Para 3 lw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zachreed1

Re: Para 3 lw

Post by Zachreed1 »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:50 am
I never warmed to my Para 3 LW. My initial impression was great and if it weren’t for a few issues with it I’m sure I’d like it more. Mine has bad detent slop in the closed position, when the wire clip isn’t requiring bending, despite being loctited, the screw for it is coming loose.

Lots to love there though
I must have gotten lucky. I gambled and got one from amazon. Action, detent, fit and finish were perfect

I have also gotten a few with very loose and sloppy detents.

When they’re good, they’re great though.
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:43 am
I know I’m not the only one guilty of this. It’s been about a month of owning my P3 lw. It’s fantastic in every way so why do I always reach for my delica? The para 3 has superior ergos, action, blade steel, and carries better. The only reason I do carry it is because it’s new and relatively expensive. No other knives in my collection give me the warm and fuzzies like my delica. I love the aesthetic and I love vg10, so easy to keep sharp with a strop.
Delica is just an EDC Mount Rushmore. Never a wrong choice, I resisted forever and finally gave in. The D4 FFG and Dragonfly have me covered
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:30 pm
Zachreed1 wrote:
I know I’m not the only one guilty of this. It’s been about a month of owning my P3 lw. It’s fantastic in every way so why do I always reach for my delica? The para 3 has superior ergos, action, blade steel, and carries better. The only reason I do carry it is because it’s new and relatively expensive. No other knives in my collection give me the warm and fuzzies like my delica. I love the aesthetic and I love vg10, so easy to keep sharp with a strop.
Delica is just an EDC Mount Rushmore. Never a wrong choice, I resisted forever and finally gave in. The D4 FFG and Dragonfly have me covered
What do you mean by Mount Rushmore? And I feel like the same way with the delica and Pm2 but I’m thinking the endura will replace the pm2
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:13 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:30 pm
Zachreed1 wrote:
What do you mean by Mount Rushmore? And I feel like the same way with the delica and Pm2 but I’m thinking the endura will replace the pm2
Mount Rushmore has 4 presidents. It’s a thing people say to get a top 4- like the whopper is on the Mount Rushmore of fast food burgers. If there was a Mount Rushmore of EDC blades, the Delica would certainly occupy one spot
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

No way...Delica has been surpassed by so many models (Chap LW) alone blows it out of the water, especially at the price point. MANY other Spyderco models rank above the Delica these days. If it weren't for the Pakkawood model, I'd never bat an eye.

That's like people stuck in the 80's saying Montana is the greatest qb ever. When it's clearly Brady.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:04 pm
No way...Delica has been surpassed by so many models (Chap LW) alone blows it out of the water, especially at the price point. MANY other Spyderco models rank above the Delica these days. If it weren't for the Pakkawood model, I'd never bat an eye.

That's like people stuck in the 80's saying Montana is the greatest qb ever. When it's clearly Brady.
Well that’s just like, your opinion man
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Doesn’t have to make sense brother. That’s what the order original post is about. My p3lw being fat better on paper but something about my delica still keeps me coming back for more. But with the price constantly climbing up I’d have to agree with you. For $60 delica would be a supreme value and I’d have one in every color. For $85 it’s much less compelling.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:16 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Doesn’t have to make sense brother. That’s what the order original post is about. My p3lw being fat better on paper but something about my delica still keeps me coming back for more. But with the price constantly climbing up I’d have to agree with you. For $60 delica would be a supreme value and I’d have one in every color. For $85 it’s much less compelling.

We already discussed this in another thread, my friend... ;)

It is great that both Para 3 LW and Delica exist, cause they are pretty different choices in the same size category, so more people can find what they like. But neither is objectivley "far better" (again, Delica is a lot slimmer and smaller in pocket, but offers the same edge; Delica is lighter while still being more solidly constructed (liners!) or MUCH lighter when linereless (Salt). Delica for me has clearly superior ergos, at least on the actual handle. Delica has an easily strong enough, but much thinner and slicier blade than the Para 3. )

To be totally honest: I always have a feeling, that the Para 3 would never have been designed as it is, if Spyderco would have had the goal to make the perfect in any aspect small folder from the scratch. I think the goal was to make the best version of a"Lil PM 2", which is perfectly fine. But imho in the small comp. lock folder arena the Sage 5 LW makes more sense from a purely functional point of view (while the Para 3 certainly works just fine and is cool in being a "baby PM2")
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:16 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

We already discussed this in another thread, my friend... ;)

It is great that both Para 3 LW and Delica exist, cause they are pretty different choices in the same size category, so more people can find what they like. But neither is objectivley "far better" (again, Delica is a lot slimmer and smaller in pocket, but offers the same edge; Delica is lighter while still being more solidly constructed (liners!) or MUCH lighter when linereless (Salt). Delica for me has clearly superior ergos, at least on the actual handle. Delica has an easily strong enough, but much thinner and slicier blade than the Para 3. )

