Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DTPrime

Re: Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Post by DTPrime »

Back in stock for those who missed the first batch. Also wanted to shout out REC for both handling a mix up on my order awesomely and this policy message which I'm sure many around here will appreciate:

"IMPORTANT RULES REGARDING THIS EXCLUSIVE: WE DO NOT DO THESE SO PEOPLE CAN FLIP THEM RIGHT AWAY AND MAKE A QUICK BUCK, WE LISTEN TO THE COMMUNITY AND TRY TO BRING AWESOME WORKING KNIVES TO THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO USE THEM AND COLLECT THEM! THIS IS WHY WE HAVE A STRICT LIMIT OF ONE PER PERSON. NO EXCEPTIONS, IF YOU ORDER MORE THAN ONE, YOUR ORDER WILL BE CANCELLED AND YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR SPOT. (You may however, order one of each variation, but please order them on the SAME order.) IF YOU GOT ONE ON THE PRESALE LAST WEEK, YOU MAY NOT PURCHASE A DUPLICATE, PLEASE SAVE THESE FOR PEOPLE WHO MISSED OUT ON THE PRESALE. IF YOUR PURCHASING THE SAME KNIFE AGAIN THAT YOU GOT ON THE PRESALE, YOUR ORDER WILL BE CANCELLED AND YOU WILL BE BLACK LISTED FOR FUTURE EXCLUSIVES. OUR GOAL IS TO GET THESE INTO AS MANY HANDS AS POSSIBLE. Thank you!"
The Meat man

Re: Rivers Edge Cutlery Mystery Exclusive (DLC 10V/Coyote Brown G10 Paramilitary 2)

Post by The Meat man »

Good for REC!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

REC has become a "go to" for me. Just placed another order today for a Leatherman based on my last experience with them on the Sprint.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JMM

Post by JMM »

DTPrime wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 pm
Back in stock for those who missed the first batch. Also wanted to shout out REC for both handling a mix up on my order awesomely and this policy message which I'm sure many around here will appreciate:

"IMPORTANT RULES REGARDING THIS EXCLUSIVE: WE DO NOT DO THESE SO PEOPLE CAN FLIP THEM RIGHT AWAY AND MAKE A QUICK BUCK, WE LISTEN TO THE COMMUNITY AND TRY TO BRING AWESOME WORKING KNIVES TO THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO USE THEM AND COLLECT THEM! THIS IS WHY WE HAVE A STRICT LIMIT OF ONE PER PERSON. NO EXCEPTIONS, IF YOU ORDER MORE THAN ONE, YOUR ORDER WILL BE CANCELLED AND YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR SPOT. (You may however, order one of each variation, but please order them on the SAME order.) IF YOU GOT ONE ON THE PRESALE LAST WEEK, YOU MAY NOT PURCHASE A DUPLICATE, PLEASE SAVE THESE FOR PEOPLE WHO MISSED OUT ON THE PRESALE. IF YOUR PURCHASING THE SAME KNIFE AGAIN THAT YOU GOT ON THE PRESALE, YOUR ORDER WILL BE CANCELLED AND YOU WILL BE BLACK LISTED FOR FUTURE EXCLUSIVES. OUR GOAL IS TO GET THESE INTO AS MANY HANDS AS POSSIBLE. Thank you!"
This is freakin' awesome, I applaud you REC! I can only hope that others, the big boys in particular take note of the position REC is taking.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I missed this didn't see this thread, I signed up for the REC notification email but never got one.
JMM

Post by JMM »

anycal wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:48 pm
Awesome specimen! The detent is a lot stronger and crisper than any other PM2 in my possession. About the same as my modded one. Love it!

Color comparison.

It really is an interesting colour, not exactly what I was expecting, but it really looks good with some of the warmer, fall like colours that are more and more common these days, I dig it! :D

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

This is killing me! We're at our cabin for two weeks, and mine is sitting at my house in the city...just waiting for me...luckily a friend is staying at our house and will keep it safe.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

Missed the first drop but pumped I grabbed a satin on this one... Love the grind lines on these & the rex45 models.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

Mm1313 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:44 pm
Missed the first drop but pumped I grabbed a satin on this one... Love the grind lines on these & the rex45 models.
They do both have very distinct grinds- and the 10v PM2 is also the sharpest knife I've received to date with the Rex45 Manix a close second.
3F227363-2959-4337-B74C-172FFF609094.jpeg
JMM

Post by JMM »

DTPrime wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:07 pm
Mm1313 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:44 pm
They do both have very distinct grinds- and the 10v PM2 is also the sharpest knife I've received to date with the Rex45 Manix a close second.

