A11 and CPM 10 V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skidoosh

A11 and CPM 10 V

Post by Skidoosh »

Please clarify my understanding. The Micromelt A11 and CPM 10V are essentially the same steel. One made by Carpenter the other by Crucible, correct? My A11 mule is the same steel as CPM 10V?
Albatross

Re: A11 and CPM 10 V

Post by Albatross »

They are very similar. There are a few versions of A11, aside from the Micromelt A11, but they are all virtually identical. Unless someone does a cut test with these steels, it should all feel the same between 10V and A11.

K390, which is supposed to be an "upgraded" A11, is the most different in composition. I still doubt anyone would notice a difference between any of these, as far as edge retention goes. How they sharpen, what kind of edge they take, edge strength, and corrosion resistance, might be the only noticeable differences. I have heard that CPM 10V is less prone to corrosion than K390, and I would assume the 3 versions of A11 on this graph, would be similar to 10V, given how close their compositions are.

I know you did not ask about the other versions of A11 or K390, but I got carried away. I blame the extra free time many of us now have. :D
Attachments
Screenshot_20200327-134957_Knife Steel Compositions.jpg
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Skidoosh wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:31 am
My A11 mule is the same steel as CPM 10V?
Essentially, yes.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:57 am
They are very similar. There are a few versions of A11, aside from the Micromelt A11, but they are all virtually identical. Unless someone does a cut test with these steels, it should all feel the same between 10V and A11.

K390, which is supposed to be an "upgraded" A11, is the most different in composition. I still doubt anyone would notice a difference between any of these, as far as edge retention goes. How they sharpen, what kind of edge they take, edge strength, and corrosion resistance, might be the only noticeable differences. I have heard that CPM 10V is less prone to corrosion than K390, and I would assume the 3 versions of A11 on this graph, would be similar to 10V, given how close their compositions are.

I know you did not ask about the other versions of A11 or K390, but I got carried away. I blame the extra free time many of us now have. :D
Thanks Albatross, good info, I appreciate you sharing
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:57 am

According to Michael Christy - K390 is just slightly more tough at the expense of ultimate edge retention