I Have a Problem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
208 tim

Re: I Have a Problem

Post by 208 tim »

It's not a problem, it's a way of life. Always carry a knife.
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

Rule 9: Never go anywhere without a knife.

Good choice on the Manix. I thought I might like it, but I really love it. Still need to try the LW, but there’s every possibility that REX45 will solve that for me...
BoydDroid

Post by BoydDroid »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:38 pm
Welcome to the Forum, BoydDroid! :)

When does Spyderco #1 arrive?
Oh my goodness, are you ever going to be amazed!
:spyder:

That is a beautiful knife.
~Brian
Kapara
SpydieChef
Manix 2 - Brown G-10 - M390 - DLC Blade - C101GPBNBK2
Manix 2 - Red G-10 - CPM 20CV - C101GPRD2
PM2 - Purple G-10 Cruwear
Smock - CPM S30CV

"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo, but doesn't" Mark Twain
BoydDroid

Post by BoydDroid »

I finally got shipping confirmation for the Manix. Scheduled delivery is Thursday. Not sure I can wait that long. :eek:
~Brian
Kapara
SpydieChef
Smock - CPM S30CV

"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo, but doesn't" Mark Twain
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

BoydDroid wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:41 pm
I finally got shipping confirmation for the Manix. Scheduled delivery is Thursday. Not sure I can wait that long. :eek:
Has anyone told you about the Sharpmaker? - thats next!

Welcome to the club
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
BoydDroid

Post by BoydDroid »

No, what is the Sharpmaker?

Delivery originally scheduled for delivery tomorrow. It is out for delivery today.
~Brian
Kapara
SpydieChef
Smock - CPM S30CV

BoydDroid

Post by BoydDroid »

I have it in my hand! It's a big larger than I anticipated, a bit stiff opening with the Spidey hole, takes more pressure than I thought to disengage the lock but it free-falls closed. It locks with a resounding/satisfying click. It's very sharp.

This is the first time I've held a Spyderco. I looked for a store in town, there aren't many knife stores in Las Vegas. Bass Pro Shop has a large selection of knives but no Spyderco knives for some reason.

I do have to say I'm impressed.
~Brian
Kapara
SpydieChef
Smock - CPM S30CV

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It should break in for you after a bit and be easier to disengage. If not, you could always tweak the pivot screw a tad. In the past, I've dropped a tiny dab of nano oil into the lock and it's helped smooth things out a bit as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BoydDroid

Post by BoydDroid »

Everyone said...oh no, you don't have a problem. You're fine. Don't worry, they said.

Well, yesterday I ordered my second Manix 2. Red G10, 20cv, from DLT Trading. Arriving tomorrow, thanks to very prompt shipping from DLT Trading, within a couple hours of ordering. I had one slight panic, I looked at my receipt and the zip code is wrong ( two zeros replaced with two nines, an obvious typo) but tracking info has the right zip.

Is there a 12 step program for this?
~Brian
Kapara
SpydieChef
Smock - CPM S30CV

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nope! Your problem will only get worse! (My favorite problem I have though :p ) You picked a great knife to get you going!

Resized_20200416_184028.jpeg

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

BoydDroid wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:40 pm
Everyone said...oh no, you don't have a problem. You're fine. Don't worry, they said.

Well, yesterday I ordered my second Manix 2. Red G10, 20cv, from DLT Trading. Arriving tomorrow, thanks to very prompt shipping from DLT Trading, within a couple hours of ordering. I had one slight panic, I looked at my receipt and the zip code is wrong ( two zeros replaced with two nines, an obvious typo) but tracking info has the right zip.

If there is, you won't find it here! The DLT 20cv was my 4th manix purchase...this year. :rolleyes:
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 am
BoydDroid wrote:

If there is, you won't find it here! The DLT 20cv was my 4th manix purchase...this year. :rolleyes:
HA!!! You got one!? I thought you were saying you were holding off on this one... No will power Julia :p

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 am
BoydDroid wrote:

HA!!! You got one!? I thought you were saying you were holding off on this one... No will power Julia :p
Yeah...I made it two and a half hours before I caved! I kept thinking "surely it's sold out by now." I blame DLT for getting such a good-sized order. ;) But I trimmed 7 knives from my collection last week, so I'm sticking with my rule. But if this trend continues, eventually I'll just have like 35 manixes and nothing else!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Ain't no such thing as a problem as long as it's healthy. Knives are tools after all, and Spyderco makes very good ones.
I got trapped in the Spydie web last October, and have bought six since. The Manix isn't my favourite so far, but that's because I'm a tip-down degenerate.
I've been into pocket knives for years, but only started looking into higher-end stuff a year ago. Boy does that rabbit hole go deep !
I thought Spydies looked funny too, then I got the first one in my hand. I was sold. You can't go wrong with a Golden knife however.
Welcome to the junkie fold. Now let's see if you're a knife, steel or edge guy ;)
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BoydDroid wrote:

There is most definitely a 12 step program...

Unfortunately, all the steps involve buying more knives.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Be warned! Spydercos are seriously addicting! You will keep seeing more and more you cannot live without.

You are going to love that Manix 2. I have 3.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Try a Para Military 2, or maybe a Para 3 next - you won't regret it. Also highly-recommended: The Native 5, almost like a smaller Manix with a backlock.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BoydDroid

Post by BoydDroid »

I see I have a way to go to catch up to you people. I thought I was strange with a second Manix 2. Two in Two months, can't wait till the wife finds out (yes I can). I had seen there had been a red one previously and liked it but I was unwilling to pay Ebay prices, not to mention the possibility of fakes. So when I got notified it was out again I couldn't resist, and bought it as soon as it was available. I too was surprised how long it took to sell out.

Thanks for the replies. Make feel like I'm not alone.

This one was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. It's out for delivery today!
~Brian
Kapara
SpydieChef
Smock - CPM S30CV

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spyderco knives are great, you will not be disappointed. However, I will not enable you to over-buy. What you have now will last a lifetime + and continued buying is only a short-lived high. I now have a large collection that I never intended to start and it has not made me a bit happier. Find your own comfort level, but remember sometimes less is more.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just as Sal said, most of us choose our first blade based upon appearance. That certainly was the case for me.
I went with the Vallotton. And, still to this day I love that knife!
And, she is a better slicer and do all knife that one might imagine too. I reckon that's one of the reasons the Vallotton has yet to be retired.