3F227363-2959-4337-B74C-172FFF609094.jpeg
My Manix2 Rex45 was sharp, but not exceeding sharp, not enough to keep me from sharpening it immediately... but this new PM2 is the sharpest knife, from any factory, from any country, from any company for that matter that I have ever received. I did not sharpen mine, I did strop it, and afterwards was able to get it to snag on a hair, but not quite whittle it... fan-freakin-tastic! ;) :D
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

soulspy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:44 am
I have a small chip in the edge that should sharpen out, if you look directly under the spyder logo you can see it like a black pepper flake
Is it a chip or a deformation?
I dont know the difference of what your asking but there is a small "knick" out of one side of the blade edge, but can be seen a little on the other side.

Out of box I never noticed it until a patina started and left the "knick" a black spot.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:08 pm
soulspy wrote:
SpyderGrill wrote:
I have a small chip in the edge that should sharpen out, if you look directly under the spyder logo you can see it like a black pepper flake
I dont know the difference of what your asking but there is a small "knick" out of one side of the blade edge, but can be seen a little on the other side.

Out of box I never noticed it until a patina started and left the "knick" a black spot.
I mean if you look at the defect in the edge under magnification, is there a piece missing or did the edge material roll and deform? Just curious to know how tough the steel is. Since these just came out, no one knows the hardness they ran the 10V at. If it's too hard, it chips. If it's too soft it rolls, but won't stay sharp as long...Hopefully someone runs the rockwell tester on one of these.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

This brown looks much better in person. Looks good next to burnt orange too.
Attachments
20200327_123459.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Hopefully that pic is better.
Attachments
20200327_124151.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
anycal

Post by anycal »

Color chalange accepted :D

Kidding aside, factory edge has been performing very well. The K390 model has lasted the longest. This one is comperable. Once I have a chance to fully sharpen them both, I will conduct a more controlled test.

Peter
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

anycal wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:30 pm
Color chalange accepted :D

Kidding aside, factory edge has been performing very well. The K390 model has lasted the longest. This one is comperable. Once I have a chance to fully sharpen them both, I will conduct a more controlled test.

Pete and those PM2's! :) After or during your tests, do you think you could contribute to this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86207

I've been trying and hoping it would take off, but not having very much luck...
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm liking the look of the 10V/Coyote Brown. I don't have any 10V. So now I'm kind of wishing I would've grabbed one of these lol. On the other hand, I still have PM2s I haven't really carried yet. So maybe it was a good thing that I passed on it. If anybody sees a set of these scales for sale give me a heads up. I'll put 'em on my REX 45 PM2
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I feel the same way, starting to regret not getting one! I'm not the biggest fan of the PM2, and already have 2. But seeing pics of those scales in various kinds of lighting, they look great! Plus a different steel is always fun to add to the arsenal.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
anycal

Post by anycal »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:49 pm
Pete and those PM2's! :) After or during your tests, do you think you could contribute to this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86207

I've been trying and hoping it would take off, but not having very much luck...

Ha! And I didn't even include the other three.

Sure, I will post once I have something to contribute. My beater (20CV) model is used the most these days. Use it for everything, sharpen it frequently. The blade is noticeably shorter than any of my other PM2s. Trying to preserve the others in the herd. So it may be some time before I get to it.
Peter
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

soulspy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:08 pm
soulspy wrote:
SpyderGrill wrote:

I mean if you look at the defect in the edge under magnification, is there a piece missing or did the edge material roll and deform? Just curious to know how tough the steel is. Since these just came out, no one knows the hardness they ran the 10V at. If it's too hard, it chips. If it's too soft it rolls, but won't stay sharp as long...Hopefully someone runs the rockwell tester on one of these.
The steel isnt rolled over, there is a chip out of it. Im not a photographer, this is the best I can do to show both sides