To be totally honest: I always have a feeling, that the Para 3 would never have been designed as it is, if Spyderco would have had the goal to make the perfect in any aspect small folder from the scratch. I think the goal was to make the best version of a"Lil PM 2", which is perfectly fine. But imho in the small comp. lock folder arena the Sage 5 LW makes more sense from a purely functional point of view (while the Para 3 certainly works just fine and is cool in being a "baby PM2")
Aha that’s awesome man. Yea I had just gotten over my para3 lw hype and went back to the delica and wanted to talk about it. You know how it is. My endura 4 came in the mail in excellent condition for $50. What a steal. Few rust spots that came out immediately. I have a feeling I’m going to love it. Idk why I was turned off by the size when I first handled it. With the endura/delica combo I think I’m set for anything. Keep it real brother
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Yep! Just one guy's opinion. Personally, I don't think the Delica's been surpassed by anything. I have Para 3s in G10 & LW versions. I also have the Chap LW & CF. I don't see them as blowing the Delica out if the water. Yes, I like them, carry them, and use them. They're great knives IMO. Yet I still carry one of my Delicas just as often....probably more. There's something about the design that just works for me. It's a classic Spyderco design for good reason. It works well at being a pocket knife.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Yep! Just one guy's opinion. Personally, I don't think the Delica's been surpassed by anything. I have Para 3s in G10 & LW versions. I also have the Chap LW & CF. I don't see them as blowing the Delica out if the water. Yes, I like them, carry them, and use them. They're great knives IMO. Yet I still carry one of my Delicas just as often....probably more. There's something about the design that just works for me. It's a classic Spyderco design for good reason. It works well at being a pocket knife.

+1

Imho let´s say compared to the car industry, in the realm of folders the development is a lot more about inventing and designing alternatives rather than necessarrely improvements. The ongoing "comp. lock vs backlock"- disucssion is a good example for that: The comp.lock is a great, ingenious, strong and technically fascinating design, but still not better (or worse) than the backlock. Just two great designs, both optimized by Spyderco, one older, one newer, and two choices so everyone can pick what she/he likes.

Same is true for the Delica: It is just perfect for what it is (and together with the Chap also the "slicey, thin bladed" and just in MY totally subjectiv (!) opinion by that the more reasonable choice for a small folder).
Newer designs are just alternatives, and did not "surpass" older designs just by being more recently developed. Would be a bit narrow-minded to think so imho.

One could argue, that real improvements are made when it comes to materials like steel and handles. Partly true, but still most would agree that for example very "old" steels still have their place, depending on what specific properties one might be looking for....
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

+1

Imho let´s say compared to the car industry, in the realm of folders the development is a lot more about inventing and designing alternatives rather than necessarrely improvements. The ongoing "comp. lock vs backlock"- disucssion is a good example for that: The comp.lock is a great, ingenious, strong and technically fascinating design, but still not better (or worse) than the backlock. Just two great designs, both optimized by Spyderco, one older, one newer, and two choices so everyone can pick what she/he likes.

Same is true for the Delica: It is just perfect for what it is (and together with the Chap also the "slicey, thin bladed" and just in MY totally subjectiv (!) opinion by that the more reasonable choice for a small folder).
Newer designs are just alternatives, and did not "surpass" older designs just by being more recently developed. Would be a bit narrow-minded to think so imho.

One could argue, that real improvements are made when it comes to materials like steel and handles. Partly true, but still most would agree that for example very "old" steels still have their place, depending on what specific properties one might be looking for....
And to expand further, if a model speaks to you who cares if it is out performed by a newer model? I hold my delica, nod my head and think, “Yep.” Performs as good as I could ask for, looks and feels fantastic, and it feels like home.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Pat is correct, the Chap LW and other models in the price range don't "blow the Delica out of the water" per se, but it's hard to deny there are other models out within $20 or so of the standard Delica at $84!! Just looked it, wild it's that price these days.

The Chap LW/Delica comparison has been run into the ground, so no need to get into heavy details there. Steel, materials, pocket clip and ergos for around $15 more. Many seem to prefer the Chap.

The UKPK is another that comes to mind. I believe it's a bit thinner stock and maybe slightly longer cutting edge? I'm yet to see ANYBODY hate on the ergos of the UKPK/Caly 3. Count me in that group as well, incredible ergos!! Depending on the steel you find a UKPK for $20 cheaper in CTS-BD1N steel, which has better qualities over VG10. Or you can spend $20 more than the standard Delica and get a UKPK in S110V. I believe the HH exclusive in S30V will be back in stock as well...we all know that knife is the king of the UKPK :)

And let's face it, if the Delica is your main edc it's not like you're chopping down trees with it, so the UKPK lacking a lock really shouldn't play into the purchasing decision.

