Shaman XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: Shaman XL

Post by JMM »

I think there are good points and observations all around...
1 - If going 'XL' then perhaps Police-ish length might be cool, less than that might not be all that enticing
2 - Four inches is the legal limit for some folks, which works back into #1
3 - There is the 'Chief' already available that gives that 4+ inch blade available in the same family

That said, it's an interesting idea, I would certainly love to hold/check out a XL Shaman, somehow I would imagine it's not super likely.

I am very interested in that Shaman 'cousin' Sal said he was working on.... I am super excited about that for sure!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What do you Shaman fans use your shaman for? It's kinda chunky as an EDC, one would think
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I’d buy it, maybe TWO!

Just come out of the gate with S-90V and it will be an instant success!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 pm
Evil, how about Spyderco Chieftain as a name? Was it used before?

I dig it :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:50 pm
What do you Shaman fans use your shaman for? It's kinda chunky as an EDC, one would think

Pretty much anything I use my other knives for, though I do have others that slicer better. I guess I'm one of the minority that appreciates the thicker rounded handle, I'd have it on every knife I own if I could.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:44 pm

I am very interested in that Shaman 'cousin' Sal said he was working on.... I am super excited about that for sure!
:eek: Could you please elaborate?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd likely buy one.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

With this long and heavy of a blade is it going to have to have the spring detent like the Szabo? I hope not.

Also, why not at least make this a flash batch and never make it again.
Last edited by Dazen on Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:06 pm
JMM wrote:

I'm not sure if this made it's way into his bombshell thread but it certainly should be there....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86153&p=1406714&hil ... n#p1406714

...We'll probably keep the full flat on the Shaman to be able to take more "abuse". I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. 'mI thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Probably my favorite model for work. Manix is a very close 2nd. It's great for serious cutting, probably not the best for envelope opening or simple things like that. Fills out the hand for an amazing grip, no hump and just wants to work.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86207
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

GarageBoy wrote:
Yeah I don't usually carry mine as an edc in the city, but I've either got a Shaman or a Manix in my pocket every day when I'm at our cabin. The Shaman can do most hard use things I'd typically use a fixed blade for outside, and it's a lot more convenient for me to carry a hefty folder than a fixed blade if I'm going in and out all day. But I will say, in the city I still grab the Shaman to break down thick cardboard, and lots of people on here love them as warehouse/work knives.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JMM wrote:
I'm not sure if this made it's way into his bombshell thread but it certainly should be there....

...We'll probably keep the full flat on the Shaman to be able to take more "abuse". I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. 'mI thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight...
MAN! This definitely should be in the "bombshell" thread if it is not already there!

Thanks for sharing, I think I´d really love that knife (courious what the "totally different materials" might be... since Sal talks about light weight, one might think FRN, but then new models seldom come out in FRN initially if it is not clear from the beginning that they will sell well...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Hmm, it could work, 4 inch blade and nice contoured handle scales. No hump. Compression lock...
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:56 pm
JMM wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JMM wrote:

MAN! This definitely should be in the "bombshell" thread if it is not already there!

Thanks for sharing, I think I´d really love that knife (courious what the "totally different materials" might be... since Sal talks about light weight, one might think FRN, but then new models seldom come out in FRN initially if it is not clear from the beginning that they will sell well...)

It seemed like a pretty big deal to me but I haven't seen or heard a peep about it since he posted that... I was just thinking about re-posting it up to the bombshell thread, feel free to if you'd like... something in FRN is probably the most obvious and likely option, I think a shaman that weighed less but kept the general feel and function and size would be a hit, I would buy one the second it hit the streets....
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I'd be in for an XL version