Does anyone have a Police version of "PIG"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Higher

Does anyone have a Police version of "PIG"?

Post by Higher »

I ask for help on the old Spyderco.

Hello everybody. I am Viacheslav from Russia. Some time ago, Spyderco police fell into my hands. I had some questions about it. I ask for help.

This is Spyderco Polise Generation One.
That's for sure. There is no doubt. His hands are not beveled. The unlock position is not in the center. It is closer to the blade. The blade is marked "police model".
On the left is "Spyderco" on the right is "seki-japan".

If I understand correctly, the first generation has two versions. First "PIG". The second is "Police model". This is the first generation of the second version.

And here problems with identification begin.
All Spyderco Police have a Spyderhole diameter of 0.465 (11.8 mm).
This Spyderco Police has a Spyderhole diameter of 0.425 (10.8 mm).
The front upper part of the blade is sharpened a little more than the first generation.

My thoughts are as follows. Models are constantly changing. They are making improvements. When changes are made, a new catalog number is assigned. Or we see a new row in the table on Spyderwiki. In this case, we do not see it.

What is this POLICE? When was it released? Maybe it's worth adding to Spyderwiki? Can I give data for this?

Have a nice day
Sincerely, Vyacheslav
Last edited by Higher on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Higher

Re: I ask for help on the old Spyderco

Post by Higher »

can't attach photo

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If you actually have one of the POLICE models with the "P.I.G" letters on it then you have a real collector's piece. I believe that "P.I.G." version of the POLICE model was made in the early to mid 90s and has a GIN-1 blade steel. I've owned at least 5 of the Spyderco POLICE models over the years and it's one of my all time favorites. The POLICE and the C-36 Military are both are great EDC folders. I currently carry an M390 version of the C-36 Military model.

And welcome to the Forum by the way :) . I've actually done a couple of knife deals over the years with two different guys from Russia. One of them was from Stallingrad and the other was from Moscow. One of my late Uncles had visited your country on a couple of occasions. He was really impressed with a lot of the great and beautiful architecture in your cities. Glad to have you aboard Sir :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Higher wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:48 pm
can't attach photo

Try this!: viewtopic.php?t=83968

And welcome to the forum, Vyacheslav! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Vyacheslav...здравствуйте... :)

Does it look like these?
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... yderco+pig
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Higher wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:43 pm
I ask for help on the old Spyderco.

Hello everybody. I am Viacheslav from Russia. Some time ago, Spyderco police fell into my hands. I had some questions about it. I ask for help.

This is Spyderco Polise Generation One.
That's for sure. There is no doubt. His hands are not beveled. The unlock position is not in the center. It is closer to the blade. The blade is marked "police model".
On the left is "Spyderco" on the right is "seki-japan".

If I understand correctly, the first generation has two versions. First "PIG". The second is "Police model". This is the first generation of the second version.

And here problems with identification begin.
All Spyderco Police have a Spyderhole diameter of 0.465 (11.8 mm).
This Spyderco Police has a Spyderhole diameter of 0.425 (10.8 mm).
The front upper part of the blade is sharpened a little more than the first generation.

My thoughts are as follows. Models are constantly changing. They are making improvements. When changes are made, a new catalog number is assigned. Or we see a new row in the table on Spyderwiki. In this case, we do not see it.

What is this POLICE? When was it released? Maybe it's worth adding to Spyderwiki? Can I give data for this?

Have a nice day
Sincerely, Vyacheslav
You can post a picture using postimage.org. Click hotlink for forums and paste it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Higher

Post by Higher »

Thanks a lot! You are very friendly. I like talking with you.
In fact, I have been on this forum for many years. But registered recently. You have a very friendly chat.

JD Spydo
Thank you for your kind words about Russia. It is very pleasant that your family has a history of communicating with this country. I am sure that there are good people everywhere in the world. Sometimes I manage to travel to other countries. I am sure that someday I will be able to visit America. This is an idea I like so much.
Unfortunately, I do not have a "PIG" version. This is exactly mine has the inscription "Police model". With the inscription "PIG" for all the time I saw only once on ebay. That was about 5 years ago. For me it was very dear about, and then I did not know that I needed this knife. Now yes, I know that I need this knife:-)
I totally agree with you C07 and C36 are great folding knives for EDC.
I bought my first Spyderco knife in April 2009. Now the collection has grown a bit.

Wartstein
Thanks for the help with posting the photo. That helped. This service has a cool logo that displays the name:-)
This is a very convenient service. No registration required. Very simple.

Now I will find that only this photo. A little later I will try to make better photos.

