Shaman XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Shaman XL

Post by Evil D »

Give it a 4 inch blade, 3.5 inches of edge and call it the Spyderco Elder since there's already a Spyderco Warrior.

:cool:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dazen

Re: Shaman XL

Post by Dazen »

I’d buy it, and just come out of the gate with Crucarta and it will be an instant success!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Could be interesting...the only thing that would need to be addressed is the weight. I worry about making the Shaman any heavier than it already is. Now, that being said the Manix XL is basically the same weight as the regular Manix so it could be done right?
Justin :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Meh.

But, then, I have a Tatanka.

And never carry it...

I love the Shaman as is.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JustinB wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:56 am
Could be interesting...the only thing that would need to be addressed is the weight. I worry about making the Shaman any heavier than it already is. Now, that being said the Manix XL is basically the same weight as the regular Manix so it could be done right?

It'll be heavier for sure but I wouldn't think more than a half ounce if that. We're only talking about another inch or so in overall length. If they went with a FRN back spacer or no spacer at all that would trim weight, though also change the balance too.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:59 am
Meh.

And never carry it...

I love the Shaman as is.

Oh it's quite good, besides the Caribbean/Military/Sliverax it's probably my favorite model, I just like them on the bigger side.
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy a Shaman XL. I think I'd like it better than the regular size. I suspect I'd prefer the Manix platform in the standard size (over the Shaman) and the Shaman platform over the Manix in the XL variants.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This would also be great because Spyderco doesn’t currently have a 4” comp lock. And if weight is a concern I’m not opposed to Ti liners and CF :D
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:21 am
Give it a 4 inch blade, 3.5 inches of edge and call it the Spyderco Elder since there's already a Spyderco Warrior.

:cool:
Yes
Yes
Yes
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JMM

Post by JMM »

I absolutely love the Shaman, size, weight, form, function, everything, but it seems to me like doing an "XL" version with the blade length something more akin to the Police, like ~4.4" blade and 4.0" edge would be more of an "XL" and more of an enticing jump in size to buy.... am I off base here?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JMM wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 pm
I absolutely love the Shaman, size, weight, form, function, everything, but it seems to me like doing an "XL" version with the blade length something more akin to the Police, like ~4.4" blade and 4.0" edge would be more of an "XL" and more of an enticing jump in size to buy.... am I off base here?

Well yeah, I wouldn't even call it a Shaman XL. After the Manix XL I think "XL" is cursed. Just make a bigger Shaman and give it a name that goes along with the tribal name theme like Native/Chief.
~David
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Can't say I would be interested, but I'm also not opposed to the idea of giving people more options for large blades.

I would be surprised if we saw something like a Shaman XL anytime soon, given the fairly recent release of the Native Chief, which is roughly the same profile and length as the proposed XL, but thinner and not a Compression lock knife. Might be too similar to be worth the risk. Unfortunately, 4"+ blades aren't the most desirable, due to social conditioning and ridiculous knife laws.

Having said all that, I hope everyone who wants an XL Shaman, is able to get one at some point. If more people carried big knives, the world wouldn't be so afraid of man's oldest tool. This is part of the reason my P4 gets so much use. My wife and family no longer even notice it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Meh.

And never carry it...

I love the Shaman as is.

Oh it's quite good, besides the Caribbean/Military/Sliverax it's probably my favorite model, I just like them on the bigger side.
Bigger for me too. Heavier, not so much.

The Shaman starts heavy (just right for me) but would quickly exceed my tolerance in a folder, hence my Tatanka reference.

Whatever, forum preferences strike me as leaning lightweight, if not also small. A Shaman XL has quite a row to hoe.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Meh.

And never carry it...

I love the Shaman as is.

Bigger for me too. Heavier, not so much.

The Shaman starts heavy (just right for me) but would quickly exceed my tolerance in a folder, hence my Tatanka reference.

Whatever, forum preferences strike me as leaning lightweight, if not also small. A Shaman XL has quite a row to hoe.

I'm still hopeful. The Military isn't really a fair comparison with it's minimal liners, but the Police 4 is a monster and it doesn't weight all that much at 4.5oz. much of the Shaman weight is in the blade so unless they grind it thinner it'll probably be 5.5-5.75oz or so which isn't too horrible considering how much of a tank it would be. The Lionspy is just a bit under 6oz. I generally prefer lighter weight (I'm absolutely opposed to making the Military any bit heavier) but on this model I think I'd be ok if it stayed at or just under 6oz.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I´d love to see a Shaman XL
I´d love to handle and try a Shaman XL
... but to be honest I´d probably very rarely carry a Shaman XL and in the end take a fixed blade over it most times for "Shaman XL tasks"...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm
I´d love to see a Shaman XL
I´d love to handle and try a Shaman XL
... but to be honest I´d probably very rarely carry a Shaman XL and in the end take a fixed blade over it most times for "Shaman XL tasks"...
I'm with you on this. 4+ inches and I'd probably rather be using a fixed blade. Plus 4" is the legal limit for concealed folders in my state. So I don't own any folders over that length - I could carry them on our property, but I can also open carry a fixed blade out there, too, without anyone caring.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Bigger IS better. :)

I'm interested.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

No interest from me on an XL/Elder, but I can see the appeal for those with giant mitts. Now that they found the "special sauce" for selling Shamans, this could happen.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Y'all know this would be smaller in overall length than a Military, right?
~David
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil, how about Spyderco Chieftain as a name? Was it used before?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45