1-B246F7D7179E.jpeg
-Darby
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I had a 2+2 300+ HP BMW that my wife hated. We live just off the southern end of the Garden State Parkway where the average speed is high 2 figures to well into 3 figures. She got nervous anywhere over 100.
Enter the lock down. For many years we lived in the middle of the Pine Barrens and my thing was to take large numbers of jeeps out into said wilderness.To cut this short, since i'm in a control group and can't be around people for the time being she took my BMW about 30 miles north to a dealership, traded it in, and came home with a new crew cab 4x4.
For the last couple of weeks we've been having a great time most every afternoon going 30 to 35 miles into an area I know well and we both love.
I just finished getting a couple of our rods ready for tommorow and a little pickerel expedition. We are doing fine.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Amused myself for a couple hours yesterday evening and this morning, stringing along a scammer who called to tell me I'd won 2nd Prize in a Publishers Clearinghouse sweepstakes and that the prize would consist of a check for 2.5 million dollars, $50,000 in cash, and a new Mercedes Benz. Normally I shut these guys down in the first 30 seconds, as it would be hard for me to win a sweepstakes I never entered, but I just wanted to see where this would go. Also figured I was doing a public service by preventing him from calling someone more gullible for that time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahahah, well played Paul! What a bunch of scum, especially at a time like this.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I spent the day using up odd bits of spare fence timbers in making up a storage crate for spray cans. What with having to hand sand every piece it took all day to build something that costs about £5 in Ikea.....
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

As a 70 year old diabetic with stage 4 kidney disease, I find myself not doing much. I know I am high risk for the virus. The fear of catching this is ever present. I do miss babysitting my 2 year old grandson. The combination of my medical problems has left me with little energy and dialysis is definitely on the horizon. My hope for all of you is stay safe and be careful.