I beg your pardon. I do not know English well. And I use Google translate a bit

Higher

Post by Higher »

Stuart Ackerman
Thanks. No no This is not a "PIG"

Higher

Post by Higher »

A little later I will try to make better photos.

Higher

Post by Higher »

Here's a little better photo.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vyacheslav,

Welcome to our forum. We do have some really great people that hang out here.

Back in the "old days", false edge sharpening bevels were done by hand, so thee could have been minor differences. Serrations were made with a "formed wheel" which wears a little each knife and is re-profiled about every 50 blades, so minor differences are also possible.

The smaller hole sounds odd, as I do not remember ever making one with a hole smaller than 12mm, but also possible back in the '80'd when these were made.

sal
Higher

Post by Higher »

Thanks a lot!
I am very flattered by the attention to my question. Very pleased that Sal in the topic provided information. This valuable information is very important.

Very detailed about edge turning and serreting.
Regarding the hole, my thoughts are now only like that:
The first release is the "PIG" version. He has a spyderhole 11mm. Then they release the version of "Police model" with spyderhole diameter 12mm (now we are talking only about the first generation).
At that moment, when the "PIG" version is stopped doing. Remain blanks with small spyderhole. And they are already marked with the new "police model".

These are just my guesses. We can check it with only one.
If someone can measure the diameter of the Spyderhole on the "PIG" version. Unfortunately, I can’t do this. I don’t have such a knife. Does anyone have a version of "PIG"?

Thank you for your attention to the topic.
Have a nice day.
Viacheslav

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Hi, welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll come to regret your decision, when you get your next bank statement.

I couldn't think of a good "in Soviet Russia" joke, so...

You'll have to settle for a Slav Cat, instead!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Higher

Post by Higher »

Really no one has a version of "pig"?
You just need to measure the spyderhole.
If my version is confirmed, then it will be necessary to make changes to Spyderwiki.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Higher wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:19 pm
Really no one has a version of "pig"?
You just need to measure the spyderhole.
If my version is confirmed, then it will be necessary to make changes to Spyderwiki.

Hi Vyacheslav,

To make sure more people take notice of your question I´d recommend starting a new thread and asking that very question right away in the title... (so something with a title like "Does anyone own a version of the "pig"? Or "Does anyone own an old Police with a smaller diameter spyderhole" or whatever...)

Good luck, greetings from Austria! :)

Gernot
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Higher

Post by Higher »

Gernot, hello!
Glad to communicate with you. Attraction to good knives brings us together!

Thank you very much for this idea! I will try now to change the title of this topic. (I do not know the capabilities of this forum).
If it does not work out, I will start a new topic. I will make a new topic at your suggestion.

Have a nice day.
Take care of yourself and your loved ones.
Viacheslav

tbdoc4kids

Re: Does anyone have a Police version of "PIG"?

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I have a friend who has a PIG Police model. COVID makes it tough for us to get together, but I will see if he can get me the hole measurements on his.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Higher wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 pm
Gernot, hello!
Glad to communicate with you. Attraction to good knives brings us together!

Thank you very much for this idea! I will try now to change the title of this topic. (I do not know the capabilities of this forum).
If it does not work out, I will start a new topic. I will make a new topic at your suggestion.

Have a nice day.
Take care of yourself and your loved ones.
Viacheslav

Hi Viacheslav,

that´s true, people from all parts of the world get to know and probably better understand each other here, and learn that we are really all not that different. That is a another good aspect of this forum! :)

/ I am glad that you got at least one reply to your question as of now by changing the title of the thread!.

BUT: Generally I am sure it is a better idea not to change titles, but to start a new thread in such cases, as I suggested (the forum would get pretty confusing if topic titles were changed all the time - not a problem though this single time, don´t change the title back again I´d say... ;) ).

Obviously I am not an Admin or whatever here, so I can´t speak for the people in charge of this forum, but I am sure you do not have to worry about its capacities... there is certainly enough for new topics, should you like to start such in the future, otherwise Spyderco would tell us and maybe start to delete old threads (but I am sure they´d much rather get a bigger server)

Thanks for your kind words, wish you and your loved ones all the best too! :)
Higher

Re: Does anyone have a Police version of "PIG"?

Post by Higher »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:41 pm
I have a friend who has a PIG Police model. COVID makes it tough for us to get together, but I will see if he can get me the hole measurements on his.

Greetings!

I am so grateful to you.
You are logged into this thread. Maybe you and your friend can help us. If possible, please ask a question to your friend.

Thanks. Take care of yourself.
Your families need you.
Viacheslav