Centofante 3 comes to mind as another competitor with similar qualities at a cheaper price.

In short...there seems to be better alternatives for your money when it comes to the standard Delica these days. Equal options for cheaper, or better options for not much more money on knives of similar size.

-Rick
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:13 am
Pat is correct, the Chap LW and other models in the price range don't "blow the Delica out of the water" per se, but it's hard to deny there are other models out within $20 or so of the standard Delica at $84!! Just looked it, wild it's that price these days.

The Chap LW/Delica comparison has been run into the ground, so no need to get into heavy details there. Steel, materials, pocket clip and ergos for around $15 more. Many seem to prefer the Chap.

The UKPK is another that comes to mind. I believe it's a bit thinner stock and maybe slightly longer cutting edge? I'm yet to see ANYBODY hate on the ergos of the UKPK/Caly 3. Count me in that group as well, incredible ergos!! Depending on the steel you find a UKPK for $20 cheaper in CTS-BD1N steel, which has better qualities over VG10. Or you can spend $20 more than the standard Delica and get a UKPK in S110V. I believe the HH exclusive in S30V will be back in stock as well...we all know that knife is the king of the UKPK :)

And let's face it, if the Delica is your main edc it's not like you're chopping down trees with it, so the UKPK lacking a lock really shouldn't play into the purchasing decision.

Centofante 3 comes to mind as another competitor with similar qualities at a cheaper price.

In short...there seems to be better alternatives for your money when it comes to the standard Delica these days. Equal options for cheaper, or better options for not much more money on knives of similar size.
What is what that $84? Amirite bros?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not sure what you're saying or asking...I decipher it to say the standard frn/vg10 Delica is currently priced at $84 new.

-Rick
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:45 am
Not sure what you're saying or asking...I decipher it to say the standard frn/vg10 Delica is currently priced at $84 new.
Criticizing the current prices of the frn japan models. You’re definitely right that there is some steep competition in that price range. If they were $65-$70 this would be a totally different conversation.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Criticizing the current prices of the frn japan models. You’re definitely right that there is some steep competition in that price range. If they were $65-$70 this would be a totally different conversation.
Since this thread is about the Para 3 LW plus it always puzzles me how people find specifically the Delica overpriced (but not other knives):

I don´t think at all that the Delica is "overpriced". But if I did: Then the Para 3 LW would be even more "overpriced" imho. I mean, you pay at least 20 % more for a Para 3 LW... and for what? Maybe a slightly "better" steel (regarding edge retention of BD1N), but then VG10 is an almost perfect EDC steel already imho.

But other than that: The Delica is not "outdated " cause it has been around for a long time, but just quite the reverse it is still around because it is just a perfect and prooven design (and don´t forget: The current one is the fourth, redefined edition already!). The Para 3 has been hyped and liked by many for some time now (and again: It certainly IS a cool knife), but it remains to be seen if it can hold its ground as long as the Delica.
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Since this thread is about the Para 3 LW plus it always puzzles me how people find specifically the Delica overpriced (but not other knives):

I don´t think at all that the Delica is "overpriced". But if I did: Then the Para 3 LW would be even more "overpriced" imho. I mean, you pay at least 20 % more for a Para 3 LW... and for what? Maybe a slightly "better" steel (regarding edge retention of BD1N), but then VG10 is an almost perfect EDC steel already imho.

But other than that: The Delica is not "outdated " cause it has been around for a long time, but just quite the reverse it is still around because it is just a perfect and prooven design (and don´t forget: The current one is the fourth, redefined edition already!). The Para 3 has been hyped and liked by many for some time now (and again: It certainly IS a cool knife), but it remains to be seen if it can hold its ground as long as the Delica.
That is a peculiar thing. Is it too late to change the name of this thread?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Technically you could change the name, since you are the op..

But it was you who initially brought the Delica into play ;) (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86132#p1406601) and said you´d somehow find it inferior, but still would prefer it... and then someone categorically stated, that the Delica would have been surpassed and blown out of the water by so many other models as if this would be an objectiv fact, that´s how the discussion started.

But I think that´s fine! Discussions are what make this forum interesting and fun... :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:03 pm
Zachreed1 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
Technically you could change the name, since you are the op..

But it was you who initially brought the Delica into play ;) (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86132#p1406601) and said you´d somehow find it inferior, but still would prefer it... and then someone categorically stated, that the Delica would have been surpassed and blown out of the water by so many other models as if this would be an objectiv fact (which it just can´t be), that´s how the discussion started.

But I think that´s fine! Discussions are what make this forum interesting and fun... :)
Changing the name won’t be necessary. Do the elders speak of a delica/endura 5? I can’t imagine what I would change besides an index finger choil