10V Patina

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderGrill

10V Patina

Post by SpyderGrill »

Show it
emanuel

Re: 10V Patina

Post by emanuel »

Beautiful.
JMM

Post by JMM »

That is absolutely awesome, how may I ask did you accomplish that?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's the way I like them right there! LOVE when they get the blueish hue. I didn't think it would be as pronounced with 10V, reminds me of my Super Blue...expect a WAY BETTER steel! Good to know, thanks for posting that!

Just for reference...this is Super Blue after cutting up steak, mushrooms and asparagus. Would love to see 10V after cutting the same or comparable foods.

Resized_20191231_135905.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I think I must be the only person that doesn't really like their knives to patina. I keep them very lightly oiled to avoid it. I like the colorful patinas people post on here, but maybe it's my OCD that prefers to keep them looking new and shiny.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:47 pm
I think I must be the only person that doesn't really like their knives to patina. I keep them very lightly oiled to avoid it. I like the colorful patinas people post on here, but maybe it's my OCD that prefers to keep them looking new and shiny.
Me too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
archangel

Post by archangel »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Me too

Here's another.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JMM

Post by JMM »

archangel wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:26 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Me too

Here's another.
I'm in the same boat.... I forced a patina once upon a time and I hated it. I find keeping a super thin coat of mineral oil on my blades, tool steels in particular keeps them happy ant patina free. I will say though, the OPs pic is cool looking!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I like patina that’s natural over the course of normal use. The forced patinas usually look it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 pm
I like patina that’s natural over the course of normal use. The forced patinas usually look it.
This.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Well, nice to see I'm not alone. But I agree the OP's colorful patina (and Rick's superblue and lots of others I've seen here) do look really cool.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You are definitely not the only one. :)
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

JMM wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:09 pm
That is absolutely awesome, how may I ask did you accomplish that?
I first sliced strawberries for my daughters lunch. I didnt wash the blade off for an hour or two. Then did some more to top off their ice cream. That gave a lot of blues and gold coloring to the blade............

Then I smoked a pork butt one day and stuck the blade in it for an hour while it rested.

Followed up by slicing more strawberries, pineapple, and today watermelon.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I bought several Mora basic 511's just to play with forcing patinas, the kids love to squirt mustard, ketchup, BBQ sauce on them to see what happens and you have a good knife for $10 after your done having fun
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Oh lol, dont forget the Opinels to play with as well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:05 pm
That's the way I like them right there! LOVE when they get the blueish hue. I didn't think it would be as pronounced with 10V, reminds me of my Super Blue...expect a WAY BETTER steel! Good to know, thanks for posting that!

Just for reference...this is Super Blue after cutting up steak, mushrooms and asparagus. Would love to see 10V after cutting the same or comparable foods.

Resized_20191231_135905.jpeg
That is beautiful!
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

I live where they salt the roads daily and it rains a lot and found even with oil my Maxamet native was turning black and had spots on it so I never carried my Maxamet para 2 or 3. Not a single time did they get out. I traded them both for a titanium ZT0562 and actually carry the thing! I did not see the use in knives that would just sit there because I couldn’t take them out.

I was the only person that appreciated the steel and was so happy to have rare knives...to a point. One guy said “Wouldn’t it be cool to have one here at coffee and show it rather than leave them wrapped up at home?” And then it dawned on me it was a lot of money to leave in a drawer.

I will have M4 now and use it and clean it now and then but that is all. The 10v and Max never saw use and I got rid of them for 20cv.
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Patina looks nice, but as for me I don't like rust prone steel on folders. IMHO